Civil Discourse on the Implications of Brexit

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
roubaixtuesday

Civil Discourse on the Implications of Brexit

Postby roubaixtuesday » 4 Feb 2020, 10:46pm

What it says on the tin

merseymouth

Re: Civil Discourse on the Implications of Brexit

Postby merseymouth » 4 Feb 2020, 11:13pm

What like Hammerite? Minimal preparation needed, does the job in one coat and is rock solid within days.
Bloody difficult to get out, of the brush! Not like the E.U. :wink: . MM

Ben@Forest

Postby Ben@Forest » 5 Feb 2020, 6:22am

On threads passim, and one in particular, there has been a considerable amount of non-civil discourse. As someone as a conservative with a small 'c' l have found it interesting that many on the left find themselves arguing for what is a neoliberal project.

http://bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/?p=41571

For more than 20 years l have worked within EU funding regulations and structures where the EU spends most of their (or more accurately taxpayers') money - agriculture.
Though l am sure the UK has had its own part to play in poor administration of this, the EU is also to blame; and l know from personal experience that even when dealing with EU bodies direct (rather than through Defra or the RPA) they pay late. I have generally not seen convincing reasons why the EU do it better. Of course that's all to be proven now!

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 5 Feb 2020, 8:40am

I have to say that, whilst generally the cycling threads are helpful and discussions are made with courtesy, the areas where I have seen the most unpleasant and offensive posts have not been on political threads but in the discussions on helmets, wearing black/hi-viz and electric bikes.

I expect robust disagreement in he teashop: not so much elsewhere.
John

roubaixtuesday

Postby roubaixtuesday » 5 Feb 2020, 8:52am

Oldjohnw wrote:I have to say that, whilst generally the cycling threads are helpful and discussions are made with courtesy, the areas where I have seen the most unpleasant and offensive posts have not been on political threads but in the discussions on helmets, wearing black/hi-viz and electric bikes.

I expect robust disagreement in he teashop: not so much elsewhere.

The subject of bicycle lights is remarkable in its vitriol at times.

Naturally, this thread, featuring solely well informed and civil discourse, will be a beacon shining through the darkness to inspire posters on those other subjects. Or something like that :wink:

roubaixtuesday

Postby roubaixtuesday » 5 Feb 2020, 8:55am

Ben@Forest wrote:On threads passim, and one in particular, there has been a considerable amount of non-civil discourse. As someone as a conservative with a small 'c' l have found it interesting that many on the left find themselves arguing for what is a neoliberal project.

http://bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/?p=41571

For more than 20 years l have worked within EU funding regulations and structures where the EU spends most of their (or more accurately taxpayers') money - agriculture.
Though l am sure the UK has had its own part to play in poor administration of this, the EU is also to blame; and l know from personal experience that even when dealing with EU bodies direct (rather than through Defra or the RPA) they pay late. I have generally not seen convincing reasons why the EU do it better. Of course that's all to be proven now!

Agriculture is the one area where Brexit is a significant opportunity to improve things IMO.

Alas, the focus there seems to be on opening up our market to cheaper food from juristictions with lower environmental and welfare standards, with the concomitant implications for the industry here.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 5 Feb 2020, 9:25am

Focus by whom? There's a big thing right now as painting the Tories as wanting to let American farming and food standards in and sell out the NHS. Whilst some notes from a non- trade meeting (legally still in eu so can't have trade talks with third parties at the time :lol: ), had some mention of a few disliked matters being discussed. I do wonder if there's any truth there.

Would any UK government allow us costs for drugs? I've seen some truly amazing figures for American medical costs compared to around the world. Not sure how true some were since some sources weren't verifiable trusted. But £1000 to have skin to skin contact between mother and newborn, ambulance callout £1500. There's governors signing off legislation limiting essential diabetic drugs to $100 a go, £10 or less in most other countries. Can you really see that shoot coming over here? Way to kill the conservative party if it did.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 5 Feb 2020, 9:31am

Hi,
merseymouth wrote:What like Hammerite? Minimal preparation needed, does the job in one coat and is rock solid within days.

Wrong!
It does not do exactly what it says on the tin.
Unless you kill the rust first or stabilise it and then use the undercoat, the stuff just comes off again, it's a coverall for part of the time So you can move on quickly to some other quick job.
Anything Hamerite you buy today is easily washed in white spirit.
The "Krust" Anti rust, rust stabiliser fluid washes out in the water always has.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 5 Feb 2020, 10:17am

I hope we're not going to see a fight over hammerite! :lol:

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 5 Feb 2020, 10:54am

Tangled Metal wrote:Focus by whom? There's a big thing right now as painting the Tories as wanting to let American farming and food standards in and sell out the NHS. Whilst some notes from a non- trade meeting (legally still in eu so can't have trade talks with third parties at the time :lol: ), had some mention of a few disliked matters being discussed. I do wonder if there's any truth there.

Would any UK government allow us costs for drugs? I've seen some truly amazing figures for American medical costs compared to around the world. Not sure how true some were since some sources weren't verifiable trusted. But £1000 to have skin to skin contact between mother and newborn, ambulance callout £1500. There's governors signing off legislation limiting essential diabetic drugs to $100 a go, £10 or less in most other countries. Can you really see that shoot coming over here? Way to kill the conservative party if it did.

Your assumption is that it would all happen in one go - if it did then yes it would kill the tories.

However it wont. It'll slowly leech in over a period of years so you'll simply get used to the way things are and then at some point many years in the future you'll suddenly realise that it happened and you missed it by which time the majority of voters will have simply lived with it and not understand the fuss.

There are lots of little tweaks going on right now that seem to be running the majority by.
Death by a thousand cuts - that's the real legacy we'll have from brexit.

mjr

Postby mjr » 5 Feb 2020, 11:05am

Tangled Metal wrote:I hope we're not going to see a fight over hammerite! :lol:

No need to fight. Rustoleum is far better than the hyped flaky paint.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

PH

Postby PH » 5 Feb 2020, 11:08am

Ben@Forest wrote: As someone as a conservative with a small 'c' l have found it interesting that many on the left find themselves arguing for what is a neoliberal project.

There’s more than one Left, just as there’s more than one Right. The hard left have always been opposed, the moderates would rather it didn’t exist but feel we’re better off in while it does and the soft left are only left in name and liberals in reality.

661-Pete

Re: [UN]Civil Discourse on the Implications of Brexit

Postby 661-Pete » 5 Feb 2020, 11:14am

merseymouth wrote:What like Hammerite? Minimal preparation needed, does the job in one coat and is rock solid within days.
I thought that was Ronseal, actually. But no matter.
Just you wait till December! You ain't seen nothin' yet! :wink:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 5 Feb 2020, 11:18am

roubaixtuesday wrote:What it says on the tin
Yep - I'm sitting back waiting for this "civil discourse" to come along...

And I've fed all the pigs and brushed their feathers: just waiting for them to fly off...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

roubaixtuesday

Postby roubaixtuesday » 5 Feb 2020, 11:25am

661-Pete wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:What it says on the tin
Yep - I'm sitting back waiting for this "civil discourse" to come along...

I'm confident you will lead the way!