Are You Woke(n)?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Are You Woke(n)?

Yes
14%
No
10%
Maybe
7%
I dont know what it means
69%

Total votes: 29

mercalia

Re: Are You Woke(n)?

Post by mercalia »

RickH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I'm havingnthe same problem as MickF,I can't read the article and I do have a TV licence :?

Me too on both counts.

well this is all strange. maybe its Woken Test whether you can read it or not. You just not woken enough :wink:
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I did know what it meant but I answered dunno because such perversions of English shouldn't be given house room.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I thought it originally meant being socially aware, bit was then used as a perjoritive term against people who were socially aware.

Like politically correct and, I guess, many other terms.
John
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Audax67 wrote:I did know what it meant but I answered dunno because such perversions of English shouldn't be given house room.

Perversions of English? No slang is allowed? Or is it just the slang of American POC that is a perversion?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Vorpal wrote:
Audax67 wrote:I did know what it meant but I answered dunno because such perversions of English shouldn't be given house room.

Perversions of English? No slang is allowed? Or is it just the slang of American POC that is a perversion?

I believe he's referring to the poor sense of grammar. ("This book woke me up, so now I am woke." )

He's protested against " ... to boldy go ..." in the past.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Oldjohnw wrote:I thought it originally meant being socially aware, bit was then used as a perjoritive term against people who were socially aware.

Like politically correct and, I guess, many other terms.

I think as a pejorative it refers not so much to genuinely socially aware people as to people whose social awareness is selective to the point that it becomes a problem for others.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

"political correctness" got criticism because of a tiny number of ludicrous over-applications. Which led to rumours of even sillier examples, which became established urban myths. Banning of blackboards, that sort of thing. Sadly we only notice the worst in people, and the tabloids report the most extreme examples, not the many situations where lives were improved - in some case for huge segments of society.

"Woke" has some big overlaps with PC, so I think it has been stained with many of the same smears.

Get woke or go broke? Mon 27 Jan 2020 20:30 . BBC Radio 4

The Economist's Philip Coggan asks whether businesses are serious about getting woke or whether it's all smoke and mirrors and merely designed to part us with our money.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Vorpal wrote:

No neither should a perversion of the language like dunno.

What is a POC?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

pete75 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:

What is a POC?

Person of colour
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Vorpal wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Perversions of English? No slang is allowed? Or is it just the slang of American POC that is a perversion?

What is a POC?

Person of colour

Everybody is one colour or another so why not just say P for person.

When I was born, I was black,
When I grew up, I was black,
When I'm sick, I'm black,
When I go out in the sun, I'm black,
When I'm cold, I'm black,
When I die, I'll be black,

But you,

When you're born, you're pink,
When you grow up, you're white,
When you're sick, you're green,
When you go out in the sun, you go red,
When you're cold, you go blue,
When you die, you'll be purple,

And you have the nerve to call me coloured!
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

POC is what most of my minority friends and family members use on social media. Some still us 'black' or 'African American', but POC also includes other non-whites.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person_of_color
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Vorpal wrote:POC is what most of my minority friends and family members use on social media. Some still us 'black' or 'African American', but POC also includes other non-whites.

Being black is nothing to be ashamed of so why use a stupid euphemism?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

pete75 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:POC is what most of my minority friends and family members use on social media. Some still us 'black' or 'African American', but POC also includes other non-whites.

POC also includes other non-whites (i.e. first people, folks of Asian or Middle Eastern descent, etc.)
I don't think that being black is anything to be ashamed of, and I don't think that my friends & family think it's anything to be ashamed of.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Vorpal wrote:
pete75 wrote:

POC also includes other non-whites (i.e. first people, folks of Asian or Middle Eastern descent, etc.)
I don't think that being black is anything to be ashamed of, and I don't think that my friends & family think it's anything to be ashamed of.

First people - who knows what colour they were though the fact they were in Africa suggests they may have been black.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I wasn't aware of the use of the word "woke" as used here, but I don't mind it being used this way. If it just means "enlightened to race issues", fine, no problem. if it is slang rather than "proper English", well I use enough slang myself so I can't complain about it on those grounds.

I still refer to black people of African origin (going back far enough) as "black" because when I was growing up that is what we were told they wanted to be called, rather than "coloured". Fair enough, and that's what I've stuck with.