Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
francovendee

Re: Coronavirus - just how serious?

Postby francovendee » 30 Jan 2020, 9:40am

I heard on the wireless that there is a view that flying the stranded Brits home is the worse thing to do and will spread infection.
Having often caught a cold after a flight I can see the argument but feel really sorry for those stranded.

softlips

Postby softlips » 31 Jan 2020, 7:37pm

sjs wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:
brooksby wrote:
I'd thought it was "Corona" because the virus itself is kind of star shaped?

Lots of viruses are Corona viruses, including some influenza viruses, and the virus that causes SARS. They propagate by invading healthy cells, which then explode, ejecting new virus dna in the process ( like supernovae, or more precisely coronal ejections from a star,hence the name ) which spreads the virus rapidly through the surrounding cells.

According to Wikipedia

The name "coronavirus" is derived from the Latin corona and the Greek κορώνη (korṓnē, "garland, wreath"), meaning crown or halo. This refers to the characteristic appearance of virions (the infective form of the virus) by electron microscopy, which have a fringe of large, bulbous surface projections creating an image reminiscent of a royal crown or of the solar corona.

Same reasons the coronary arteries are named so.

horizon

Postby horizon » 1 Feb 2020, 10:44am

From the Guardian this morning:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... us-vaccine

Do read it - it explains that the human body (lung cells) have a perfect receptor (the ACE-2 receptor) ready to meet and greet the virus. A perfect fit in fact. So would anyone like to hazard a guess as to why the human body (yes, your body) is set up in this way? Fifth column perhaps?
The experience of travel is something that you have to pay for but can never buy. Ho Ri Zon Chinese philosopher

sizbut

Postby sizbut » 1 Feb 2020, 12:35pm

!!!What - it's kind of obvious that a respiratory virus that isn't evolved for the receptors on lung cells is a very short lived respiratory virus. So let's not hype up the scare and panic.

So far its death rate is nothing shocking (the usual old/very young/weak/those with other pre-existing conditions) and the infection rate is nothing special either. In fact, if it is infectious during the asymptomatic phase as some suggest, then its infection rate is actually quite low.

For context, bog standard seasonal flu kills in the 100-thousands worldwide each year.

dim

Postby dim » 1 Feb 2020, 6:24pm

a good site:

https://twitter.com/IsChinar

I'm a bit worried after seeing this site .... how will our goverment treat us if the SHTF? ....

The sick Chinese people are having a rough time rom their government

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 2 Feb 2020, 2:17pm

horizon wrote:From the Guardian this morning:

Do read it - it explains that the human body (lung cells) have a perfect receptor (the ACE-2 receptor) ready to meet and greet the virus. A perfect fit in fact. So would anyone like to hazard a guess as to why the human body (yes, your body) is set up in this way? Fifth column perhaps?

You're putting the cart before the horse: the ACE-2 receptor is part of the body's blood-pressure control system. Angiotensin - the A in ACE - causes blood vessels to contract, not just in humans but in practically every animal that has a circulatory system. Many coronaviruses have evolved to target ACE receptors: since they're so common, it's no surprise.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 4 Feb 2020, 10:46am

dim wrote:I'm a bit worried after seeing this site .... how will our goverment treat us if the SHTF? ....

That alarms me. I'm still not convinced about the deadliness of CV - not as compared with the Spanish Flu of 1918-19, which killed more people than WW1. Certainly my GP kept on badgering me (and won in the end) about having the jab for 'ordinary' seasonal flu - which I resisted for years, not being prone to fevers. He held forth about the number of flu deaths....

I'm mindful of this passage from Evelyn Waugh's satirical novel Scoop:
"In the civilised colonies, they send soldiers, not doctors. They make a ring all round the place where there is plague and shoot anyone who tries to get out. Then in a few days when everyone is dead they burn the huts."
Totally fictional and far-fetched, I grant you, but is what they're doing in China in the 21st century any more 'civilised'?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 4 Feb 2020, 10:51am

661-Pete wrote:
dim wrote:I'm a bit worried after seeing this site .... how will our goverment treat us if the SHTF? ....

That alarms me. I'm still not convinced about the deadliness of CV - not as compared with the Spanish Flu of 1918-19, which killed more people than WW1.

In my eyes, WWI was very deadly indeed. So I'm not sure what point you're making. :?

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 4 Feb 2020, 10:53am

mattheus wrote:
661-Pete wrote:

That alarms me. I'm still not convinced about the deadliness of CV - not as compared with the Spanish Flu of 1918-19, which killed more people than WW1.

In my eyes, WWI was very deadly indeed. So I'm not sure what point you're making. :?
Nor do I understand what point you are making. Did I ever say WW1 was not deadly?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 4 Feb 2020, 12:20pm

rjb wrote:The current containment measures can only slow the spread of the disease which in my opinion will become a worldwide pandemic. Slowing the spread gives pharmaceutical companies a better chance of producing a vaccine in time. ...

What exactly are the current "containment measures"?

I've just come back from 2½ months in SE Asia and since the outbreak started making the news I saw no change. Yangon still filled-up with visitors from China for the Chinese New Year. My flight home, in Mandalay airport health "control" was a sign saying that if you feel ill, report to the airport medical office. In Colombo (Sri Lanka) I wandered to the departure gate too early and wandered back to the main area via the "health screening" and I wandered outside the roped-off area and some military guy directed me in to be screened and I shook my head and bypassed it all. In Bangkok Airport - nothing.

Everything seems completely optional (unless you are flying in from Wuhan?) and dependent on somebody feeling ill and voluntarily submitting to checks.

Plenty wearing those mask things but most of those seem totally useless and there are always loads wearing them anyway.

Ian

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 6 Feb 2020, 10:06am

More thoughts about catching a virus (most often, merely a Common Cold) while on public transport.

Many trains nowadays have many seats all facing the same way, like on an aircraft, rather than the old-fashioned arrangement of seats facing one another in bays. Is the new arrangement safer for avoiding contagious infection? Certainly I prefer to sit in one of these aircraft-type seats, even if it means travelling backwards (something which doesn't bother me in the slightest, though it does some passengers). Means I'm not having to play 'footsie' with the passenger sitting opposite - especially one who's very tall!

One of the big risks of cross-infection seems to be someone coughing or sneezing into your face.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 6 Feb 2020, 11:25am

661-Pete wrote:More thoughts about catching a virus (most often, merely a Common Cold) while on public transport.

Many trains nowadays have many seats all facing the same way, like on an aircraft, rather than the old-fashioned arrangement of seats facing one another in bays. Is the new arrangement safer for avoiding contagious infection? Certainly I prefer to sit in one of these aircraft-type seats, even if it means travelling backwards (something which doesn't bother me in the slightest, though it does some passengers). Means I'm not having to play 'footsie' with the passenger sitting opposite - especially one who's very tall!

One of the big risks of cross-infection seems to be someone coughing or sneezing into your face.

I've just returned from SE Asia and it always comes as surprise how many non-westerners seem to enjoy wandering around looking like Hannibal Lecter. I had to wear one of those masks for a few hours (on a very dusty road a tuk-tuk driver stopped and went and purchased me one so it would have been rude not to wear it (briefly)). My impression is that they are mostly pretty useless: people wearing them are not coughing and spluttering so they don't stop the wear passing on any infection they may have and the nose & chin areas are so "open" most of the air you breath comes in through the gaps rather than through the filter. OK some wear really flashy ones that are probably better but most wear cheapo ones from stalls which are (in my opinion) useless.

Ian

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 6 Feb 2020, 11:29am

Seems to me that one of the big problems with assessing the infection is that we have no idea how many people have the disease but are asymptomatic - and without coughing and sneezing are not really passing it on. A bit like Zika - loads of people have (had) it but the consequences of the infection show in a small number of cases (small in relation to the number of those infected).

Maybe 90%+ of people in the closed off areas are infected but for most of those people it's a trivial asymptomatic infection.

Ian

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 6 Feb 2020, 12:50pm

Hi all, Just realised this morning that I was subjected to "Coronavirus" way back yonks?
When I was a nipper the "Corona Pop" wagon was always up and down our street! Seriously addicted was we kids, glug, glug, glug.
So now I think I may just be immune to the current version. :lol: :lol: :lol: MM

horizon

Postby horizon » 6 Feb 2020, 1:25pm

Audax67 wrote:
horizon wrote:From the Guardian this morning:

You're putting the cart before the horse: the ACE-2 receptor is part of the body's blood-pressure control system. Angiotensin - the A in ACE - causes blood vessels to contract, not just in humans but in practically every animal that has a circulatory system. Many coronaviruses have evolved to target ACE receptors: since they're so common, it's no surprise.

You must admit though that the relationship between the human body and the virus is quite interesting. We don't seem to have evolved to shut the virus out, indeed we seem quite friendly to it - a sort of old friend popping in who knows already where to hang his coat and where the biscuit tin is. :)
The experience of travel is something that you have to pay for but can never buy. Ho Ri Zon Chinese philosopher