Paying for Care

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Paying for Care

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:The Tories over the past 10 years have cut taxes,as a result we have the dire present situation,those who've benefited most from those tax cuts have been the rich who can afford privare healthcare.
We have a national healthcare crisis it's been engineered,we now have a PM who promises to spend £billions on the NHS,we'll see.....

I think it's way beyond simple funding now. Please can we have a Grand Commission of the finest brains (that would exclude many/most politicians, I fear) to properly, in a grown up and strategic manner address the huge systemic issues associated with the NHS, the Care System, our ageing population et al.

Then can we please get on with fixing things.

I agree,it's about time the NHS was wrested from the politrickian's grasp and as you say the systematic failings addressed.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:The Tories over the past 10 years have cut taxes,as a result we have the dire present situation,those who've benefited most from those tax cuts have been the rich who can afford privare healthcare.
We have a national healthcare crisis it's been engineered,we now have a PM who promises to spend £billions on the NHS,we'll see.....

I think it's way beyond simple funding now. Please can we have a Grand Commission of the finest brains (that would exclude many/most politicians, I fear) to properly, in a grown up and strategic manner address the huge systemic issues associated with the NHS, the Care System, our ageing population et al.

I agree,it's about time the NHS was wrested from the politrickian's grasp and as you say the systematic failings addressed.

And you know what, I think that would be a relief for all parties, including them.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I think it's way beyond simple funding now. Please can we have a Grand Commission of the finest brains (that would exclude many/most politicians, I fear) to properly, in a grown up and strategic manner address the huge systemic issues associated with the NHS, the Care System, our ageing population et al.

And you know what, I think that would be a relief for all parties, including them.

Possibly.
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Surprised nobody has mentioned the obvious solution, euthanasia. Not only would it solve the care problem but also the pensions crisis, NHS funding and the housing shortage.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We should all ride our bikes and not wear helmets.

This brings on instant death.
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Bonefishblues wrote:

There have been s couple of these in recent years: Wanless and another. Both largely shelved, although I believe that the current ceiling on what you can pay followed one of these.

Ultimately it will always end up with the politicians because they alone make the law.
John
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

There have been s couple of these in recent years: Wanless and another. Both largely shelved, although I believe that the current ceiling on what you can pay followed one of these.

There hasn't been anything to my knowledge that's been as expansive as I think is necessary though.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I think it's way beyond simple funding now. Please can we have a Grand Commission of the finest brains (that would exclude many/most politicians, I fear) to properly, in a grown up and strategic manner address the huge systemic issues associated with the NHS, the Care System, our ageing population et al.

There hasn't been anything to my knowledge that's been as expansive as I think is necessary though.

I'm sure you are right.
John
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Mick F wrote:Yep.
I agree.

Maybe we should have free social care payed for by a tax on babies being born. :wink:

Life is a conveyor belt.
You come into this world, and you depart from it.

It's the departure that people pay for.
Daft, in the extreme IMHO.

I had two friends who were nurses. One worked with neonatal babies the other in the cardiac ward. They used to say one counted them in the other counted them out. Medical staff often have sick sense of humour it seems.

They were characters. One a strong and powerful amazonian warrior, the other a petite lass. Guess which one did which job? The Amazon worked in neonatal but the petite nurse spent her time helping overweight men in and out of bed. The wrong way around!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Social care isn't in the NHS so your point is what? Tories had 10 years to sort it out?

Actually, it is in the same department: The Department of Health and Social Care.

Not the same cost centre or budget so not the part of the NHS. Elderly social care if not funded by the person is funded by the local council.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

R2 is still going on about the system being the Tory's fault when it's a system that hasn't changed much the whole time several governments have been in place. No government in my lifetime has set up a workable social care system for adults.

I've lived through a few governments dating back to Heath but I only really remember Callaghan and Wilson. Perhaps Callaghan set up an excellent adult social care system but evil Maggie Thatcher dismantled a working and fair system without it affecting her chances at the next election. Somehow I doubt that happened.

I think a grand royal commission is needed like someone else suggested. It's beyond parties it needs serious approach beyond party politics.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Tangled Metal wrote: Elderly social care if not funded by the person is funded by the local council.

That would be the local council whose budget has borne the brunt of the spending cuts during the years of austerity.

Councils in England are calling for the end of austerity, saying the UK government plans to slash their core funding 77 per cent. Between 2015 and 2020, the Revenue Support Grant will have shrunk 77p in the pound, the Local Government Association says.

The LGA says it is impossible to cut any further. It estimates a £5.8bn funding gap in 2020 — even if councils stopped filling in potholes, maintaining parks and open spaces, closed all children’s centres, libraries, museums, leisure centres, turned off every street light and shut all discretionary bus routes.

https://www.ft.com/content/9c6b5284-6000-11e7-91a7-502f7ee26895
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tangled Metal wrote:R2 is still going on about the system being the Tory's fault ......

No I'm not,I'm stating that the system has become WORSE under the 10 years of Tory government,and that in that time the well off have been given more tax cuts than the poorer in society.As a result there's been less money available for what's needed in our society.
As Mike's post above states,the cut to local authorities has been crippling

That is what I'm saying!
W H Auden
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Turn all care homes into HMPs :wink:
At least that way the Tax payer takes the brunt and the elderly will be much better looked after :|
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Wow, No one has raised the "Soylent Green" solution yet :shock: :shock: :shock: , Pick your exit music? Mine is Gracie Fields singing "He's Dead But He Won't Lie Down". MM