1000 bed hospital in 10 days

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cunobelin

Re: 1000 bed hospital in 10 days

Post by Cunobelin »

merseymouth wrote:Hi, In the case of the RLUH the building isn't even third rate, more like fifth rate at best. Maybe erected by Polish Builders, but is truely Jerry Built!
The Victorian building that was closed in the 1960's is in far better shape. MM

Racism at its worst - you have no idea about nationality and stereotyping like this is at best distasteful
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cunobelin wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Hi, In the case of the RLUH the building isn't even third rate, more like fifth rate at best. Maybe erected by Polish Builders, but is truely Jerry Built!
The Victorian building that was closed in the 1960's is in far better shape. MM

Racism at its worst - you have no idea about nationality and stereotyping like this is at best distasteful

+1
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

merseymouth wrote:Ha Ruddy Ha, In Liverpool we have the staff, but crepe Carillion screwed everything up! Great staff, lousy political judgement that took us down the PPI route, yes that includes all of the M.P.'s. IGICB MM

Not according to the CQC who downgraded the Hospital last year because of concerns over a lack of skilled staff?
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello Cunobelin, I am not racist in the least, so moderate your words!
What I typed about the makeup of the workforce is a matter of fact, which had you ever visited the site you would know.
The construction workers in the local area can't get a look in for jobs on the building because of the sub-contracting nature of the industry in these times. We have modern era Gangmasters controlling the nature of the workforce.
As I had family members and friends who are still connected with the industry I know quite well that the "Lump" from the 1960's is back with us!
So cut out the slurs, dispute if you wish facts, but moderate your abusive attitude or maybe another poster will come to a sorry end.
Carillion were just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to building trade malpractices. MM.

*Any hospital that can function with water pouring through the roof deserves to get an objective hearing from a Quango jobsworth.
Hasn't the way that OFSTED & such QUANGO's go about their work taught you anything? Box Tickers, not practitioners. MM
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

francovendee wrote:
iandriver wrote:The Chinese are pretty good at publicity stunts when they know the world's focus is upon them.

Be careful who you envy.

Quite a stunt! Could it be done in the UK?

Dont give Boris ideas. He will think. How to solve the homeless crisis? Tents in Hyde Park or other local Parks? Sell it as a Green or Back To Nature stunt. He can then put on his Farmer Giles wellies as he visits them for the cameras.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

merseymouth wrote:Hello Cunobelin, I am not racist in the least, so moderate your words!
What I typed about the makeup of the workforce is a matter of fact, which had you ever visited the site you would know.
The construction workers in the local area can't get a look in for jobs on the building because of the sub-contracting nature of the industry in these times. We have modern era Gangmasters controlling the nature of the workforce.
As I had family members and friends who are still connected with the industry I know quite well that the "Lump" from the 1960's is back with us!
So cut out the slurs, dispute if you wish facts, but moderate your abusive attitude or maybe another poster will come to a sorry end.
Carillion were just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to building trade malpractices. MM.

*Any hospital that can function with water pouring through the roof deserves to get an objective hearing from a Quango jobsworth.
Hasn't the way that OFSTED & such QUANGO's go about their work taught you anything? Box Tickers, not practitioners. MM

The post speaks for itself. Whether you claim to be racist or not your statement was that it was a poor standard of the build because of the nationality of the builders. The post is unequivocally racist.

You did not as you now claim, discuss the makeup of the workforce.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Do research into the disgraceful state of the building trade in the UK! But then again you may not wish to do that otherwise you will discover that your pension pot is invested in such iffy traders?
Shame you can't discuss the history & current practises of the building trade with men such as Ricky Tomlinson, or even my late F-i-L, the lived through the Lump. Things may look fine but that is just a veneer to cover the corrupt mess. Grenfell is showing that quite clearly. MM
pete75

Post by pete75 »

merseymouth wrote:Hello Cunobelin, I am not racist but

FTFY
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Sorry Pete 75, What does FTFY mean? Sorry I don't understand ciphers. MM
pete75

Post by pete75 »

merseymouth wrote:Sorry Pete 75, What does FTFY mean? Sorry I don't understand ciphers. MM

It's not a cipher it's an acronym. It means fixed that for you. Try Google.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi again Pete75, Thanks for explaining the series of letters! As for Google? I prefer Googly, otherwise known in some circles as a Bosie, named after Bosenquet the cricketer. Yes related to the late ITV newsreader.
But knowing the nationalities of workers in the area is not racism. But in this instance it was the sign of a failed attempt at humour, rooted in Jerry built, which in itself is a corruption of the term "Jury Built or Rigged".
But go to any city in the country and you will find some very weird goings on in he building trade.
My late brother in law, who was a builder living in North Wales told me of much of it. He couldn't get work near home, but had to travel to either Liverpool or Manchester, the builders in those cities couldn't get work locally either, so there was a weird triangular routing each day. Not very green.
But some of these practises date well back, with builders from North Wales sailing to Liverpool to build houses, even brought their own bricks with them?
Quite what role the council building inspectors do is open to question? Staged building work signed off as correct without visiting the actual site is well known in the trade.
The foundations of the new RLUH have been found to be inadequate for the grosse weight of the hospital, so between blind eyes, shoddy workmanship and backhanders the whole process is a farce! Nothing racist intended, being of Irish decent I understand it well enough. I still recall signs in B & B's "No Dogs, Bl***s and Irish men"! Slur remain, just different groups named. MM
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Interestingly the breakdown of the Building industry does not reflect any form of a mass invasion by Polish builders. In 2018 the Office fro National Statistics put the figures at:

7% of workers in the construction industry in the UK are EU27 nationals and 3% are non-EU – compared with all other industries in the UK (excluding construction) – 6% EU27 nationals and 4% non-EU nationals.

The figures are hardly high, and if compared with other industries, fairly similar.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

merseymouth wrote:But knowing the nationalities of workers in the area is not racism.

Claiming that the standard of construction is poor because of their race is

1% of the workers are Polish, 2% are Estonian, and 93% British is a massive change from the statement that the quality is bad because it was built by Polish builders
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pete75 wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Sorry Pete 75, What does FTFY mean? Sorry I don't understand ciphers. MM

It's not a cipher it's an acronym. It means fixed that for you. Try Google.

It's an initialism.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Jerry- Built was first recorded in 1844 and is open to debate, but one of the more substantiated claims is a link to a poor quality building company Jerry Brothers. Another is a reference to the fall of the Walls of Jericho. Then we have the reference to jury built or jury-rigged meaning that you are making the best use of materials available

It has a factual description of the build, and ever had a racist element