Extinction Rebellion

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cunobelin

Re: Extinction Rebellion

Postby Cunobelin » 2 May 2019, 6:51pm

From Facebook:

It all makes sense...Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the much older lady that she should bring her own grocery bags, because plastic bags are not good for the environment.
The woman apologized to the young girl and explained, "We didn't have this 'green thing' back in my earlier days."
The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."
The older lady said that she was right -- our generation didn't have the "green thing" in its day. The older lady went on to explain:
Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. But we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.
Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags that we reused for numerous things. Most memorable besides household garbage bags was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags. But, too bad we didn't do the "green thing" back then.
We walked up stairs because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.
But she was right. We didn't have the "green thing" in our day.
Back then we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts. Wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.
But that young lady is right; we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.
Back then we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.
But she's right; we didn't have the "green thing" back then.
We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blade in a r azor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.
But we didn't have the "green thing" back then.
Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service in the family's $45,000 SUV or van, which cost what a whole house did before the"green thing." We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.
But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the "green thing" back then?
Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart ass young person.
We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to micturate us off... Especially from a tattooed, multiple pierced smartass who can't make change without the cash register telling them how much......

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 2 May 2019, 7:43pm

merseymouth wrote:Hi all, Question - Does riding a Chinese cycle make you part of their pollution problem? :shock: .
My confession along those lines is the fact that I have an obsession for Die-Cast Models, the vast majority of which originate in China. Mia Culpa.
Whatever happened to Dinky Toys? :wink: IGI

I collect books, plenty have been printed already, no need for new ones, I get many free
You can collect used models
Was there not a famous maker of model trains in Liverpool?
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "597"

Goosey

Postby Goosey » 3 May 2019, 1:05pm

"I collect books, plenty have been printed already, no need for new ones, I get many free"

No new novels or textbooks? :shock:

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 3 May 2019, 5:20pm

Cunobelin wrote:From Facebook:

It all makes sense...Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the much older lady that she should bring her own grocery bags, because plastic bags are not good for the environment.
< SNIP > .....

yep I thought I had seen this before

(The we below is not aimed at the readers here but as a society)

Just because we grew up not knowing about climate change and lived in world where things were largely not climate affecting, is no excuse for us not to do anything about it. Our generations are the ones that now know and it is up to us to do something about it. We are the ones that have took up the excessive behaviours. we have bought into the consumerism, Eating more meat, throwing more away, driving bigger and bigger cars more than one per family, driving everywhere , not sharing, buying things to throw away rather mend. Overheating houses,
if we all just think a little about how we buy food, try to minimise single use plastics, perhaps look to taking the bus or train for some journeys, Lift share where we can’t, re-use cups try to avoid single use plastics where possible, buy a bit less tat. Plant our gardens to be friendly to insects and wildlife. Stop flying three or four times a year. Along with government initative on things like fossil fuels use and extraction, housing, transport standards, industrial CO2 then maybe just maybe we can start to save the world.

I saw a piece written by an American, which I quite liked he talked about people wanting the nice things in life Luxury swimming pools Tennis courts etc. he said we could all have them but that we must learn to share, rather than for the individual. We need to rethink society,

My grandparents who had very little, lived through both world wars and the depression were always happy with a little, they were happiest when the family came together and shared food or happy just to go for a walk along the beach. .
NUKe

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 3 May 2019, 8:05pm

-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 4 May 2019, 4:32pm

I cycle therefore I am.

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 8 Oct 2019, 8:55am

In a way, by insulting XR protesters, Bojo is doing them a favour, I reckon.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -activists

"Uncooperative"? OK yes, I'll accept that. But "Crusties"? I checked on the definition, seeing as the word has several meanings. "A young person who is homeless or travels constantly, has a shabby appearance, and rejects conventional values." Really?

At the recent XR presentation we went to locally, I remember looking round the room. Amongst all the respectable, mostly middle-class, middle-aged, home-owning folks, it was hard to spot any who fit the "crusty" metaphor. And furthermore, on news footage I see the same people trying to get their urgent message across. I'm not saying that there aren't others of different social background who are equally worried about the future - I hope there are.....

Anyway, a big "thank you" to Boris for drawing attention to the protests. A good insult is as good as a compliment! :twisted:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 8 Oct 2019, 9:05am

Goosey wrote:"I collect books, plenty have been printed already, no need for new ones, I get many free"

No new novels or textbooks? :shock:

I get those free in a few years
Still got nearly all the books I have read in the last 20 years, plenty are worth reading again, don't remember reading some of them :?
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "597"

atoz

Postby atoz » 8 Oct 2019, 11:23am

661-Pete wrote:In a way, by insulting XR protesters, Bojo is doing them a favour, I reckon.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -activists

"Uncooperative"? OK yes, I'll accept that. But "Crusties"? I checked on the definition, seeing as the word has several meanings. "A young person who is homeless or travels constantly, has a shabby appearance, and rejects conventional values." Really?

At the recent XR presentation we went to locally, I remember looking round the room. Amongst all the respectable, mostly middle-class, middle-aged, home-owning folks, it was hard to spot any who fit the "crusty" metaphor. And furthermore, on news footage I see the same people trying to get their urgent message across. I'm not saying that there aren't others of different social background who are equally worried about the future - I hope there are.....

Anyway, a big "thank you" to Boris for drawing attention to the protests. A good insult is as good as a compliment! :twisted:

Boris Johnson- more like Dominic Cummings, the great hate-monger. He reminds me of the character Grima Wormtongue in Lord of the Rings. Ugh..

So much for Boris's green credentials- lol.

interesting how effective all this has been in getting publicity. I'm not saying Cycling UK councillors and officials should chain themselves to vehicles etc, but you've got to admit they''ve got what they wanted- blanket news coverage. I remember a cycles on train protest where people took cardboard bikes on trains- something like that would be good..

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 8 Oct 2019, 11:32am

reohn2 wrote:What has society come to?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-48065405

Ever wondered why cyclists are demonised by car drivers?

Same thing.
Litter pickers demonised by those who can't be bothered - no great surprise.
The whole rebellion extinction movement has generated the equivalent; angry people who are angry because they know they're in the wrong.

Human nature drives human extinction.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 8 Oct 2019, 12:05pm

kwackers wrote:.
.........Human nature drives human extinction.

That seems to be the case,due our 'success' :| ,we've become a blight on the planet
I cycle therefore I am.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 8 Oct 2019, 1:27pm

reohn2 wrote:
kwackers wrote:.
.........Human nature drives human extinction.

That seems to be the case,due our 'success' :| ,we've become a blight on the planet

Yes indeed. Human nature is a variable item, with a large range of effects. Modern technology amplifies these various effects by a huge factor.

Sadly the hugely amplified bad factors automatically obliterate the hugely magnified good factors. Moreover, even the good factors have 99 unintended side-effects, often of the bad-factor ilk. Medicine saves billions - which then swarm and consume the planet to a husk.

These various attempts to blame one group or another for the climate change doom that's ever-more imminent are typically human. "It's them Boomers"! "It's them gizmo-loving teenagers with their travel-the-world habit"! Of course, it's all of us.

On the other hand, some humans are very active catalysts in keeping the planet-ruining activities boiling away. Those Big Business oligarchs like their trillions and their huge power to "make things happen". One CEO of an Amazon or a Google can instigate the consumption of enormous amounts of stuff, whilst running planet-wide processes that generate enormous amounts of every kind of pollutant.

On the other hand again, if it wasn't a Bezos or a Pichai running these damaging organisations it would be some other human. The damaging organisations have a life of their own, making every human in their orbit (including the CEOs) behave this way rather than that. It's merely human hubris to pretend that we're somehow in charge and can make decisions about such things.

Still, I can't help admiring those who think we can and act accordingly, for the greater good rather than just their own consumerist desires. Those ER crusties are to be admired, really. The Guardian is a newspap but here is an interesting article from them anyway that quotes the motives of some o' them ER crusties. I wish I was brave enough to join them....

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... hoto-essay

Cugel

roubaixtuesday

Postby roubaixtuesday » 8 Oct 2019, 1:45pm

Cugel wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Yes indeed. Human nature is a variable item, with a large range of effects. Modern technology amplifies these various effects by a huge factor.

"Human nature" is often quoted as something base.

But the reality is that there are two things which really seem to distinguish human from other animal nature.

One is consciousness, which brings the ability to think through the consequences of our actions.

The other is altruism.

The challenge is to bring these to bear in a modern world where the banality of our actions - "fill up the car" - are so far disconnected from their profound consequences - "cataclysmic environmental devastation".

On XR - I went to one of their meetings locally. Good people.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 8 Oct 2019, 2:31pm

RT
The quote is belongs to Cugel not me :wink:

But I agree,the problem though despite consciousness and altruism is we're still our own and the planet's worst enemy.IMHO there's a tipping point and we're fast approaching it.
I cycle therefore I am.

roubaixtuesday

Postby roubaixtuesday » 8 Oct 2019, 2:36pm

reohn2 wrote:RT
The quote is belongs to Cugel not me :wink:

But I agree,the problem though despite consciousness and altruism is we're still our own and the planet's worst enemy.IMHO there's a tipping point and we're fast approaching it.

Ah sorry, poor editing on my regard