What is the story behind your nom de plume ,alias here?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

What is the story behind your nom de plume ,alias here?

Post by mercalia »

I have wondered for some time where some of the seemingly exotic names people invent here as an alias. Maybe people would like to tell the story how they came to it?

mercalia

The first bike I ever bought my self was an Eddy Merckx sports bike, nothing special just had his name on the down tubes. Was one of many cheap bikes you could get in the day. That bike was the first to allow me to travel some distances rather than to school the opposite side of the town. The first time you get such freedom is so memorable? Able to go where you want ( and you have the energy to do so) limited only by the will and your imagination ( & foolishness?). I did my first tour on that bike Lowestoft thru Norwich to Kings Lynne, Grantham up to Lincoln, Selby, Thixendale ( the wolds), Boggle Hole, Whitby and back ( over the North York Moors). I can still remember it quite clearly. I had that bike a long time.

I cant remember where the alia came from maybe alias
Tangled Metal

Re: What is the story behind your nom de plume ,alias here?

Post by Tangled Metal »

I think when I first found this site I'd been reading about someone's bike accident and broken bike. I can never think of usernames but the accident post crept into my mind while it was empty on the username register page. I found myself typing tangled metal. Not sure it's appropriate but I had nothing else.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mine is pretty straightforward. I use my first name and surname initial (often used in work situations eg on meeting minutes). I discovered that there was already a Johnw so I added an adjective.
John
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Real simple..Paul at I C loud.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There was a reddit post where someone asked a strange question about your username being the way you are most likely going to die.

First reply was from ocean drowning! Not a new reddit poster so not made up for the question.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I was named as Northern man by a friend when I moved to Suffolk. I added UK when I couldn't have the email address, It was then NUK on an internet chat forum when somebody pronounced it on a conference call as Nuke I thought I would add the e, and as I was Europhile I thought it was appropriate. Inearly dropped it when Someone called themselves Nuke them all, and thought my name had something to do with Nuclear weapons.
NUKe

Post by Syd »

Having an incredibly common name things were getting silly with usernames based on that. Wanted something short and Syd was the first thing that came to mind. (Sid was generally always taken)
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all :shock: , Simples, I was vaccinated with a Gramophone Needle! MM
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

MM, like the last part of yours, mine is obvious :lol:

Alan
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I'm sure I've explained mine before, no matter. Pete is of course my real name, though nowadays I prefer "Peter".

I use this handle on several other places besides this. Not on any of the newspaper comments columns though.

I've had people ask whether "661" indicates my month/year of birth, i.e. either June 1961 or January 1966. Alas, no, I'm a lot older than that! The explanation is rather mundane: when I first signed up for an internet forum, Cycling+ back in around 2004, we'd just bought our house in France, and the main road that passes closest to it is the D661. The second-nearest happens to be the D911 - if I'd chosen the sobriquet "911-Pete" I reckon that would have raised a few eyebrows :shock: . But 661 it became.

There was one guy on C+ who appended "666" to his handle. Bearing in mind the connotations in The Omen, must've set some folks wondering... I've met him and can't say he looks particularly devilish, nor did he have anything of the Antichrist about him. But you never know.... :roll:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Landsurfer .... I started skateboarding in 1969, making my own skateboards out of pieces of pine and the trucks pinched from my sisters and her friends roller skates .... in my early teens i joined the a lifeguard group in Co.Down providing kayak safety cover to long distance swims and inevitably ended up surfing, long boards. We would disappear to the coast at weekends to ride the bigger Atlantic waves. I joined the RAF and was posted to RAF St Mawgan in Cornwall. Skateboarding in the carparks by the sea, catching waves .... Landsurfer ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
peetee

Post by peetee »

It’s my initials.
I also don’t like a strong cuppa, so it has a double meaning. 8)
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

I ride recumbents and am therefore seen as a bit of a geek, the only bike I've ever bought new is my Bacchetta Strada - the picture tells the story
IMG_1687-1.jpg
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Am Bodach should really be two words meaning The Old Man which I used as a pen name for writing articles for a local paper. This is also a good description. Somehow when I first registered the words got run together and I never got round to changing it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My name is Mick! :D

Now, where is Thirdcrank when you need him?
His username is more interesting.
Mick F. Cornwall