Are You Woke(n)?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Are You Woke(n)?

Yes
14%
No
10%
Maybe
7%
I dont know what it means
69%

Total votes: 29

mercalia

Are You Woke(n)?

Post by mercalia »

I keep on coming across this term, not sure what it means but seems derogatory or with-it depending on your point of view. It dont seem very grammatical to claim to be woke(n) for one? Does it mean you are wiccan?

eg re the new BBC director general -

It does not matter how many publicly funded bodies are bullied into acceding each and every demand from one or other victim group, it is still nowhere close to persuading the average voter — or licence fee payer — to clamber aboard the woke bandwagon........Under Lord Hall’s administration, a moronic wokeness began to infest each and every part of the BBC’s output.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2020/01/a-last-chance-to-save-the-bbc/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=WEEK%20%2020200125%20%20AL&utm_content=WEEK%20%2020200125%20%20AL%20CID_8abaec0250737d1d5a194276534fa5a3&utm_source=CampaignMonitor_Production&utm_term=The%20BBC%20must%20learn%20the%20lessons%20of%20Labours%20defeat
Cyril Haearn

Re: Are You Woke(n)?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Awareness, enlightenment, understanding, wisdom?
Is it a new word/use/meaning? Have a look in your Thesaurus
Cannae answer the question yet :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

I'll settle for "hep" - might achieve it one day.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I'd heard the term "woke" a couple of times but hadn't investigated its contemporary meaning before. According to dictionary.com

Woke means being conscious of racial discrimination in society and other forms of oppression and injustice...
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No idea what it means, and the link at the OP won't work unless I subscribe ............. which I won't.
Mick F. Cornwall
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

I thought "woke" was used more as an (adj) than a (n).

Dictionary.com's definition was probably the original meaning, but I've mostly seen it being used in the more derogatory sense which can be summed up as:

Conforming to or agreeing with the beliefs of any of several groups of activists.

If the activists in question oppose oppression and injustice, then both senses should mean the same thing.

A phrase I've seen elsewhere is "Get woke - go broke", which I'm told refers to businesses that try to show how woke they are by pandering to one group but end up alienating most of their customers - which shows they are not really "woke" (in the first sense) at all. I have come across a few examples of organisations behaving this way, but on closer inspection most of them appeared to be using the "woke" flag to cover up some internal politricks. :roll:
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:No idea what it means, and the link at the OP won't work unless I subscribe ............. which I won't.

you sure. I dont seem to have to register or subscribe just accept cookies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Wikipedia has the answer....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woke
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:Wikipedia has the answer....

Just to take that meaning and use it.
Can a white person(in a predominately white society)truly know the true meaning of being 'woke' in the same way as a person of colour,and similarly so the same as a woman's 'woken' state in a Male dominated society?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mercalia wrote:
Mick F wrote:No idea what it means, and the link at the OP won't work unless I subscribe ............. which I won't.

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 16.14.42.png
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:
mercalia wrote:

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 16.14.42.png

thats very strange

click to enlarge
click to enlarge

They must have it in for you since you dont have a tv license?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'm havingnthe same problem as MickF,I can't read the article and I do have a TV licence :?
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

reohn2 wrote:

Can a white person(in a predominately white society)truly know the true meaning of being 'woke' in the same way as a person of colour,and similarly so the same as a woman's 'woken' state in a Male dominated society?

Yes and no... The way my non-white friends use it is to refer (mostly) to white folks who understand the issues of racism, who listen and point out when other white folks do racist crap. So, a middle aged white guy, who talking about movies, might say to another white guy, "I don't like that movie because the book had some really good, strong POC characters, but the movie made them all minor characters, except the sidekick who got turned into magic negro". POC might say he is 'woke'. It's also not just understanding, but working for justice in a unjust system. Talking about representation in movies & literature, how the education systems disadvantages some youth, showing up for protests (or maybe giving money to organisations that work for justice, if someone isn't brave/extrovert enough for protest)

I do think that is possible for white folks to understand woke, even if they never feel racism in their bones the way POC do. Men who are feminists, or support the feminists in their lives can also be said to be woke. But people telling their friends to 'stay woke' is also important. They can't stop listening to what POC say just because they're 'woke'.

Unfortunately, there also an anti-woke movement. Folks who say that woke=snowflake and the backlash feeds the hostility towards feminism and anti-racism. While I don't think we should trivialise it, I also don't think that mainstream media should give it a platfom.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
RickH

Post by RickH »

reohn2 wrote:I'm havingnthe same problem as MickF,I can't read the article and I do have a TV licence :?

Me too on both counts.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Yes and no... The way my non-white friends use it is to refer (mostly) to white folks who understand the issues of racism, who listen and point out when other white folks do racist crap. So, a middle aged white guy, who talking about movies, might say to another white guy, "I don't like that movie because the book had some really good, strong POC characters, but the movie made them all minor characters, except the sidekick who got turned into magic negro". POC might say he is 'woke'. It's also not just understanding, but working for justice in a unjust system. Talking about representation in movies & literature, how the education systems disadvantages some youth, showing up for protests (or maybe giving money to organisations that work for justice, if someone isn't brave/extrovert enough for protest)

I do think that is possible for white folks to understand woke, even if they never feel racism in their bones the way POC do. Men who are feminists, or support the feminists in their lives can also be said to be woke. But people telling their friends to 'stay woke' is also important. They can't stop listening to what POC say just because they're 'woke'.

Unfortunately, there also an anti-woke movement. Folks who say that woke=snowflake and the backlash feeds the hostility towards feminism and anti-racism. While I don't think we should trivialise it, I also don't think that mainstream media should give it a platfom.

I can't argue with any of that,other than too say second hand experience can naver be felt in the same way as first hand.
W H Auden