Any other motorcyclists here?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: Any other motorcyclists here?

Postby pete75 » 13 Jan 2020, 11:34am

hondated wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Cowsham wrote:
Prices for Elsie's have plateaued now and I think fell back a bit while prices of enduro bikes have gone up big time -- but most of these old two stroke road bikes aren't great to ride -- buy a TDR250 it's completely unique and still affordable --( finding one is more of a challenge ) no other bike is ( or will ever again with emission laws now ) built in this format. The best thing is that the handling ( with road tyres ) is light years ahead of the Elsie's.

Get quite a feeling of nostalgia when I smell a two stroke going by especially if it's got the real petroil mix smell. Even the humble MZ seems to be going for quite high prices these days.
I had a Suzuki Super Six , second bike I had on the road at 16 after a few unpleasant weeks with an Ariel Arrow. The Suzuki could keep up with most of the five hundreds and even some older six fifties. Wouldn't mind one now for old times sake.
Just sold a load of bikes some of which I'd had for over 20 years. Ductai ST4S , Honda CB750 K1, Kawasaki GPZ900 and BSA A10 all gone in the last 18 months.

Super six what a bike ! We had Bonnie's ,A10s & Road Rockets and one day one of our mates turns up on this rice burner 250cc. Didnt take us long to realise how good it was though when he disappeared into the distance on our first ride out with him. As for the Honda 4 when it came out it was game over for British motorcycles not long after that.

On paper they beat a Commando hands down, on the road it was a different matter altogether.

Whippet

Postby Whippet » 13 Jan 2020, 12:53pm

I was surprised just how well my Commando handled when I bought one 12 years ago.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 13 Jan 2020, 1:46pm

Hi,
But British bikes did handle didn't they.
My tiger cub certainly did even with only one rear shock absorber with any oil in it.
The front brake was abysmal and the forks were'nt much better either.
It always put a smile on my face especially when I looked at the bigger Jap bikes Their riders wrestling to keep them under control.
I also had a triumph T90 At first they had no damping on the rear end whatsoever, Once sorted it was as expected.
Small Jap bikes in the 70s Could handle but in my experience most were pretty rubbish.
Heavy heavy springs and light on the damping didn't help.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 13 Jan 2020, 1:57pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
But British bikes did handle didn't they.
My tiger cub certainly did even with only one rear shock absorber with any oil in it.
The front brake was abysmal and the forks were'nt much better either.
It always put a smile on my face especially when I looked at the bigger Jap bikes Their riders wrestling to keep them under control.
I also had a triumph T90 At first they had no damping on the rear end whatsoever, Once sorted it was as expected.
Small Jap bikes in the 70s Could handle but in my experience most were pretty rubbish.
Heavy heavy springs and light on the damping didn't help.

The Suzuki T500K I owned certainly handled very well whn pushed,equally so the TT250 Hustler.OTOH the Honda CB750K1 I had though handling was reasonably good the weight wasn't.The CB250K was soft on the rear two up but other than that was quite good but not as good as the Suzukis.
I also had a BSA A10 Road Rocket that handled Ok but was top heavy I always thought.
Bear in mind these are observations from over 45years ago
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

hondated

Postby hondated » 13 Jan 2020, 2:42pm

pete75 wrote:How many people here passed the proper motorcycle test, L plates on your 250 and a guy with a clipboard observing you from time to time?

Me ! I cannot believe I thought it was difficult at the time but as I wrote on a previous post I have never stopped learning.

hondated

Postby hondated » 13 Jan 2020, 2:46pm

Greenbuilder wrote:Here's my 1960 Bsa 650cc Super Rocket, rebuilt last year.
PC090020.JPG

GB Did you use the combs to get the push rods seated :?

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 13 Jan 2020, 2:47pm

Hi,
Yeah we all did that didn't we.
My problem was when he said ride slowly down the road I went to fast :lol:

So I had to ride round the block again, he was a tall guy and struggled to hide behind the car, so I slowed down in anticipation, he walked out in front of me and I'll slowly came to a stop.

hondated

Postby hondated » 13 Jan 2020, 2:48pm

ubert767 wrote:Here"s my 1970 BSA Victor, a 441cc single which I've owned since almost new. I rebuilt it a couple of years ago, it's great fun to ride and oil-tight too!

P1060481.jpg
Rob

Didnt Jeff Smith win his world scrambler championship riding on of these.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 13 Jan 2020, 2:51pm

pete75 wrote:How many people here passed the proper motorcycle test, L plates on your 250 and a guy with a clipboard observing you from time to time?

I passed mine in the back streets of Wigan in 1969 or 1970 on a Honda CD175 it was a doddle as I recall :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

hondated

Postby hondated » 13 Jan 2020, 2:52pm

pete75 wrote:
hondated wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Get quite a feeling of nostalgia when I smell a two stroke going by especially if it's got the real petroil mix smell. Even the humble MZ seems to be going for quite high prices these days.
I had a Suzuki Super Six , second bike I had on the road at 16 after a few unpleasant weeks with an Ariel Arrow. The Suzuki could keep up with most of the five hundreds and even some older six fifties. Wouldn't mind one now for old times sake.
Just sold a load of bikes some of which I'd had for over 20 years. Ductai ST4S , Honda CB750 K1, Kawasaki GPZ900 and BSA A10 all gone in the last 18 months.

Super six what a bike ! We had Bonnie's ,A10s & Road Rockets and one day one of our mates turns up on this rice burner 250cc. Didnt take us long to realise how good it was though when he disappeared into the distance on our first ride out with him. As for the Honda 4 when it came out it was game over for British motorcycles not long after that.

On paper they beat a Commando hands down, on the road it was a different matter altogether.

Dont necessarily agree as a lot of it is down to the rider.
I was never going to beat Hailwood Read or Sheene even if we had the same bikes.
Sadly Colin Seeley died a couple of days ago. Nice fella.
Last edited by hondated on 13 Jan 2020, 6:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 13 Jan 2020, 3:26pm

Hi,
The Nails!

Good points
12V electrics and reliable too, less wastage with 12 over 6v.
Lights.............
Electric start.......how many of you remember hand start cars :?
Good sound engineering with massively oversized bearings.
Oil seals where you need them.
Double lined exhaust header pipes.

The bad points were- (mostly four strokes)
Exhausts that rotted in 6 months.
Peeling one coat paint in months.
Oil needed to be changed regulary.
High damage when dropped.
Early ones had poor grip tyres, I still have the scars.
Later ones had better grip in wet but wore out before you had ran them in.
Expensive after sale parts.

But it meant that you didn't spend all weekend fixing oil leaks................and poor electrics.
This was the turning point for me.

But today even European and rest of the world are reliable and well made, even under license!

pete75

Postby pete75 » 13 Jan 2020, 3:39pm

hondated wrote:
ubert767 wrote:Here"s my 1970 BSA Victor, a 441cc single which I've owned since almost new. I rebuilt it a couple of years ago, it's great fun to ride and oil-tight too!

P1060481.jpg
Rob

Didnt Jeff Smith win his world scrambler championship riding on of these.

Twice.
Difficult to imagine the engine was based on the 250cc C15 motor which in turn was based on the 200CC Tiger Cub engine which itself was developed from the 150cc Triumph Terrier.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 13 Jan 2020, 3:53pm

hondated wrote:

Me ! I cannot believe I thought it was difficult at the time but as I wrote on a previous post I have never stopped learning.

me 2. Not sure I could pass the new test :lol:

pete75

Postby pete75 » 13 Jan 2020, 4:01pm

mercalia wrote:
hondated wrote:

me 2. Not sure I could pass the new test :lol:

I thought that but then looking at some of the people I've ridden with and who've passed the new test it can't be overly difficult.

Tiberius

Postby Tiberius » 13 Jan 2020, 4:04pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:
Peeling one coat paint in months

That particular feature has returned to modern motorcycles - especially to BMWs. Pop into a BMW motorcycle main dealer and have a look at the used stock (or even the demonstrator fleet parked outside) Absolutely shocking for a so called 'premium brand'