Sarah Montague confirms settlement with BBC over equal pay

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
cycleruk

Sarah Montague confirms settlement with BBC over equal pay

Postby cycleruk » 20 Jan 2020, 9:16am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51171869

£133,000 a year ?
What for ?
There's no such thing as a tailwind.
It's either a headwind, or you're going well.

Paulatic

Re: How MUCH !

Postby Paulatic » 20 Jan 2020, 9:44am

As I recall it’s to help the government but we all pay for it.
The Lady who reported a court verdict over 'vote leave' as allegations. :(
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

mercalia

Re: Sarah Montague confirms settlement with BBC over equal pay

Postby mercalia » 20 Jan 2020, 11:24am

cycleruk wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51171869

£133,000 a year ?
What for ?

I stopped buying a TV license & watching live tv a few years ago, and this nonsense just reinforces that decision. The settlement was £400K? I dont begrudge her getting equality but not that way..

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 20 Jan 2020, 11:27am

I think her pay was levelled up to match what the male colleagues 'earned'
Levelling down would have been better

How much does she have left after tax?
What might she spend it on?
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son..
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on 49" fixed
We love safety cameras, we love life "1330"

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 20 Jan 2020, 11:46am

The article is about equal pay. the main point being that Sarah Montague was not paid the same as male colleagues for equal work.

As for the salary amount, I think that the BBC need to offer competitive pay. I don't know what presenters normally expect to be paid, but lots of jobs in the UK offer more the £100 000 salary. I would think it's not unreasonable for someone working on national or internationally broadcast programmes, and likely more value to society than an 'Executive Program Manager' or 'Product Owner' at a software firm or IT consultancy.

If you think it is excessive, I'm sure that you could write to the BBC and/or your MP about it.

p.s. Maybe the problem isn't her level of pay, but that basic jobs earn so little?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 20 Jan 2020, 12:49pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:What might she spend it on?

In London? Probably a mortgage.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 20 Jan 2020, 1:21pm

Doesn't tribunals only give the winning complainant what they would be on if there was no need to complain?

Basically reinstate their pay to the same as equivalent Male employee and back dating it for as long as that injustice occurred.

Imho that's very fair indeed. Good result there!

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 20 Jan 2020, 1:28pm

Vorpal wrote:The article is about equal pay. the main point being that Sarah Montague was not paid the same as male colleagues for equal work.

As for the salary amount, I think that the BBC need to offer competitive pay. I don't know what presenters normally expect to be paid, but lots of jobs in the UK offer more the £100 000 salary. I would think it's not unreasonable for someone working on national or internationally broadcast programmes, and likely more value to society than an 'Executive Program Manager' or 'Product Owner' at a software firm or IT consultancy.

If you think it is excessive, I'm sure that you could write to the BBC and/or your MP about it.

p.s. Maybe the problem isn't her level of pay, but that basic jobs earn so little?

Thats the Chris Evans argument. Is the job that hard? She aint an Andrew Neil? ( I dont know her as I dont watch tv, never seen her, maybe others who have would like to comment, what does she actually do?)

As for the "value to society" argument, thats a hard one. IS she worth more than the late Stephen Hawkings who as a maths prof at cambridge earnt about £100,000 pa ( or less )? ( ignoring his book etc sales)

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Salary/University-of-Cambridge-Professor-Salaries-E35494_D_KO24,33.htm

Some might says her contribution to society is no more than some one working in McDonalds :lol: by comparison

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 20 Jan 2020, 1:54pm

Market value isn't always comparable.

When prime minister, Tony Blair got paid a lot less than his QC wife by several multiples. He was also a QC who went into public service as an mp later in charge of the government as PM. Arguably a huge number of people he's working for. Why the low pay? It's what the market can stand.

The nature of media freelancers and commercial pay packets it isn't surprising that she's due this amount of pay. It's a lot less than most top earners get btw.

As to whether she's worth it then I've no idea but since a Male colleague doing the same job is paid that then she should be too. Have you questioned Male journalists about how much they're paid or is it just a woman getting it retrospectively through a tribunal that you question?

Sorry if this is taking the thread off topic but imho it isn't right to question this win at tribunal but the thread should be whether the men doing the same job are being overpaid. It's completely right she won her case. I do question whether the pay for that job is right. Perhaps they should get a refund from all the men being overpaid instead.

Would that not be better Mercalia? I'm asking you as the op who was the first person motivated enough to raise this story.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 20 Jan 2020, 3:52pm

Tangled Metal wrote:Market value isn't always comparable.

When prime minister, Tony Blair got paid a lot less than his QC wife by several multiples. He was also a QC who went into public service as an mp later in charge of the government as PM. Arguably a huge number of people he's working for. Why the low pay? It's what the market can stand.

The nature of media freelancers and commercial pay packets it isn't surprising that she's due this amount of pay. It's a lot less than most top earners get btw.

As to whether she's worth it then I've no idea but since a Male colleague doing the same job is paid that then she should be too. Have you questioned Male journalists about how much they're paid or is it just a woman getting it retrospectively through a tribunal that you question?

Sorry if this is taking the thread off topic but imho it isn't right to question this win at tribunal but the thread should be whether the men doing the same job are being overpaid. It's completely right she won her case. I do question whether the pay for that job is right. Perhaps they should get a refund from all the men being overpaid instead.

Would that not be better Mercalia? I'm asking you as the op who was the first person motivated enough to raise this story.

eh I didnt raise this story?

mjr

Postby mjr » 20 Jan 2020, 4:11pm

And the director general is toast: https://apnews.com/dec27cc161389167552e4cd22ec6dae6
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 20 Jan 2020, 4:18pm

Are people SERIOUSLY suggesting that the relevant men should be repaying some of their salary??

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 20 Jan 2020, 4:24pm

mjr wrote:And the director general is toast: https://apnews.com/dec27cc161389167552e4cd22ec6dae6

with a very nice golden handshake I bet, walk directly into a job with an ITV company?

looks to me like getting out before his ship sinks?

PH

Postby PH » 20 Jan 2020, 4:24pm

Tangled Metal wrote:Doesn't tribunals only give the winning complainant what they would be on if there was no need to complain?

Basically reinstate their pay to the same as equivalent Male employee and back dating it for as long as that injustice occurred.

Imho that's very fair indeed. Good result there!

In this case it didn't go to a tribunal, Sarah Montague and the BBC negotiated a settlement, from my understanding had they backdated the difference it would have been a lot more.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 20 Jan 2020, 4:25pm

mattheus wrote:Are people SERIOUSLY suggesting that the relevant men should be repaying some of their salary??

do you seriously think any one here is suggesting that?