Gambling

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Gambling

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Guardian reports that MPs are planning a new gambling bill, apparently things have changed a lot since the last act (smartphones, ai) and the influence of gambling is ubiquitous. Is that true?

The bet365 deal to show football games exclusively was 'all kinds of wrong' said one expert
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Like a lot of peeps, I learn well from visuals. There's been some great websites summarising data to do with Covid - I'd be very interested to see the stat.s to do with fatalities, injuries, costs etc. resulting from other causes, such as alcohol misuse and betting addiction. I imagine they would be very revealing. One of the betting industry's repeated lines is that problem gamblers are a tiny minority. Given that suicide is not unknown I don't see how "small numbers" are any defence - presumably for the families, just one is way too many!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

bridgeman wrote: 7 Jun 2021, 12:48pm the gambling laws definitely need some new regulations..
If you see someone resurrecting a year-old post with a bland pointless reply like this, then be suspicious and have a look at their post history.

(I've reported this user, so them and their spam posts will hopefully disappear imminently.)
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

many years ago , James Boland played Andy Capp in very short lived TV series which was based on the long lived Cartoon strip of the same name. In the only episode I can remember He turns to the Camera and says
"Every wondered why Bookies, have three windows for paying in but only one for paying out"
NUKe

Post by jb »

Odds on it'll re-emerge.
Cheers
J Bro
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi, As Kai Lung said - "He who chooses to gamble may live to sell his sandals!" :D MM