Extinction Rebellion

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: Extinction Rebellion

Post by Psamathe »

Labrat wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
Labrat wrote:
Economy class seats I suppose as well eh? :lol:

Its not really like there is a shortage of American actresses who could have done the job, is it?

Does flying economy vs business make a massive difference to the pollution?

She is an actress so, given our society and the way things are organised you can hardly criticise her for seeking what employment opportunities present themselves.

Ian

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -footprint

She chooses to be an actress. Other, far more environmentally sustainable (though no doubt less lucrative*) careers are available.

What’s the old song? “The working class can kiss my...”

*though obviously that money comes in useful, like when you buy up land in order to try to prevent the building of a third runway at Heathrow. Which obviously she plays no part whatsoever in the demand for :roll:

And if she chose not to be an actress would fewer films be made of would somebody else chose to be an actress because there was enough work available?

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:
Psamathe wrote:If you read (press or earlier in the thread) you'll see that "what she did" was to fly home from her work in LA (to her home in the UK). So do you propose we can't return home after working away...

Apparently, according to CNN and the Guardian, she's taken a break from her work to attend this knees up. She'll then, presumably, return to complete her work. She did not just happen to be in the UK and then decided to pop in.

Even if the news was incorrect and she was genuinely here anyway, she has homes in London, Scotland and California. Do you think she cycles between the three?

Again, do as she says, not as she does.

If we are going to criticise people for owning more than one home in different places then I'd suggest there are far worse offenders and in other lines of work who have no sympathy with reducing their carbon footprint.

Lance Dopestrong wrote:
Psamathe wrote:She is an actress so, given our society and the way things are organised you can hardly criticise her for seeking what employment opportunities present themselves.

Ah, so being responsible for grossly disproportionate levels of pollution is ok, as long as she's pursuing employment opportunities? Do you think the planet cares how we justify the pollution? It doesn't - it's still pollution, and there's no moral justification for someone who is responsible for far more gratuitous consumption and pollution than the average person to tell us what we should be doing to safe the planet. That's as crass as when Al Gore lectured us about global warming, then going (flying, actually) on holiday and leaving his empty mansion lit up with hundreds of bulbs.

Yet again, we're expected to do as she says, not as she does. The public will never, ever, follow someone that can't even be bothered to leave by example.

Could you cite some source as to how frequently she flies to justify your "grossly disproportionate levels of pollution" accusation as I have absolutely no idea how often and what distances she flies.

Without that detailed information, my personal suspicion is that it is businessmen you generally create the bulk of the demand for air flights. My recent long distance flight I booked the day before I flew and there were empty seats on the flight. The aircraft was flying with or without me and my additional weight probably made unmeasurable difference to its carbon emissions. Thus my contribution to the pollution is more in terms of creating demand rather than the actual carbon emitted from my one flight. Not trying to claim my flight was "responsible", but to reduce the pollution we need to reduce demand and I now think the only way that is going to be achieved is by increasing prices and the only way that can be done under our capitalist system is through taxation (which means we could then chose to spend that income in a responsible manner).

Ian
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

ET is surely rich, she could retreat to her home in Scotland and hand over to Greta Thunberg who travels but train
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Pages and pages of "but look! That person's a hypocrite!"
And so the human race continues on it's petty downward spiral.

Time for a slow hand clap I think.
Labrat

Post by Labrat »

Psamathe wrote:And if she chose not to be an actress would fewer films be made of would somebody else chose to be an actress because there was enough work available?

Ian

Theres plenty of out of work actresses in the US who would do the job for a fraction of the price, without needing to be flown halfway round the world first class to do it.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Labrat wrote:
Psamathe wrote:And if she chose not to be an actress would fewer films be made of would somebody else chose to be an actress because there was enough work available?

Ian

Theres plenty of out of work actresses in the US who would do the job for a fraction of the price, without needing to be flown halfway round the world first class to do it.

I would not know. I do appreciate that when somebody is spending vast sums on a production they want to "get it right" which means getting the people they feel best for each role rather than dragging in some "out of work" actor/actress for a fraction of the price.

But I was hoping for some citation of source justifying your "for grossly disproportionate levels of pollution" allegation, something illustrating her air miles being so unreasonable.

Maybe kwackers point becomes relevant
kwackers wrote:Pages and pages of "but look! That person's a hypocrite!"
And so the human race continues on it's petty downward spiral.

Time for a slow hand clap I think.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I as a joiner and builder I used to ordinarily work within 10mile of home and more often less than that,however I was offered a big house extension job 50miles away in another town.
I told the repeat customer who'd previously lived local,that if I priced up the job there'd be a sustantial travelling premium on top of the cost ,he said he didn't mind as he knew me and my work and could trust the job would be done right.
So TBH I reluctantly agreed,nice job,nice folks and it paid well too :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Psamathe wrote:
Labrat wrote:
Psamathe wrote:If you read (press or earlier in the thread) you'll see that "what she did" was to fly home from her work in LA (to her home in the UK). So do you propose we can't return home after working away from home?

Ian

Economy class seats I suppose as well eh? :lol:

Its not really like there is a shortage of American actresses who could have done the job, is it?

Does flying economy vs business make a massive difference to the pollution?

She is an actress so, given our society and the way things are organised you can hardly criticise her for seeking what employment opportunities present themselves.

Ian

Nope, it does make a difference to other agendas though
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

kwackers wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
bovlomov wrote:Reading about a place often leaves a longer lasting impression than going there.

However, both are a far better way.

Yep, do both together.

The other point about virtual tourism is you can visit parts of the globe you'd never see any other way.
I mention is only because it's a bit strange, VR is quite involving in a way that simply looking at photos isn't. Throw in the chance to look at something from perspectives you'd never otherwise see and it can be really fascinating.

The point that some of these places rely on money from tourists is valid - except a lot of the places I like to look there wouldn't be any tourists anyway.
It's also a good way of familiarising yourself with an area - bit like when you have a quick look on streetview if you're going somewhere and want the lie of the land before setting off.

I do VR and 36o images of various places, but it simply does not compare with actually being there.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cunobelin wrote:I do VR and 36o images of various places, but it simply does not compare with actually being there.

No of course not, but it's better than looking at pictures because just like being there you can look wherever you please and move around - plus there's the sense of scale.

Another thing is you're not stuck in the now, a couple of years ago I imported a 3d model of the Forum (Rome) and explored it.
I felt actually quite strange moving around it in the right scale, looking at things. The model I used was fairly crude and the lighting wasn't right but it was still an experience well worth having.
I seriously hope that bigger companies like Google invest in producing much more realistic models of places like this so I can do the ultimate virtual touring.

FWIW, inspired by my own post I've just been wondering round Paris, Rome, Tokyo and a few holiday hotspots I've visited in the Caribbean (I swam there) plus a bit of a fly along the Grand Canyon.
Total cost of my hols? About 15p's worth of 'lecky.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

kwackers wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:I do VR and 36o images of various places, but it simply does not compare with actually being there.

No of course not, but it's better than looking at pictures because just like being there you can look wherever you please and move around - plus there's the sense of scale.

Another thing is you're not stuck in the now, a couple of years ago I imported a 3d model of the Forum (Rome) and explored it.
I felt actually quite strange moving around it in the right scale, looking at things. The model I used was fairly crude and the lighting wasn't right but it was still an experience well worth having.
I seriously hope that bigger companies like Google invest in producing much more realistic models of places like this so I can do the ultimate virtual touring.

FWIW, inspired by my own post I've just been wondering round Paris, Rome, Tokyo and a few holiday hotspots I've visited in the Caribbean (I swam there) plus a bit of a fly along the Grand Canyon.
Total cost of my hols? About 15p's worth of 'lecky.

... and as above, I managed over an hour of cycling in the Alps..... why bother cycle touring?
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:
I suspect the BBC is not being balanced they don't seem to post all the messages of support for the protest that is going on . The police are being there usual mob handed over reaction four officers to arrest one pacifist granny really

Actually, only one officer conducted the arrest, and the others were required to transport a passively resisting prisoner. She was detained safely, legally, and without incident or injury, so by what measure was it heavy handed?

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to how you would carry her away using less than 4 officers, without causing undue risk of injury to her? I doubt you even know how to apply handcuffs properly, yet you seem quite vocal on the subject. I'm still accredited to teach control skills and defensive tactics to EMS personnel, and still do do as part of the MTB training I deliver, so I await your analysis with interest.

In any case, I don't see how being a grandmother is remotely relevant. I'm a grandfather, but I'm also 6'4" and a 265lbs lifter, and if I kicked off in such circumstances (which I wouldn't, I'm a model citizen) I'd be a real handful, and the simple fact of having grandchildren is utterly irrelevant to either public safety or officer safety. Indeed, if I didn't kick off it would probably take more than 4 to carry me away, and being a Grandad wouldn't make me a single ounce lighter.

"Granny" is simply a term used for emotional purposes in this context, in order to distract from the factual narrative.

A well balanced response there Lance.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Well, that's jolly decent of you to say so old chap :D

Meanwhile, Emma Thompson is protesting a bit too much. "If I could fly cleanly, I would", she said. "But I can't, so I'll do it anyway and sod the pollution", she thought.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-479913 ... ly-i-would
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Labrat

Post by Labrat »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Well, that's jolly decent of you to say so old chap :D

Meanwhile, Emma Thompson is protesting a bit too much. "If I could fly cleanly, I would", she said. "But I can't, so I'll do it anyway and sod the pollution", she thought.

About her second husband, Greg:

Their relationship began when Emma had to leave the Sense And Sensibility set to fly to Cannes to promote her film Carrington. As she could spare so little time, the film company laid on a private jet. Greg asked if he could hitch a lift so he could visit friends in Cannes. “That’s what did for us, really,” says Emma. “A private plane to Cannes was very, very romantic!”

Oh how the other half live...
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:.....

Article does not say what she was thinking.Care to enlighten us as to how you know what she is thinking.

But this is more about trying to discred the messenger to destroy the message. If a smoker says we should ban smoking do we ignore it because some describe him as "hypocritical"?

Ian