Should we celebrate leaving the EU

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
windmiller

Re: Should we celebrate leaving the EU

Post by windmiller »

Leaving the EU is the celebration :lol:
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Not my words, but sums it up for me.

In the middle of a climate emergency, Australia is literally on fire, foodbank usage has skyrocketed, as has rough sleeping and we're going to spend half a million ringing a bell.

One day people will realise the EU didn't sell our council housing, prioritise short term stock market gains over long term investment, sell off huge swathes of our national assets and do bog all for successive governments to address growing inequality. Enjoy your bell.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Whatever - are we going to see those wretched 50p coins - which have already been melted down twice?

I'm minded to refuse to accept them in my change. Not legal tender as far as I'm concerned... :twisted:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I suppose that Boris has to hype up what is really a non-event

Nothing changes, not a single rule, ruling or law. When we wake up on the morning we will be exactly the same as we were the night before
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Dont know why they dont call in the Rank Organisations Gong Man to do the bongs....? Why re install the mechanism at vast expense. Bit of scaffolding, off you go...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mjr

Post by mjr »

Carlton green wrote:No celebration for me, just a desire for the divisions in our population to heal and for us to move forward together. Personally I’m fed up with the whole thing and just want done with it all and to get on with life. No laments and no cries of victory, just silence please and then let’s work towards making the best of things.

We cannot strip 48% of the electorate of part of their citizenship against their will and then expect them simply to help us out of the mammoth act of financial and social self-harm that is being committed without so much as an apology.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mjr wrote:We cannot strip 48% of the electorate of part of their citizenship against their will and then expect them simply to help us out of the mammoth act of financial and social self-harm that is being committed without so much as an apology.
Blame first past the post.

Who want's the Tory's in charge?
How many people actually do vs how many people don't?

FPTP is a silly system for national voting.
Mick F. Cornwall
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Mick F wrote:
mjr wrote:We cannot strip 48% of the electorate of part of their citizenship against their will and then expect them simply to help us out of the mammoth act of financial and social self-harm that is being committed without so much as an apology.
Blame first past the post.

Who want's the Tory's in charge?
How many people actually do vs how many people don't?

FPTP is a silly system for national voting.

Yep, FPTP is a silly system which might have been the best way forward once but IMHO it no longer is. Had some form of PR been in place then the referendum would likely never have taken place and we wouldn’t be in this unhappy position now. As for National Elections we as a country have traditionally accepted the outcome of all elections and got on with things, even when the winning party was not the one with the highest share of the vote. So the precedent for accepting the result of a vote is there and it’s part of our democracy.

What’s to be done for the future? Well for now making the best of what you have is a good idea, and then give it some time and we’ll doubtless have some folk planning our way back into the EU. I live in hope that the electorate will set past divisions behind them and move forward together again, hatred and division really aren’t good for us.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I see that despite crowdfunding collecting £125k for Boris's bung a bob for big Ben has descended into farce.

Source: front page of the billionaire owned right leaning Daily Telegraph.

I'm sure that if you looked hard enough you will find a metaphor somewhere. As well as the current policy style of making it up as you go along.
John
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Oldjohnw wrote:I see that despite crowdfunding collecting £125k for Boris's bung a bob for big Ben has descended into farce.

Source: front page of the billionaire owned right leaning Daily Telegraph.

I'm sure that if you looked hard enough you will find a metaphor somewhere. As well as the current policy style of making it up as you go along.

They're talking about playing a recording of the bongs through speakers!
I hope they do, as metaphor's go that would be class!
pwa

Post by pwa »

I won't be celebrating. That would be insensitive. People close to me, just like people here, are divided about this. I have my own feelings but I know that this event, if only for symbolic reasons, causes people I care about some discomfort. Some will see it as a good thing but some won't, so it is a time for sensitivity.
Debs

Post by Debs »

Brexit Hells Bells

[youtube]etAIpkdhU9Q[/youtube]
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

At a time when we should be trying to unite a divided country Boris's plans smack of triumphalism, we won you lost!
Remember, just under half the vote was to remain. Leaving the EU should be done without celebration, just let it fade from the headlines and deal with the task of getting some sort of deal that protects the economy and jobs.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

francovendee wrote:At a time when we should be trying to unite a divided country Boris's plans smack of triumphalism, we won you lost!
Remember, just under half the vote was to remain. Leaving the EU should be done without celebration, just let it fade from the headlines and deal with the task of getting some sort of deal that protects the economy and jobs.

The government has stopped even pretending on that front

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ter-brexit
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

It appears that one rampant brex*iteer out there, not content with merely trying to crowdfund the Big Ben Bongs, proposes to replicate them on a sort of xylophone out in Parliament Square on the day in question: (watch from 3m10):
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... s-17012020
Incidentally, I think she plays the sequence wrong. The correct Big Ben 'tunes' for each of the quarter hours can be seen here.

Talking of xylophones, pity Patrick Moore is no longer with us. What he'd have made of all this, I can only guess - but I know he hated Germans with a vengeance, ever since his fiancée was killed in a WW2 bombing raid.
Last edited by 661-Pete on 18 Jan 2020, 9:07am, edited 1 time in total.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).