Are You Woke(n)?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Are You Woke(n)?

Yes
4
14%
No
3
10%
Maybe
2
7%
I dont know what it means
20
69%
 
Total votes: 29

User avatar
RickH
Posts: 4734
Joined: 5 Mar 2012, 6:39pm
Location: Horwich, Lancs.

Re: Are You Woke(n)?

Postby RickH » 28 Jan 2020, 7:08pm

pete75 wrote:First people - who knows what colour they were though the fact they were in Africa suggests they may have been black.

First people in North America, what we used to call Indians, rather than the first people ever. In Canada they call them First Nations.

Strictly speaking they are aboriginal, but that term has come to be associated with the Australians.

They do share the fact that they have all been treated abominably by western incomers in recent history.


pete75
Posts: 12414
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Are You Woke(n)?

Postby pete75 » 28 Jan 2020, 8:26pm

RickH wrote:
pete75 wrote:First people - who knows what colour they were though the fact they were in Africa suggests they may have been black.

First people in North America, what we used to call Indians, rather than the first people ever. In Canada they call them First Nations.

Strictly speaking they are aboriginal, but that term has come to be associated with the Australians.

They do share the fact that they have all been treated abominably by western incomers in recent history.


Aboriginal? Didn't they have Asiatic origins?

pwa
Posts: 11226
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Are You Woke(n)?

Postby pwa » 28 Jan 2020, 9:38pm

pete75 wrote:
RickH wrote:
pete75 wrote:First people - who knows what colour they were though the fact they were in Africa suggests they may have been black.

First people in North America, what we used to call Indians, rather than the first people ever. In Canada they call them First Nations.

Strictly speaking they are aboriginal, but that term has come to be associated with the Australians.

They do share the fact that they have all been treated abominably by western incomers in recent history.


Aboriginal? Didn't they have Asiatic origins?

"Aboriginal" is now used mainly for the first human inhabitants of Australia, but it used to mean "the first people", for any land it was in reference to. I think that is how he is using the word here.

Mike Sales
Posts: 4165
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Are You Woke(n)?

Postby Mike Sales » 28 Jan 2020, 9:47pm

pwa wrote:
pete75 wrote:Aboriginal? Didn't they have Asiatic origins?

"Aboriginal" is now used mainly for the first human inhabitants of Australia, but it used to mean "the first people", for any land it was in reference to. I think that is how he is using the word here.


Yes, from the Latin, meaning from the beginning.
But both the first Australians and the first Americans came via Asia, though African in first origins, of course.

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17729
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: Are You Woke(n)?

Postby Vorpal » 28 Jan 2020, 9:56pm

pete75 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Being black is nothing to be ashamed of so why use a stupid euphemism?

POC also includes other non-whites (i.e. first people, folks of Asian or Middle Eastern descent, etc.)
I don't think that being black is anything to be ashamed of, and I don't think that my friends & family think it's anything to be ashamed of.


First people - who knows what colour they were though the fact they were in Africa suggests they may have been black.

Sorry, I should have capitalised it, First People (also, First Peoples, indigenous people, etc.)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

pete75
Posts: 12414
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Are You Woke(n)?

Postby pete75 » 29 Jan 2020, 8:26am

Vorpal wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:POC also includes other non-whites (i.e. first people, folks of Asian or Middle Eastern descent, etc.)
I don't think that being black is anything to be ashamed of, and I don't think that my friends & family think it's anything to be ashamed of.


First people - who knows what colour they were though the fact they were in Africa suggests they may have been black.

Sorry, I should have capitalised it, First People (also, First Peoples, indigenous people, etc.)


I guess it's not an expression familiar to many people in the UK.

AlaninWales
Posts: 1564
Joined: 26 Oct 2012, 1:47pm

Re: Are You Woke(n)?

Postby AlaninWales » 29 Jan 2020, 9:04am

pete75 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:
pete75 wrote:
First people - who knows what colour they were though the fact they were in Africa suggests they may have been black.

Sorry, I should have capitalised it, First People (also, First Peoples, indigenous people, etc.)


I guess it's not an expression familiar to many people in the UK.

Familiar enough, to those woke enough :lol: . It simply requires an awareness of the different ways that different cultures have been sensitised.

User avatar
Pastychomper
Posts: 343
Joined: 14 Nov 2017, 11:14am
Location: Caithness

Re: Are You Woke(n)?

Postby Pastychomper » 29 Jan 2020, 1:24pm

AlaninWales wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Sorry, I should have capitalised it, First People (also, First Peoples, indigenous people, etc.)


I guess it's not an expression familiar to many people in the UK.

Familiar enough, to those woke enough :lol: . It simply requires an awareness of the different ways that different cultures have been sensitised.


I must be slightly woke, then - I've heard "First Nation" a few times. :lol: I wonder if any of the people thus described are really descended from the first to settle in the area, but at least it's more likely to be accurate than "Indian". :)
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot

pete75
Posts: 12414
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Are You Woke(n)?

Postby pete75 » 29 Jan 2020, 4:34pm

Pastychomper wrote:
AlaninWales wrote:
pete75 wrote:
I guess it's not an expression familiar to many people in the UK.

Familiar enough, to those woke enough :lol: . It simply requires an awareness of the different ways that different cultures have been sensitised.


I must be slightly woke, then - I've heard "First Nation" a few times. :lol: I wonder if any of the people thus described are really descended from the first to settle in the area, but at least it's more likely to be accurate than "Indian". :)


Hardly any are descended form the first to settle in the areas they live in now. The US government forced most tribes to move to reservations often long distances from their own lands. Google trail of tears for instance.

mercalia
Posts: 12293
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Are You Woke(n)?

Postby mercalia » 3 Feb 2020, 8:44pm

Friends Re-Woken?

https://life.spectator.co.uk/articles/is-a-woke-reboot-of-friends-really-necessary/

What next

Til Death us Do Part?

Love your Neighbour?