Vanishing Topics?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Vanishing Topics?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There are only a handful of moderators, it would be good to have more I think, I might be interested
Please describe the task, plusminus?
Some posts are moderated soon after appearing, others are moderated later
One can get a bit confused when things disappear or are changed
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:There are only a handful of moderators, it would be good to have more I think, I might be interested
You could try PMing Graham - and join the queue! I think several others have expressed an interest.

It's important that aspiring Mods approach the task completely unequivocally and without any underlying agenda. The only task is to ensure that posts comply with forum rules and guidelines. Just wanting to see or gloat on all the previously moderated content (which is kept in a mods-only section I believe) is not a good reason! I'm sure that if, with good reason, you really want to know what was deleted, the Mods will answer a PM.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

661-Pete wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:There are only a handful of moderators, it would be good to have more I think, I might be interested
You could try PMing Graham - and join the queue! I think several others have expressed an interest.

It's important that aspiring Mods approach the task completely unequivocally and without any underlying agenda. The only task is to ensure that posts comply with forum rules and guidelines. Just wanting to see or gloat on all the previously moderated content (which is kept in a mods-only section I believe) is not a good reason! I'm sure that if, with good reason, you really want to know what was deleted, the Mods will answer a PM.

There aren't many people on here that I think would make good mods - myself included.

I'm afraid Cyril Haearn my opinion of your online persona is that you're amongst them. I rather get the impression you'd be far too generous with the delete button... ;)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Page 9 of a non-topic. Sort of.

Mostly I think the mods get it right. They do so with a light touch and only appear to intervene/delete when there are no other options.

I hope my comment is sufficiently ingratiating!

Joking aside, I am grateful for what they do. It is an impossible task. If they are slow to intervene they are called complacent. When they do it is called censorship.
John
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

For the time being, at least, I think we have a pretty good balance on the staff. While it may take a little time occasionally for one of us to get to something, I think our numbers are enough that someone gets to most things within a few hours.

We also need to work reasonably well together, and get along in the 'behind the scenes' discussions, so, very many more us, could become somewhat unwieldy.

This could change, of course, if one of us needed to take a break for a while or something.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
jb

Post by jb »

Thoughts on internet behaviour:

The Selfish Gene is a good book for understanding the behaviour on internet forums or even life in general. At base level we are only interested in one thing, are own survival or at least of our genes.
We will kill and eat anything edible including the same species to ensure this.
Any outbreak of niceness is only because there is some sort of advantage to be gained from it. Fortunately a side effect of our expanded intelegence is to understand and redirect these feelings and use them for their own sake. So assisting another person gives a person a feeling of satisfaction that is enjoyed for its own sake and not just for survival.

However, our primeval past still lurks just below the surface and an anonymous internet forum is just the place for the more basic feelings to break out if self control is not exercised.
An individual is alone looking at an impersonal screen typing words to a disembodied consciousness that could be a million miles away, any thing posted that seems in the least threatening can be attacked with full force with no danger whatsoever of physical damage to oneself.

It's not a pleasant picture to accept but everything in this green and pleasant land is trying to devour everything else or avoid being devoured so why should we be any different?

The great thing is - amongst other things - at least most of us can rise above it and enjoy argumentative but pleasant discourse. :D
Last edited by jb on 19 Jan 2020, 10:09pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers
J Bro
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

jb wrote:However, our primevil past still lurks just below the surface and an anominous internet forum is just the place for the more basic feelings to break out if self control is not exercised.
Whilst I am fully aware that one way to attract opprobrium is to draw attention to other forummers' misspellings, I could not help chuckling at your version of "primeval"! Maybe your version is more relevant than the original! Note that "anonymous" is also spelt wrongly.

As to the rest of your post - I broadly agree, though I wouldn't have put it so strongly.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
jb

Post by jb »

I looked it up as well - still got it wrong :oops:
Cheers
J Bro
gaz

Post by gaz »

IMG_20200123_141421.jpg

Only turned my back for a moment to check another thread.

IMG_20200123_141425.jpg
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

A hazelnut in every bite.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Vanishing Threads or Topics?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Topics or Threads?

My Auntie Rachel never lost threads, she had a box in the loft marked "threads too short to be of any use" :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies