Any other motorcyclists here?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: Any other motorcyclists here?

Post by mercalia »

Tiberius wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Harleys? Tractors with a poor exhaust system! No thank you. MM

Maybe once upon a time but not any more.

The last Harley 'tractors' were probably the 'Shovelheads' which died off in the early 80's The next generation Harleys (called Evolution - surprise surprise) were a massive improvement on the earlier bikes. Reliable, oil tight, smooth (wth the rubber engine mounts) and 80 - 90 MPH all day cruising comfortable.

The later water cooled bikes (2001 VRSCA onwards) were a further mega leap on for HD. Smooth as you like and genuinely fast.

I've owned three Harleys, all bought new. A 1989 883 Sportster, a 1992 FXRS Lowrider and a 2002 VRSCA V-Rod. I toured all over Europe on them (yes, even on that little Sportster tank) and they were all 100% reliable and so so easy to maintain.

I moved on to BMW/Ducati/modern Triumphs etc, but I'm really glad that I spent a great chunk of my life ticking the Harley box.

Absolutely wonderful motorcycles,

I think the main point was "poor exhaust system"? not true?
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

mercalia wrote:I think the main point was "poor exhaust system"? not true?

Non of my three Harleys had a poor exhaust system. Presumably the 'poor exhaust system' has passed all UK/EU rules since it needed to ?

Obviously modified exhaust systems are common place. The Jap bike boys love their Akrapovic exhausts, Ducati have Termignoni and Higgspeed are still doing expansion chambers for the 'strokers'. They all make a racket and are all probably on the very edge of legal.

It's not just Harleys.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi again, My point about H-D machines relates to their obsession with the specific resonance of sound relating to the V-Twin motor. I seem to recall that they either patented or registered the precise features of hat sound. Recall that it related to the harmonics created by the angle between cylinders. Don't ask for a reference or citation, facts like that got pushed out of my head years ago!
Other V-Twin makers certainly run scared about matching the cylinder intersection angle of the H-D, apparently the difference in sound between different V-angle is measurable?
My prejudice may be just that, but H-D has never floated my boat. TTFN MM
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

merseymouth wrote:Hi again, My point about H-D machines relates to their obsession with the specific resonance of sound relating to the V-Twin motor. I seem to recall that they either patented or registered the precise features of hat sound. Recall that it related to the harmonics created by the angle between cylinders. Don't ask for a reference or citation, facts like that got pushed out of my head years ago!
Other V-Twin makers certainly run scared about matching the cylinder intersection angle of the H-D, apparently the difference in sound between different V-angle is measurable?

I'm failing to see the reason in that(though I could be wrong)but would've thought the sound would be more to do with bore and stroke and piston timing than V cylinder angle.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I think old guys ( like me ) buying big heavy bikes is a silly thing. Once at the Sound car park having a coffee in the cafe we spotted an old guy and his young Asian wife/girlfriend/partner/whatever trying to park and dismount his big heavy shiny Harley. The girl jumps off like a gymnast he falls over, bike laying on top of him -- I rushed out and lifted the bike up and put it on the side stand. He thanked me and hobbled into the cafe. Another chap I met pulled his bicep away from where it's attached at the forearm cos he caught a massive kwacker as it fell over.

Light good handling bikes are true motorcycles for me. Too big and they feel like cars with two wheels missing.
I am here. Where are you?
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

merseymouth wrote:Hi again, My point about H-D machines relates to their obsession with the specific resonance of sound relating to the V-Twin motor. I seem to recall that they either patented or registered the precise features of hat sound. Recall that it related to the harmonics created by the angle between cylinders. Don't ask for a reference or citation, facts like that got pushed out of my head years ago!

I know where you are coming from with that.

The Harley sound was known as 'potato-potato-potato' (think about it) and Harley did try to patent/protect that exact sound. They tried to stop other manufacturers making engines with Harley's exact V angle, piston timing and firing order. From memory I recall that even Uncle Sam couldn't pull that one off so the whole idea was dumped.

Even today nothing sounds QUITE like a Harley (for better for worse) There have been numerous Jap' copies but they don't even come close to getting THAT sound.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Some "twins" have the cranks set at 270 degrees so they have a more distinctive sound.
(trying to sound like a V-twin :roll: )
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Cowsham wrote:I think old guys ( like me ) buying big heavy bikes is a silly thing. Once at the Sound car park having a coffee in the cafe we spotted an old guy and his young Asian wife/girlfriend/partner/whatever trying to park and dismount his big heavy shiny Harley. The girl jumps off like a gymnast he falls over, bike laying on top of him -- I rushed out and lifted the bike up and put it on the side stand. He thanked me and hobbled into the cafe. Another chap I met pulled his bicep away from where it's attached at the forearm cos he caught a massive kwacker as it fell over.

Sounds like my mate.

Him and his Mrs were touring Scotland on their full dresser Electra Glide and were running late to catch an Island hopper ferry. They raced up to the ferry terminal and my mate leaped off the Harley and rushed off to buy tickets. In his haste he forgot to lower the side stand and the whole heap (including his wife) fell over on it's side !! If you know how the pillion seat on an Electra Glide is designed and constructed (like an arm chair) you will undertand how his wife completely escaped injury.

The bike was just fine as the mega crash bars saved everything. Despite coming away unscathed, I don't think his wife was very happy.... :mrgreen:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Tiberius wrote:

I know where you are coming from with that.

The Harley sound was known as 'potato-potato-potato' (think about it) and Harley did try to patent/protect that exact sound. They tried to stop other manufacturers making engines with Harley's exact V angle, piston timing and firing order. From memory I recall that even Uncle Sam couldn't pull that one off so the whole idea was dumped.

Even today nothing sounds QUITE like a Harley (for better for worse) There have been numerous Jap' copies but they don't even come close to getting THAT sound.

If/when harley make an electric bike I suppose they will add sound effects? :lol: where would the speaker be?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:If/when harley make an electric bike I suppose they will add sound effects? :lol: where would the speaker be?

The sound of your heart racing apparently.
https://www.harley-davidson.com/gb/en/motorcycles/livewire.html

I look forward to electric Harleys instead of the gut wrenching racket imposed on us by middle aged blokes trying to look cool.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

kwackers wrote:
mercalia wrote:If/when harley make an electric bike I suppose they will add sound effects? :lol: where would the speaker be?

I look forward to electric Harleys instead of the gut wrenching racket imposed on us by middle aged blokes trying to look cool.

Starting at £28,995 :shock: :shock:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

cycleruk wrote:Starting at £28,995 :shock: :shock:

I don't think any Harley is cheap.

It was always a source of amusement to me that a bike that looked like it'd been hand made in someones garage could cost so much.
(Yes, I know they've improved - but there was no other direction they could go ;) )
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

kwackers wrote:I don't think any Harley is cheap.
At the bottom ned of the market they might be considered competitive in price. Back in 1994 I bought a Ducati Monster 600 (one of the first in the country) which had a list price of £5250. The base model Hardly, the 883 was very close in price. These days the base model Monster is the 797 at approaching £9000 which is the same sort of price as the Sportster 883.

In 95 I went to a round of the BSB at Thruxton which included a heat of the 883 series which was one of those series for a single machine type with only limited modifications. It was very entertaining because the racing was so close, and it was amusing watching them trying, sometimes failing, to push the things through the chicane. Leaving the meeting, the police were stopping EVERY motorcyclist to check for illegal exhausts.

That Ducati is the only bike I've had that suffered with carburettor icing. After about a year there was a recall and the carbs were changed for ones with oil jackets to heat them. Not a lot of use since it takes a while to heat the oil enough to be any good.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

kwackers wrote:

And only succeeding in looking twattish. :lol:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:
kwackers wrote:

And only succeeding in looking twattish. :lol:

and there would be an extra contol on the handle bars? a volume control, probably to cycle thru the volume levels. maybe add a jackplug so they can add some headphones so only they can hear the din? :lol: