Favourite sweets

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: Favourite sweets

Post by mercalia »

rjb wrote:Aniseed balls,
Liquorice comfits
Nougat, the ones that came in a big slab either white or pink. They seemed big at the time but I was only little. :D

I would have added Gob Stoppers and Black jack's, but that would have meant a list of 5.

My mouth is now drooling at the thought of them all. :lol:. There appears to have been more choice in those far off days with a sweet shop on almost every corner. Certainly where I lived in Plymouth.

Nowadays I prefer a couple of chunks of milk chocolate which I have with a cup of tea most evenings.

The Americans had/have some thing called JAW BREAKERs. BIG gobbstoppers

2 1/4" in diameter

[youtube]qRRuOTuhL_o[/youtube]

There was even a teen film called JAW BREAKER which had disasterous results

[youtube]9931qhZEnuA[/youtube]
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Fresh wild plums + cherries
Free tasty health filling
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
RickH

Post by RickH »

100%JR wrote:Spangles
Tuiti Fruiti

Back then sweets were called spice.....which of course means something totally different now :|

In these parts - Horwich, near Bolton - all sweets are referred to as "toffees"*.

This initially caused confusion when asked if I would like a toffee & then be offered sweets that weren't toffee at all! So licorice allsorts could be offered as"toffees", or fruit pastilles... :?

(*I don't know how far afield this extends, I've only ever heard it round Horwich.)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

My Welsh mother used to call sweets 'Dab Dabs', I've not heard it used apart from her.
Syd

Post by Syd »

francovendee wrote:My Welsh mother used to call sweets 'Dab Dabs', I've not heard it used apart from her.

Used to buy what we called sherbert dabs as a kid in North Lanarkshire (Scotland) .
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Our local sweet shop always sold Mojos alongside the Black Jacks.
I think you could mix and match, at four for a penny (that really was a farthing each!)

And I've just remembered the penny Arrow bar. :)
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, I remember when sugar went off ration I walked into a shop run by a little old lady. She resumed he pre-war practise of making her own Cinder Toffee. Kid in a sweet shop for real, superb stuff. From then on my dental health went downhill. Plastic reigns now :oops: . TTFN MM
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

merseymouth wrote:Hi all, I remember when sugar went off ration I walked into a shop run by a little old lady. She resumed he pre-war practise of making her own Cinder Toffee. Kid in a sweet shop for real, superb stuff. From then on my dental health went downhill. Plastic reigns now :oops: . TTFN MM

I've always had a sweet tooth and still have a sweet every time it's offered .

I'm lucky that I have all my own teeth and haven't seen a dentist for 30 years.
When I was a boy I had a visit to a dentist and he decided I needed a tooth filled. The experience put me off for life.
Keep away from dentists, every visit lays down the need to see them again. What a money spinner of a business :roll:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

In the olde days our parents used to have to make every thing from jumpers to food. So my mum used to make treacle toffee.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Afternoon all, Me thinks that with all the political malice on this forum "Humbug" would be the out and out favourite? :lol: MM
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

mercalia wrote:In the olde days our parents used to have to make every thing from jumpers to food. So my mum used to make treacle toffee.

My Mum used to make Peanut Brittle and also Treacle Toffee.
One year she made the latter, using the pan of the pressure cooker.
I'm not sure what happened but somehow it got burnt.
We spent weeks with a hammer and chisel hacking it out.
The pressure cooker was handed down to us and years later there were still chisel marks and the odd black bits at the bottom of the pan. :lol:

I've been reading a book by Sue Townsed in which she referred to someone as swizzled.
So, anyone remember Swizzles sweet?
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

For me its got to be
Wine Gums
Jelly babies
and polo mints