Radio 4 issues!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
gbnz

Radio 4 issues!

Post by gbnz »

Apologies, not really a cycling issue!

But anyone know why Radio 4 is no longer able to communicate with journalists, diplomats, MP's et al by telephone, without the reports breaking upand being terminated due to dodgy phone lines et al?

I've listened to the station for thirty years and throughout that period, it was almost unheard of for a report to fail due to communication issues. It's now a program by program occurance, with hosts having to cancel the discussion with whoevers' on the other end of the line due to technical communication issues I.e. crackling lines, making it impossible to understand what's being stated
cjchambers

Re: Radio 4 issues!

Post by cjchambers »

I think it's because they used to send a 'radio car' with a broadcast-quality link (microwave?) and a trained/qualified person to operate and oversee things.

Now I suspect they're using internet-based VoIP things like Skype on people's own devices. Great in theory but often not great in practice. In my previous job I spent many an hour in teleconferences speaking to people who sounded like they were on the moon when in fact they were only a few hundred miles away.
Last edited by cjchambers on 14 Jan 2020, 6:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe someone more important is on the other line :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

It is my contentious opinion that poor sound quality is more prevalent in interviews with left wing subjects!!!
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

cjchambers wrote:I think it's because they used to send a 'radio car' with a broadcast-quality link (microwave?) and a trained/qualified person to operate and oversee things.

Now I suspect they're using internet-based VoIP things like Skype on people's own devices. Great in theory but often not great in practice. In my previous job I spent many an hour in teleconferences speaking to people who sounded like they were on the moon when in fact they were only a few hundred miles away.

Yes, thanks I'd wondered if they'd done away with expensive technical staff (NB. operating such things as a "radio car"). It sounds quite plausible, though I've noticed little difference between the interviewing of right and/or left wing interviewees (NB. Though to be fair, the PM always seem to have a clear line!)
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

gbnz wrote:It sounds quite plausible, though I've noticed little difference between the interviewing of right and/or left wing interviewees (NB. Though to be fair, the PM always seem to have a clear line!)

I said it was contentious!
Yet you noticed the ever present clarity of the PM. :wink:

Keep an ear open for a week or so and come back and tell us your verdict.
Though election time is when it really counts of course!!

Sometimes things go unnoticed until pointed out.
All IMHO you understand.