Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: Coronavirus - just how serious?

Postby 661-Pete » 9 Feb 2020, 6:16pm

kwackers wrote:
661-Pete wrote:
I'm not sure I'm ready to believe that article - but if there's any truth in it, it makes a point.

It makes a lot of points, most of which appear to be unsubstantiated.

Nothing happens anymore without there being a conspiracy behind it...
Well I did express some scepticism...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 10 Feb 2020, 5:40pm

How to wash your hands

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/best-way-to-wash-your-hands/

and dont forget dont turn off the tap with your hands duh and also dont open the door with your hands duh ( well thats the advice just given out on radio 4 )

I have lots of cotton gloves meant for handling precious and fragile items. I think in future carry a pair with me around, though maybe rubber gloves would be better

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 10 Feb 2020, 6:53pm

Yes indeed: very salutary. I only wish everyone would adhere to this practice. I still believe that a nasty dose of what I think was norovirus, which struck me a few years ago, was down to a pub lunch I'd eaten the day before. Maybe the personal hygiene of one or other of the kitchen staff wasn't up to the standard we could have wished for...? But I have no proof.

And I've read somewhere - quite recently - that it is, or has been, common practice in English households to order children to wash their hands only after a meal, not before. Is there any truth in this? Does it mean that parents place avoiding sticky fingermarks on furniture etc., above the health of their children??? :evil: :evil: I have long suspected that there are some Englanders around with disgusting habits, but I've wished it not to be true...

Certainly not true in our household - nor was it true of my childhood household. I remember my father being extremely strict - authoritarian even - on such matters. Turning up at the table without having washed one's hands was a punishable offence....

I have to admit that as a child, I wouldn't have been as thorough about hand-washing as in the above link.

and dont forget dont turn off the tap with your hands duh and also dont open the door with your hands duh ( well thats the advice just given out on radio 4 )
which is why elbow taps, installed in places like hospitals, are a Good Idea. Not much you can do about touching the door - especially if you've locked it.

However, I do recall, back in my student days, a fellow student who was studying microbiology, informing me that the population of microflora on the skin actually increases after washing one's hands. I presume he was speaking of hands which were 'normally' clean prior to being washed - i.e. had not contacted anything contaminating since the last wash. But an alarming result all the same. This would explain why surgeons, and other medics who come into direct contact with patients, invariably wear gloves nowadays. They used to just scrub their hands.

I have lots of cotton gloves meant for handling precious and fragile items. I think in future carry a pair with me around, though maybe rubber gloves would be better
Thin disposable rubber gloves, not necessarily sterile, perhaps.

I used to wonder why the referee, in competitive snooker matches, invariably wears white cotton gloves. But no doubt it's to avoid getting fingerprints on a ball, which might affect its play. No such rule applies to the players, though (when placing the cue ball in baulk at the start of the frame etc.). Should it?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 11 Feb 2020, 9:04am

661-Pete wrote: I still believe that a nasty dose of what I think was norovirus, which struck me a few years ago, was down to a pub lunch I'd eaten the day before. Maybe the personal hygiene of one or other of the kitchen staff wasn't up to the standard we could have wished for...? But I have no proof.

Unfortunately, many restaurants under staff to save money, then encourage people to work sick because they can't cover their work, if they aren't there. No one who has had norovirus should be handling food, until they have been symptom free for at least 48 hours. Food is one of the most common way to pass it on.

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2019/ ... ick-leave/
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 11 Feb 2020, 11:21am

I see patient zero ( as HollyWood describes him/her) has been named. so he will get lynched :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51459210

Last edited by mercalia on 11 Feb 2020, 2:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 11 Feb 2020, 12:07pm

mercalia wrote:I see patient zero ( as HollyWood describes him/her) has been named. so he will get lynched :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51459210

It does seem a bit high risk, particularly, name, where they live, career, etc. Even if he agreed to such details being published I'd have expected the press to recognise the risks and be more restrained. After all, knowing his name, where he lives, etc. is not really crucial to the important aspect of the story (patient zero identified, recovered, in quarantine, etc.)

Ian

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 11 Feb 2020, 4:08pm

so the latest seems to be wear gloves when touching things like door handles? maybe when using the atm and pressing the buttons?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51176409

661-Pete

Re: Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Postby 661-Pete » 12 Feb 2020, 11:06am

Thread title changed to reflect official naming.

Panic stations - ongoing. Maybe these measures will reduce the spread of infection. Maybe they won't.

Meanwhile, according to government figures, Type 2 diabetes is leading to premature deaths of around 1.6 million worldwide, 22,000 in UK. Isn't that something to worry about? Oh, of course, it isn't infectious - so no worries! :twisted:

I remember a bout of flu that I had in my schooldays. As soon as my temperature dropped, my parents insisted I go back to school, so I did - with the customary sicknote. The games master approached me, saying "have you done your two [compulsory] sporting fixtures this week?". I said, no, I've been off sick. He said, well, try to fit one in if you can. So I went for a cross-country run around the school grounds. Next morning I was back in bed with a raging fever - this time it took a while longer to recover from. My father was extremely angry; I don't know whether he took it up with the school, but he was a rather argumentative and irascible sort, so it's likely.

But I recovered. Most people recover completely from flu: obvious fact.

I'm not belittling the worries about COVID-19. Yes it does seem to carry a high mortality. But it ain't gonna wipe us all out!

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 12 Feb 2020, 11:41am

661-Pete wrote:Thread title changed to reflect official naming.

Panic stations - ongoing. Maybe these measures will reduce the spread of infection. Maybe they won't.

Meanwhile, according to government figures, Type 2 diabetes is leading to premature deaths of around 1.6 million worldwide, 22,000 in UK. Isn't that something to worry about? Oh, of course, it isn't infectious - so no worries! :twisted:

I remember a bout of flu that I had in my schooldays. As soon as my temperature dropped, my parents insisted I go back to school, so I did - with the customary sicknote. The games master approached me, saying "have you done your two [compulsory] sporting fixtures this week?". I said, no, I've been off sick. He said, well, try to fit one in if you can. So I went for a cross-country run around the school grounds. Next morning I was back in bed with a raging fever - this time it took a while longer to recover from. My father was extremely angry; I don't know whether he took it up with the school, but he was a rather argumentative and irascible sort, so it's likely.

But I recovered. Most people recover completely from flu: obvious fact.

I'm not belittling the worries about COVID-19. Yes it does seem to carry a high mortality. But it ain't gonna wipe us all out!

I think the problem with new viruses is they get a hold on the population here, and stay, so thats some thing else to worry about, and then start to mutate. so stopping it getting a hold in the first place could be important though at the moment is no worse in mortality than flu?

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 12 Feb 2020, 12:22pm

I had to have a chat with a GP about this the other day and we got on to the subject of face masks many in China/SE Asia wear to protect themselves (? - me attributing motivation to others and they were pretty common before this virus hit the headlines). Apparently the type many people wear are pretty useless when it comes to stopping the wearer getting infected but can be helpful stopping an infected person spreading infection to others.

Ian

dim

Postby dim » 12 Feb 2020, 12:30pm

an interesting video:

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 12 Feb 2020, 1:33pm

Psamathe wrote:I had to have a chat with a GP about this the other day and we got on to the subject of face masks many in China/SE Asia wear to protect themselves (? - me attributing motivation to others and they were pretty common before this virus hit the headlines). Apparently the type many people wear are pretty useless when it comes to stopping the wearer getting infected but can be helpful stopping an infected person spreading infection to others.

Ian

due to coughing and sneezing droplets?

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 12 Feb 2020, 1:36pm

mercalia wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I had to have a chat with a GP about this the other day and we got on to the subject of face masks many in China/SE Asia wear to protect themselves (? - me attributing motivation to others and they were pretty common before this virus hit the headlines). Apparently the type many people wear are pretty useless when it comes to stopping the wearer getting infected but can be helpful stopping an infected person spreading infection to others.

Ian

due to coughing and sneezing droplets?

And stopping those droplets getting onto hands when you put your hand to your mouth when coughing/sneezing and thus stopping those droplets getting onto hands and being spread ...

Ian

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 12 Feb 2020, 1:43pm

Patient Zeros family tree. ( to be extended)

patient Zero.JPG

dim

Postby dim » 12 Feb 2020, 2:10pm

it leaked from a bio weapon lab?