Extinction Rebellion

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Sweep

Re: Extinction Rebellion

Post by Sweep »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:I was observing their protests in London yesterday. In my opinion, it’s a very well scripted, choreographed affair. Essentially, it looks like a collection of actors, who are being bankrolled, by hands unseen. There’s no spontaneity, and there’s a particular element

< SNIP - picture >

If you look between the white flag and pink flag, you’ll see a line of women with white make up, and red outfits. Now if they’re not paid, choreographed actors, following a script, I’ll eat my shorts. I don’t know who’s bankrolling this, or exactly why, but I do have my suspicions. I guess the truth will out, sooner or later.

I know there have been cases where the powers that be have used small groups of agent provacateurs but this strikes me as a conspiracy theory too far.

Your evidence is that a group of folk have decided to dress the same for visual impact?

Have you cycled past any weddings of late with massed bridesmaids?

Is that a conspiracy?
Sweep
pwa

Post by pwa »

RickH wrote:
pwa wrote:They have a part to play in changing attitudes, but they could end up being less successful than they might be if they start to annoy the wrong people too much. Obstructing the early morning commute of weary working folk who intend getting to work by public transport just makes people angry at the protesters for punishing the innocent. In that situation I am with the public transport users and against the protesters. If XR do not think that is a problem, they are wrong. They need to re-focus.

People will have said similar about the suffragettes - who resorted to more drastic action when frustrated by the lack of progress in their (justified) cause from previous, much gentler protest.

It isn't the ferocity of the protest that bothers me. It is that they targeted people behaving in a way that ER presumably think we should all behave, using low carbon public transport rather than cars. They targeted allies. We are talking about people who try to obstruct public transport. That target is illogical. Barking mad.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:I was observing their protests in London yesterday. In my opinion, it’s a very well scripted, choreographed affair. Essentially, it looks like a collection of actors, who are being bankrolled, by hands unseen. There’s no spontaneity, and there’s a particular element
If you look between the white flag and pink flag, you’ll see a line of women with white make up, and red outfits. Now if they’re not paid, choreographed actors, following a script, I’ll eat my shorts. I don’t know who’s bankrolling this, or exactly why, but I do have my suspicions. I guess the truth will out, sooner or later.
We are on the XR mailing list. One piece of advice that was circulated was, if someone wants to take part in direct action, rather than simply going to watch and offer support, it's best to attend an induction meeting first where tactics will be explained. We didn't go to that - we're too old for that sort of thing! But it could be that at the meeting several people agreed to all dress and make up in the manner shown.

So you honestly think these people are paid to do this? I just hope your shorts are made of marzipan....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Sweep wrote:Have you cycled past any weddings of late with massed bridesmaids?
I'm not anatomically equipped to be a bridesmaid, but I do recall being a page-boy - at the tender age of five - at my uncle's wedding. I was dressed up as a proper charlie for that - in tartan trousers. I don't recall even getting any extra pocket-money.... :(
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Graham

Post by Graham »

The theatrical parts of the protests are carefully designed and executed. Making them more spectacular and notable.

I would guess that there are many volunteers willing to lend their artistic and professional experience to these events.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Graham wrote:The theatrical parts of the protests are carefully designed and executed. Making them more spectacular and notable.

I would guess that there are many volunteers willing to lend their artistic and professional experience to these events.

It doesn't work for me, but I see nothing sinister in the theatrical stuff.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

pwa wrote:
Graham wrote:The theatrical parts of the protests are carefully designed and executed. Making them more spectacular and notable.

It doesn't work for me, but I see nothing sinister in the theatrical stuff.

Also makes you wonder how many are serial protestors, there whatever the cause. There are psychological studies about those who do it for a sense of worthiness or identity, or even those who do it out of peer pressure or boredom.

I used to know a girl who was taken on every protest going by her Mum. When l knew her she was resolutely keen never to go on a protest march again.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I heard that Swampy (remember him?) was one of a group blockading a West Wales petrochemicals place a few weeks ago.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

The Fracking companies are loving the ER protests ...... suddenly, without warning, all the protestors at their sites have disappeared .... bliss ... Thank Frack ... at last some progress can be made .... :lol:
Last edited by landsurfer on 19 Oct 2019, 9:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

661-Pete wrote:Your choice of cars betrays you. Who else - even if they had the money - would want a "Lambo/Aston Martin/McClaren/Range Rover,Bentley (don't know what a VW T6 is)..." other than a car fanatic - ergo, "petrolhead"? Sorry, but the cap fits. I have one - repeat one - car for those occasions when other means of transport won't do. It certainly isn't any of the above. And I don't think the cap fits me!
As to the rifles - why more than one? You may indeed be a shooting enthusiast, granted, but "three or four new rifles" is a tad suspicious. Do they break down that often? (like Lambos/Astons/etc. are reputed to do :lol: )
OK, no doubt you'll do your best to demolish these arguments. How about your signature line then? OK - so it's meant to be a joke? I've seen you post stuff hostile to safety cameras on this forum. I think you're in a minority!

I have one car :lol:
1st question "who else"?
Well judging from the remarks at work when discussing the £169m just about everyone.I would add that at 51 I'm nearly the youngest of 8 on our shift :wink: We obviously move in different circles.
Q2 why is "three or four" rifles suspicious?
OK I'm a "cyclist".I own a Carbon bike,allu CX and a new Ti frameset.Until recently I had a HT and FS MTB....is that "suspicious" :roll: Of course not.
As I said,but you obviously overlooked it,there a many different disciplines.FT,HFT,Benchrest(lots of different versions of)Sporting/Field sporting,plinking.
Would you find it a "tad suspicious" if I were a Biathlete :|
As I said 2+2=6 :lol:
Re my sig.It did start out as "a bit of a joke" aimed at one particular member but thinking about it it's actually right.
Speed cameras and the speed limits in the UK are a joke.I might drive a boring Insignia estate but 70mph for a car capable of double that is a joke :roll:
i was going to give you a perfect example of a "petrolhead" and why I'm not one but I doubt you'd get it :roll:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Aimed at me I believe :wink:
Nearly all on these fora love safety cameras*
I do not want to drive at more than 70 mph

*alternative facts welcome: anyone apart from 100% not love them?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Ben@Forest wrote:Also makes you wonder how many are serial protestors, there whatever the cause.

I know! These awful people, caring about what happens in the world.

Something must be done about it.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:Also makes you wonder how many are serial protestors, there whatever the cause.

Iss, iss - rozzer & beak them until we can once more forget about the damage we're doing and go back to the "training camp" foreign cycling hols via gazguzzler jet, driving 400 miles to Scotland in a large SUV to take part in a sportive (then back again) and throwing as many gel wrappers as we like into the hedge!

Coming over here, with their placards and fancy dress, stopping the wage slaves from slavin' for necessary consumption-dosh .....

Cugel, hoping the roof doesn't blow off this winter.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

roubaixtuesday wrote:

Yes, especially since protesters are also those wearing Union Jack suits on Parliament Green, those on EDL marches, those outside abortion clinics and even those van bangers who hang around High Courts as Black Marias go in or out. All caring.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Cugel wrote:The basic problems are these: too many humans (and ever-more); too much technology amplifying the ability of humans to consume stuff, our dearest desire above all others except procreation.

Yep, that’s about right and far too few people actually get that.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.