Any other motorcyclists here?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
landsurfer

Re: Any other motorcyclists here?

Post by landsurfer »

mercalia wrote:
landsurfer wrote:My pride and joy ...used in all weathers all year round for work and pleasure ..... 400cc of rampant power .. ok 27bhp.
Previous stuff .. MZ's all types and capacities, GSXR 1127's, YammaGammaTZ road bike ... Big Kawasaki's and Suzuki's, all types of 2-strokes ..... but my RE Himalayan is just pleasure to ride around on ....

fullsizeoutput_202.jpeg

Thats an Indian Royal Enfield? How much did it cost? oh quite cheap. which one is it?

https://www.motogb.co.uk/make/royal-enfield

I got mine with 320 miles on it, ex demonstrator for £3800 .... An awful lot of bike for the money .. now at 5000 miles without a hitch.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Hobbs1951 wrote:
Cowsham wrote:
tatanab wrote:About 1982 I was riding my café racerised 1960s Triumph (single seat, clip ons, long tank, rear sets) and wearing tatty leathers, when I found myself following what I took to be a nervous rider on a pox box (scooter). He kept looking at me in his mirrors. It wasn't until later that I thought "perhaps he has a sense of history".

Bearing in mind my taste for old style café racers, pretty light, not necessarily much power (1960s Triumph remember), I quite fancy a Mash TT except I have no possible use for it.

01-mash-tt40-cafe-racer.jpg

Watched the review on that -- think I'd rather have the cb250 rs cafe racer I saw on the island last year

Not a CB250RS, the RS was a twin exhaust port single, what you have posted looks (to me) like a cafe'd CB175 or 200.

John.

Sorry John you are of course correct it's not an rs but a K4 ( had a k4 myself so should have known ) that was a photo I got from the net that looked very similar -- but I dug out the photo I took on the island myself from my laptop and this is the actual bike I saw pictured here at Ballaugh bridge looking back towards the wee shop there.

20190829_135835.jpg
I am here. Where are you?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

mercalia wrote:how many miles can you do before your back side says no more? That aint a seat its a plank
Just like on a pedal cycle, it is a question of weight distribution between backside, hands and feet. My K4 250 learner machine would have my legs suffering cramp after about an hour. On my café racer Triumph with legs tucked up on rear sets and a single seat I have ridden 3 hours with no problems at all.
YUH 981 (1).jpg

On my 250 I could carry my time trial bike on the back. Not a practicality with a single seat machine.
Last edited by tatanab on 11 Jan 2020, 2:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Cowsham wrote:
Hobbs1951 wrote:
Cowsham wrote:

Watched the review on that -- think I'd rather have the cb250 rs cafe racer I saw on the island last year

Not a CB250RS, the RS was a twin exhaust port single, what you have posted looks (to me) like a cafe'd CB175 or 200.

John.

Sorry John you are of course correct it's not an rs but a K4 ( had a k4 myself so should have known ) that was a photo I got from the net that looked very similar -- but I dug out the photo I took on the island myself from my laptop and this is the actual bike I saw pictured here at Ballaugh bridge looking back towards the wee shop there.

20190829_135835.jpg

Didn't mean to be churlish, and I do like it that enthusiasts are still modifying 'bikes rather than returning them to standard. And hate being Mr Picky but your second image isn't an RS, I'm sure it's a GB500 !

John.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Hobbs1951 wrote:
Cowsham wrote:
tatanab wrote:About 1982 I was riding my café racerised 1960s Triumph (single seat, clip ons, long tank, rear sets) and wearing tatty leathers, when I found myself following what I took to be a nervous rider on a pox box (scooter). He kept looking at me in his mirrors. It wasn't until later that I thought "perhaps he has a sense of history".

Bearing in mind my taste for old style café racers, pretty light, not necessarily much power (1960s Triumph remember), I quite fancy a Mash TT except I have no possible use for it.

01-mash-tt40-cafe-racer.jpg

John.

Most likely a CB250 twin. They had CV carbs but I don't think the 175 or 200 had them. The small Honda twin engines look pretty identical though.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
dim

Post by dim »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
https://apple.news/AI2YTqxL1RfST96DJNUjutw
Very fortunate for the rider that the following car driver managed to take the appropriate action and not driving over the motorcyclist.
AC3C7CC5-5A5A-4D46-998A-B76830E795FE.jpegC52C605D-66FC-4997-805E-8C1BF3EB93A8.jpeg77233512-51A1-44B2-92B0-375659CFDE9D.jpegD3CCE5D1-B981-459B-8F33-339AEA22E892.jpeg

the guy was wearing an airbag suit jacket .... never knew those existed ...
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

dim wrote:the guy was wearing an airbag suit jacket .... never knew those existed ...

GUESSING.....You're NOT a MotoGP fan ?? They have been around for many years there.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Tiberius wrote:
dim wrote:the guy was wearing an airbag suit jacket .... never knew those existed ...

GUESSING.....You're NOT a MotoGP fan ?? They have been around for many years there.

MotoGp - Is that what they call scrambling now?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

landsurfer wrote:
mercalia wrote:
landsurfer wrote:My pride and joy ...used in all weathers all year round for work and pleasure ..... 400cc of rampant power .. ok 27bhp.
Previous stuff .. MZ's all types and capacities, GSXR 1127's, YammaGammaTZ road bike ... Big Kawasaki's and Suzuki's, all types of 2-strokes ..... but my RE Himalayan is just pleasure to ride around on ....

fullsizeoutput_202.jpeg

Thats an Indian Royal Enfield? How much did it cost? oh quite cheap. which one is it?

https://www.motogb.co.uk/make/royal-enfield

I got mine with 320 miles on it, ex demonstrator for £3800 .... An awful lot of bike for the money .. now at 5000 miles without a hitch.

Have you seen Noraly's website about her long distance trips on a Himalayan. https://www.itchyboots.com/bikers-guide ... -the-world
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
No I never knew that an air suit existed either.
GB 500, I didn't look closely but yes the engine looks very modern.
I thought you said CB 500, I have a CB500t in the shed :)
It's a bit of an overgrown CB 250, And handles like one too :P
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
dim

Post by dim »

Tiberius wrote:

Hmmmm ... do they work on bicycles? 8)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Hobbs1951 wrote:
Cowsham wrote:
Hobbs1951 wrote:

John.

20190829_135835.jpg

Didn't mean to be churlish, and I do like it that enthusiasts are still modifying 'bikes rather than returning them to standard. And hate being Mr Picky but your second image isn't an RS, I'm sure it's a GB500 !

John.

No probs John it was my bad -- my photo was on the laptop and couldn't be bothered to get it out and transfer it back onto my phone so I looked it up on Google -- and a few articles came up -- saw that but didn't look close enough.

I'll get the link for the 250k4 for Pete
pete75

Post by pete75 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

I thought you said CB 500, I have a CB500t in the shed :)
It's a bit of an overgrown CB 250, And handles like one too :P

Not really. It was a bored out CB450 Black Bomber. I've had both and thought the 450 the better bike.

Alex Moulton had one.

pete75

Post by pete75 »

How many people here passed the proper motorcycle test, L plates on your 250 and a guy with a clipboard observing you from time to time?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

pete75 wrote:
Hobbs1951 wrote:
Cowsham wrote:

John.

Most likely a CB250 twin. They had CV carbs but I don't think the 175 or 200 had them. The small Honda twin engines look pretty identical though.

Here's the article I mistakenly got the picture from -- nice bike
http://www.bikebound.com/2017/01/31/hon ... afe-racer/