Extinction Rebellion

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Extinction Rebellion

Post by reohn2 »

The protests have severely disrupted central London traffic I believe:- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47945397
Is this what's needed for clean air and a better way to move goods and people around our towns and cities?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Re: Extinction Rebellion

Post by pwa »

Or to stop people wanting to fly. Or wanting so much new stuff all the time. I reckon we all have a guilty something we need to cut back on or cut out altogether.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:Or to stop people wanting to fly. Or wanting so much new stuff all the time. I reckon we all have a guilty something we need to cut back on or cut out altogether.

Agreed,but I was posing the question if this is the way to raise public consciousness of the way we're living.One of the facebook quotes in the BBC article said
I believe in fredom of speech,but if I can't get to work it's costing me money
,there seems to be a disconnect of what the protest is all about.
Last edited by reohn2 on 17 Apr 2019, 10:12am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

reohn2 wrote:
pwa wrote:Or to stop people wanting to fly. Or wanting so much new stuff all the time. I reckon we all have a guilty something we need to cut back on or cut out altogether.

Agreed,but I was posing the question if this is the way to raise public consciousness of the way we're living.One of the facebook quotes in the BBC article said
I believe in fredom of speech,but if I can't get to work it's costing me money
,there seems to be a disconnect of what the protest is all about.

I suspect the BBC is not being balanced they don't seem to post all the messages of support for the protest that is going on . The police are being there usual mob handed over reaction four officers to arrest one pacifist granny really
NUKe

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I'm sure every single one of them walked there, and does not own a TV that consumes electricity, or a mobile phone full of rare earth metals.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Lance Dopestrong

I suspect the BBC is not being balanced they don't seem to post all the messages of support for the protest that is going on . The police are being there usual mob handed over reaction four officers to arrest one pacifist granny really

Actually, only one officer conducted the arrest, and the others were required to transport a passively resisting prisoner. She was detained safely, legally, and without incident or injury, so by what measure was it heavy handed?

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to how you would carry her away using less than 4 officers, without causing undue risk of injury to her? I doubt you even know how to apply handcuffs properly, yet you seem quite vocal on the subject. I'm still accredited to teach control skills and defensive tactics to EMS personnel, and still do do as part of the MTB training I deliver, so I await your analysis with interest.

In any case, I don't see how being a grandmother is remotely relevant. I'm a grandfather, but I'm also 6'4" and a 265lbs lifter, and if I kicked off in such circumstances (which I wouldn't, I'm a model citizen) I'd be a real handful, and the simple fact of having grandchildren is utterly irrelevant to either public safety or officer safety. Indeed, if I didn't kick off it would probably take more than 4 to carry me away, and being a Grandad wouldn't make me a single ounce lighter.

"Granny" is simply a term used for emotional purposes in this context, in order to distract from the factual narrative.
Last edited by Lance Dopestrong on 16 Apr 2019, 4:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:I'm sure every single one of them walked there, and does not own a TV that consumes electricity, or a mobile phone full of rare earth metals.

You'll never get individuals to change their ways, governments are the only way forward with stuff like this if for no other reason than a lot of the required changes require top down management.
Lance Dopestrong

kwackers wrote:You'll never get individuals to change their ways, governments are the only way forward with stuff like this if for no other reason than a lot of the required changes require top down management.

If we relied on that then we're as good as dead already.

It would be nice if the government did act, but the government aren't responsible for folk driving SUVs 2 miles to the shops, taking foreign holidays, buying unnecessary consumer goods to replace perfectly serviceable old ones.

We're grown ups, most of us understand the impact of our lifestyles upon the planet - even if not in detail - sufficiently to know we're doing the planet a lot of no good, yet we still carry on. Individual changes in behaviour eventually become collective changes in behaviour, and that's how differences are made.

The government can't act, as any government that tried to curtail our rampant consumerism and polluting level of laziness fast enough to make a difference would suddenly find themselves not in government any more. Only we, us, you, me, can collectively change anything. Sadly, most of us won't and the planet probably is borked.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:I'm sure every single one of them walked there, and does not own a TV that consumes electricity, or a mobile phone full of rare earth metals.

Does that exclude their right to protest about air quality and high concentrations of co2 and other noxious gas emissions in towns and cities where people are most concentrated?
Or do people have to live in a tent and only eat fruit and veg picked or dug up by themselves to qualify?
Last edited by reohn2 on 16 Apr 2019, 4:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

a compromise is to buy 2nd hand stuff? So my mobile is a Windows 10 phone that cost me just £20 from EBay and has all the apps I need. My hifi - these days has been 2nd hand with 2 pairs of Epos M5i/M12i speakers and stands. Not only do I save a lot of dosh I am not supporting the capitalist economy that says that you must have the latest gizmo or fly to the latest destination? I buy cheap blu rays that are played back on a Windows 7 Media Center PC that Cex describes as recycling. So I avoid buying New as much as possible
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

At the time of the 1997 Labour moratorium on road building (blink and you missed it) l remember a female colleague waxing lyrical about it. She then seamlessly moved onto how pleased she was with the cheap airfare she'd got to fly to India. A lot of people just don't get the connect.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:

Actually, only one officer conducted the arrest, and the others were required to transport a passively resisting prisoner. She was detained safely, legally, and without incident or injury, so by what measure was it heavy handed?

Pedantry it took four of them.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

I last flew in a glider .... but even that required an intial tug from a 360hp winch.

New stuff all the time? Once, perhaps. I like to buy the lasty-stuff so new stuff is now not often needed. Many of my clothes are now over 30 years old! Fashion - that's a naughty thing.

On the other hand, a new car (new to me, not new-new) has just been got. But that was largely to go electric instead of burning more fossil fuel. The new house (new to me, not new-new) is also entirely run on renewables (ground source heat, solar lecky, well-water....). Sometimes new can be better than old in terms of reducing the planet-rape.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Syd

The irony of a diverted commute.

Post by Syd »

Whilst at work today there was growing news about a planned protest that would block part of my ride home. At home time a quick check on the local travel Twitter feed confirmed protesters were indeed blocking my route.

So off I set on a pre-planned diversion and arrived safely home after adding just under 2km to the usual distance.

I was amused this evening to find out my diverted commute had been caused by climate change protesters! [emoji23]

They had, apparently, been publicising that they would allow emergency vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists to pass through but having seen video of it on the evening news I am very glad I diverted.
Mike Sales

Re: The irony of a diverted commute.

Post by Mike Sales »

I would have been pleased to find that I could have joined the protest on my ride home. Also, its fairly obvious that the protestors would allow cyclists through. If not, I would have been confident that I could infiltrate my way through.
I understand the protest is continuing, so tomorrow you know you will be fine.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?