Any other motorcyclists here?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Re: Any other motorcyclists here?

Post by Cowsham »

carpetcleaner wrote:I've always used my bicycles for nearly all everyday trips but I used to have motorbikes for longer ones.Then I found that motorcycling in winter just became too cold and miserable once I got to about 35 so I bought a car. I was a utilitarian motorcyclist and though I enjoyed riding them I never went on pleasure rides in the country like I do on my bicycles.

To be perfectly honest I much prefer cycling now to motorcycling. Although I can't let go of motorcycling.
I am here. Where are you?
millimole

Post by millimole »

I've had a motorbike of one sort or another for the last 40 years. The last three bikes have been twist and go scooters of at least 150cc. The current (and probably the last) is a 180cc Sym - it does what I want which is to take me on trips that are a bit too far to cycle with ease and improbable by public transport. I ought to sell it, but its easier to keep the thing!
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Usually have a few knocking about. Currently BMW R1200GS, BMW R90S, Royal Enfield Constellation 700, Royal Enfield 350 Bullet trials and an MZ TS250.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
millimole

Post by millimole »

pete75 wrote:Usually have a few knocking about. Currently BMW R1200GS, BMW R90S, Royal Enfield Constellation 700, Royal Enfield 350 Bullet trials and an MZ TS250.
MZ250 - I had three back in the day. The last one was bought new from Burwins in London with a full fairing, electronic ignition, tyres that stuck to the road, and a Honda front brake that stopped the bike. It was a revelation after the previous two!
The big end eventually went and I gave it to a mate who'd been lusting after it.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

I ride motorcycles.

Since the age of 17 (a while ago), have always cycled and motorcycled: currently in the garage: 1999 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide, 1979 Suzuki GS1000E and a 1950 Triumph Thunderbird.

All of the above owned for some time.

John.
AgentWayward

Post by AgentWayward »

Interesting stories and machines!

I've ridden motorcycles most days of my life, commuting, socially, touring, off road etc. I finished up owning and running a sidecar company for 10 years, very enjoyable business.
Currently have an air cooled DucatI Multistrada, BMW R80 Sidecar outfit, Kawasaki Versys and a Honda Grom 125.

My wife rides too, so we enjoy touring around Europe.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

millimole wrote:
pete75 wrote:Usually have a few knocking about. Currently BMW R1200GS, BMW R90S, Royal Enfield Constellation 700, Royal Enfield 350 Bullet trials and an MZ TS250.
MZ250 - I had three back in the day. The last one was bought new from Burwins in London with a full fairing, electronic ignition, tyres that stuck to the road, and a Honda front brake that stopped the bike. It was a revelation after the previous two!
The big end eventually went and I gave it to a mate who'd been lusting after it.

Got a CB175 front brake on mine.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

I see that you have an R90S.

I've just had a major humming/hahhing session over buying one that came up for sale fairly locally.

I've always wanted one and this one looked a beauty, in my prefered colour - Daytona Orange. I was beaten to it by someone who was quicker to make his mind up than I was. My loss ans I deserve all that I get. Anyway, hope you enjoy yours.

I've had more motorbikes than I can remember (I'm 62) All the Jap' stuff, Brit' stuff, Harleys, ducati, BMW etc etc. The best bike that I ever owned was my BMW R1150GS. It munched mile after mile of roads all over Europe, an amazing motorcycle. I traded it in for a new R1200GS in 2006. The day that I traded it in I just knew that I was making a mistake. The new bike was nothing like as well made as that 1150.

I still hanker after one last two stroke but prices have gone mad for things like Yamaha 250/350 LCs
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Tiberius wrote:

I see that you have an R90S.

I've just had a major humming/hahhing session over buying one that came up for sale fairly locally.

I've always wanted one and this one looked a beauty, in my prefered colour - Daytona Orange. I was beaten to it by someone who was quicker to make his mind up than I was. My loss ans I deserve all that I get. Anyway, hope you enjoy yours.

I've had more motorbikes than I can remember (I'm 62) All the Jap' stuff, Brit' stuff, Harleys, ducati, BMW etc etc. The best bike that I ever owned was my BMW R1150GS. It munched mile after mile of roads all over Europe, an amazing motorcycle. I traded it in for a new R1200GS in 2006. The day that I traded it in I just knew that I was making a mistake. The new bike was nothing like as well made as that 1150.

I still hanker after one last two stroke but prices have gone mad for things like Yamaha 250/350 LCs

Mines the 328th made, very early and they only did those in what BMW
call smoke black and silver. Looks ok though. Got mine from an auction at the National Motorcycle Museum.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Tiberius wrote:

Prices for Elsie's have plateaued now and I think fell back a bit while prices of enduro bikes have gone up big time -- but most of these old two stroke road bikes aren't great to ride -- buy a TDR250 it's completely unique and still affordable --( finding one is more of a challenge ) no other bike is ( or will ever again with emission laws now ) built in this format. The best thing is that the handling ( with road tyres ) is light years ahead of the Elsie's.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cowsham wrote:
Tiberius wrote:

Prices for Elsie's have plateaued now and I think fell back a bit while prices of enduro bikes have gone up big time -- but most of these old two stroke road bikes aren't great to ride -- buy a TDR250 it's completely unique and still affordable --( finding one is more of a challenge ) no other bike is ( or will ever again with emission laws now ) built in this format. The best thing is that the handling ( with road tyres ) is light years ahead of the Elsie's.

I used to have a Kawasaka triple S1 two stroke. I bought it from a shifty young guy. By the time I was finished with it it wouldnt go past 60mph, the seat was rotton and the rear drum brake was oval the front forks had next to no chrome on the stantions, any leaking concealed under gaiters, the right foot peg was bolted on, And it passed its MOT ( happy days :lol: ) I left it out in the street after moving and heard some noise at 3 am , too tired to get up, next morming it had gone. Well saved me the trouble of disposing of it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: did me a great favour. The big end was about had it as the bearing were so loose. I remember once belting along the A12 leaving a long trail of smoke due to the oil that tended to gather in the silencers with just puttering around, that needed exhausting :lol: at the time there was a motor cycle cop on the other side of the dual carriage way who looked over at this spectacle, lucky I suppose there was no trurn off for a couple of miles for him to collar me :lol:

The funny thing such a device could these days count as an historical vehicle and go under the radar of the London ULEZ so belch smoke in central London and the cops couldnt do anything about it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have also had a Tomos moped bought from Woolies. And a Kawaskai KH100 ( that was a nice 100cc 2 stroke that had a good punch) and finally the Diversion 900s I have now had for 20+ years.
Last edited by mercalia on 10 Jan 2020, 12:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Cowsham wrote:
Tiberius wrote:

Funny you should say that....

I know of a bloke who completely rebuilt an LC 250. He did a proper immaculate job (it was featured in a magazine) and after all that he didn't really like it.

He then got hold of a TDR 250 and absolutely loved it. You wouldn't think that they would be THAT different would you? I know that the TDR has YPVS but even so.

You've got me looking on ebay now.... :mrgreen:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Tiberius wrote:
Cowsham wrote:
Tiberius wrote:

I know of a bloke who completely rebuilt an LC 250. He did a proper immaculate job (it was featured in a magazine) and after all that he didn't really like it.

He then got hold of a TDR 250 and absolutely loved it. You wouldn't think that they would be THAT different would you? I know that the TDR has YPVS but even so.

differnt frame makes all the difference. The 250/350 were quite small?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-TDR250-3CK-Model-With-Just-Over-12K-Miles-Recorded-Immaculate-Condition/163976307000?hash=item262dbfe138:g:bRgAAOSw96ld6cTE

only £6000 :roll:

One bike I would have liked an Yamaha RD400 or a suzuki twin two stroke GT 500

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1976-Suzuki-GT500-In-Very-Good-Original-Condition/153788261185?hash=item23ce7ea341:g:jq8AAOSwHrldwxJR

or this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1971-SUZUKI-T500-CLASSIC-2-STROKE-TAX-MOT-EXEMPT-PRE-GT500/163931147687?hash=item262b0ecda7:g:Y8gAAOSw2XddwS2p

all way too expensive now to consider
Last edited by mercalia on 10 Jan 2020, 12:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Tiberius wrote:
Cowsham wrote:
Tiberius wrote:

Granted the TDR has 10 years development on the Elsie's but they are over 30years old now and easier to ride. Another 10 years they will be tax free. You also won't have any capital gains tax to pay when you sell it (at 3 times the price.) :D
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

mercalia wrote:
Tiberius wrote:
Cowsham wrote:

differnt frame makes all the difference. The 250/350 were quite small?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-TDR250-3CK-Model-With-Just-Over-12K-Miles-Recorded-Immaculate-Condition/163976307000?hash=item262dbfe138:g:bRgAAOSw96ld6cTE

only £6000 :roll:

One bike I would have liked an Yamaha RD400 or a suzuki twin two stroke GT 500

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1976-Suzuki-GT500-In-Very-Good-Original-Condition/153788261185?hash=item23ce7ea341:g:jq8AAOSwHrldwxJR

or this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1971-SUZUKI-T500-CLASSIC-2-STROKE-TAX-MOT-EXEMPT-PRE-GT500/163931147687?hash=item262b0ecda7:g:Y8gAAOSw2XddwS2p

all way too expensive now to consider

Love the colour of the T500 -- not that fussed about the gt --- trouble with old two stroke road bikes is that they are very small so if you are tall you'd look silly on them but the TDR sits up well due to the enduro styling.