Are You Woke(n)?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Are You Woke(n)?

Yes
14%
No
10%
Maybe
7%
I dont know what it means
69%

Total votes: 29

RickH

Re: Are You Woke(n)?

Post by RickH »

pete75 wrote:First people - who knows what colour they were though the fact they were in Africa suggests they may have been black.

First people in North America, what we used to call Indians, rather than the first people ever. In Canada they call them First Nations.

Strictly speaking they are aboriginal, but that term has come to be associated with the Australians.

They do share the fact that they have all been treated abominably by western incomers in recent history.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

RickH wrote:
pete75 wrote:First people - who knows what colour they were though the fact they were in Africa suggests they may have been black.

First people in North America, what we used to call Indians, rather than the first people ever. In Canada they call them First Nations.

Strictly speaking they are aboriginal, but that term has come to be associated with the Australians.

They do share the fact that they have all been treated abominably by western incomers in recent history.

Aboriginal? Didn't they have Asiatic origins?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote:
RickH wrote:

Aboriginal? Didn't they have Asiatic origins?

"Aboriginal" is now used mainly for the first human inhabitants of Australia, but it used to mean "the first people", for any land it was in reference to. I think that is how he is using the word here.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

pwa wrote:
pete75 wrote:Aboriginal? Didn't they have Asiatic origins?

"Aboriginal" is now used mainly for the first human inhabitants of Australia, but it used to mean "the first people", for any land it was in reference to. I think that is how he is using the word here.

Yes, from the Latin, meaning from the beginning.
But both the first Australians and the first Americans came via Asia, though African in first origins, of course.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

pete75 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Being black is nothing to be ashamed of so why use a stupid euphemism?

POC also includes other non-whites (i.e. first people, folks of Asian or Middle Eastern descent, etc.)
I don't think that being black is anything to be ashamed of, and I don't think that my friends & family think it's anything to be ashamed of.

First people - who knows what colour they were though the fact they were in Africa suggests they may have been black.

Sorry, I should have capitalised it, First People (also, First Peoples, indigenous people, etc.)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Vorpal wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:POC also includes other non-whites (i.e. first people, folks of Asian or Middle Eastern descent, etc.)
I don't think that being black is anything to be ashamed of, and I don't think that my friends & family think it's anything to be ashamed of.

First people - who knows what colour they were though the fact they were in Africa suggests they may have been black.

Sorry, I should have capitalised it, First People (also, First Peoples, indigenous people, etc.)

I guess it's not an expression familiar to many people in the UK.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

pete75 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Familiar enough, to those woke enough :lol: . It simply requires an awareness of the different ways that different cultures have been sensitised.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

AlaninWales wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Sorry, I should have capitalised it, First People (also, First Peoples, indigenous people, etc.)

Familiar enough, to those woke enough :lol: . It simply requires an awareness of the different ways that different cultures have been sensitised.

I must be slightly woke, then - I've heard "First Nation" a few times. :lol: I wonder if any of the people thus described are really descended from the first to settle in the area, but at least it's more likely to be accurate than "Indian". :)
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Pastychomper wrote:
AlaninWales wrote:
pete75 wrote:

I must be slightly woke, then - I've heard "First Nation" a few times. :lol: I wonder if any of the people thus described are really descended from the first to settle in the area, but at least it's more likely to be accurate than "Indian". :)

Hardly any are descended form the first to settle in the areas they live in now. The US government forced most tribes to move to reservations often long distances from their own lands. Google trail of tears for instance.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Friends Re-Woken?

https://life.spectator.co.uk/articles/is-a-woke-reboot-of-friends-really-necessary/

What next

Til Death us Do Part?

Love your Neighbour?