UK rejoins EU: when?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

UK rejoins EU, when?

Two years
8%
Ten years
25%
Twenty years
10%
Fifty years
4%
Not in my lifetime
25%
Never, or at least 100 years
23%
Don't know
6%

Total votes: 52

merseymouth

Re: UK rejoins EU: when?

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, Folk must get real! Freighting food products half way round the world will never catch on :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The statement about the rise in food prices going skyward under E.E.C./E.U. rules is perfectly true.
I always had a fondness for Bulgarian Jam, way better that our home shores stuff, sod the Golly!
But can't lay hands on that jam any longer, but I can find foods brought from as far away as Teira De Fuego, flown in, so butter brought refrigerated from the Antipodes is sane in comparison. For me I'll think of food from Scotland as being exotic foreign stuff. MM
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

Tangled Metal wrote:Fishing rights will be a more international matter though.

If the fishing rights were to belong to the EU do you think they would allow us to fish there NO of course not so why should we. If the EU want British fish let them buy it at market prices , two can play at the same game.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote:Another Brexit thread eh? :lol:

I said on one of the others, that if UK can make a go of it, we won't have been the only ones leaving.
The EU is saddened that we are leaving, and no doubt saddened by the idea that the Union of Europe doesn't work.

Then again, it may be that future generations will want to re-join.
Good luck to them.

Future generations?

CURRENT generations don't want to leave...

The Brexit promising parties received significantly less than 50% of the vote in December, and claimed a large majority for that decision.

I will now ignore this thread, as I have done all news since December.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

yakdiver wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Fishing rights will be a more international matter though.

If the fishing rights were to belong to the EU do you think they would allow us to fish there NO of course not so why should we. If the EU want British fish let them buy it at market prices , two can play at the same game.

If you're interested in fishing rights, I suggest you read the political declaration.

[spoiler: fishing rights form part of the overall negotiation - ie if we want to keep 'em all, we lose EU markets. Fishing is <0.5% of our GDP, and is largely dependent on EU markets]
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Easy solution, give up on the most important concessions we want from the eu and we'll get control of our fishing waters. So financial passporting = goodbye a lot of revenue from the City of London financial centre.

Or fair access to the eu markets.

Or any number of other aspects of a deal that benefit us more than the eu.

Then add in that historical fishing charter that a part of Belgium has, obviously needs testing in a court of law - ECJ case coming up?

I'm afraid fishing rights is one of those aspects that get a lot if heat and noise from those against the eu but always we cave in to the interests of other nations to try and get a win elsewhere that's more important to our economy.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Tangled Metal wrote:Easy solution, give up on the most important concessions we want from the eu and we'll get control of our fishing waters. So financial passporting = goodbye a lot of revenue from the City of London financial centre.

Or fair access to the eu markets.

Or any number of other aspects of a deal that benefit us more than the eu.

Then add in that historical fishing charter that a part of Belgium has, obviously needs testing in a court of law - ECJ case coming up?

I'm afraid fishing rights is one of those aspects that get a lot if heat and noise from those against the eu but always we cave in to the interests of other nations to try and get a win elsewhere that's more important to our economy.

C'est exact.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

The EU are widely being portrayed as saying "Good riddance!" to us Brits. But I think it's more "OK, Mr Farage, go home now please."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 10286.html

The City of Brussels has laid on a festival of Britishness to say goodbye to the UK, ahead of Brexit.
The Belgian capital’s beautiful central square, the Grand Place, was lit up in Union Jack colours while bands played British music.

City authorities rented a real-life black London taxi, and also dressed two city employees up as Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson to pose for selfies with visitors.

Busby-hatted redcoats were posted by the entrance of the city hall, while revellers posed for photographs with a replica red telephone box.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

There would have to be some major benefit to rejoining that the electorate could actually recognise and believe. Battlebus figures aside we have always contributed more financially to the EU than got back (by some analyses we were in 1985 the second largest net contributor to the then EEC and the third poorest country per capita - this was of course well before the Eastern bloc countries joined).

If the EU got to its desired aim that all EU countries were equally economically developed then presumably the distribution of funds would be equitable, then perhaps people would view it with less suspicion. However l went to a conference in 2003 where a speaker predicted that the costs/prices/wages in in the British and Latvian forestry industries would be at parity by 2018. That patently didn't and hasn't happened.
irc

Post by irc »

After voting in the the poll the total for those who thought we would not rejoin in 50 years or was 52%. The same as the leave vote in the referendum!

EU poll.jpg
irc

Post by irc »

roubaixtuesday wrote:[spoiler: fishing rights form part of the overall negotiation - ie if we want to keep 'em all, we lose EU markets. Fishing is <0.5% of our GDP, and is largely dependent on EU markets]

The markets are not a gift from the EU. Free trade benefits both sides. In fact the EU benefit more than us as they have a large surplus. There is no need to surrender fishing rights for a trade deal.

As for the argument that our fish needs the EU market? It isn't the EU that buys fish. It is consumers and companies. They will still want to eat fish regardless of any trade deal. Even if the EU puts tarrifs on fish the UK will still have an advantage for fresh fish because we are within 24 hours travel from sea to plate.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

irc wrote:
The markets are not a gift from the EU. Free trade benefits both sides. In fact the EU benefit more than us as they have a large surplus. There is no need to surrender fishing rights for a trade deal.

You'll be able to explain why the political declaration says what it does then.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

[XAP]Bob wrote:CURRENT generations don't want to leave...

Correction:

Some of the current generations don't want to leave.
Mick F. Cornwall
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Have to say the most amusing aspect of Brexit from my perspective, has been pointing out to 1 - 2 individuals that the reason why their £ is now worth less when they're abroad for the winter, is because they voted for BREXIT. Some have been absolutely dumbfounded, because leaving the EU meant that they would have more money :roll:

Though having to point yesterday to some old ......that the local railway line closing down in 1957 had nothing to do with the EU, whereas the fact that the line was converted into a cycle path last winter was due to EU regional funding, comes a close second :roll: .
Debs

Post by Debs »

This poll is flawed by some people voting what they think will happen, and others voting for what they want to happen :roll:

I think what will happen is a re-join in about a decade. It will take about that period of time, with the oncoming enforced Tory-Brexit misery on the masses, for reflection and the harsh realisation of getting so totally and utterly duped by conmen & women of the ERG (The Entitled to Rule Greedily)
irc

Post by irc »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
irc wrote:

You'll be able to explain why the political declaration says what it does then.

XII.FISHING OPPORTUNITIES 71.The Parties should cooperate bilaterally and internationally to ensure fishing at sustainable levels, promote resource conservation, and foster a clean, healthy and productive marine environment, noting that the United Kingdom will be an independent coastal state.72.While preserving regulatory autonomy, the Parties should cooperate on the development of measures for the conservation, rational management and regulation of fisheries, in a non-discriminatory manner. They will work closely with other coastal states and in international fora, including to manage shared stocks.73.Within the context of the overall economic partnership the Parties should establish a new fisheries agreement on, inter alia, access to waters and quota shares.

It says the UK will be an independent coastal state. So any access granted is up to us. Obviously fish don't respect national boundaries. So where there is a fish stock shared between for example UK and EU waters then it makes sense for a fair allocation of the scientific quota for that fish between the UK and the EU.

That is not the same as the UK being dictated to by the EU and getting an unfair share.