Climate talks

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Climate talks

Postby Oldjohnw » 5 Feb 2020, 7:38am

Nine months to go before crucial - even existential - talks.

First chair sacked, Cameron and Hague turn it down. Leadsome, who is a denier and has just over-ruled planning inspectors (who said it was against Government climate targets) and given the go ahead to Europe's largest gas power station, appears now to be the favourite.

The Government is in dispute with the Scottish Government and they cannot even sort out the venue. The largest ever and probably the most important event on UK soil.
John

Tangled Metal

Re: Climate talks

Postby Tangled Metal » 5 Feb 2020, 8:24am

You don't think it a bit petty for the SNP to beat the cop26 committee to some of the rooms at one of the venues or was that unhappy coincidence?

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 5 Feb 2020, 8:45am

Tangled Metal wrote:You don't think it a bit petty for the SNP to beat the cop26 committee to some of the rooms at one of the venues or was that unhappy coincidence?

Perhaps. Pettiness is everywhere. Johnson has also denied the FM any role in an event which takes place in her country. That is petty. But it is symptomatic of the whole project. It is Johnson who is in charge, not Sturgeon, and he is hopelessly ill prepared.

But then, he is hopelessly ill prepared for the very project he has orchestrated: Brexit.
John

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 5 Feb 2020, 8:52am

Tbh the way the FM operates to further her own cause I'd not want her to get the international exposure too. Not completely petty just not wanting her to be a face of the uk to the world. Just as I'd rather not have boris and Corbyn representing the UK. I can't have everything but with boris' election win and pettiness 2 out of 3 unsuitable politicians is as good as we'll get.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 5 Feb 2020, 10:22am

Tangled Metal wrote:You don't think it a bit petty for the SNP to beat the cop26 committee to some of the rooms at one of the venues or was that unhappy coincidence?

The area the SNP have booked is on the other side of the river from the proposed climate venue. Should they stop using anything anywhere in Glasgow or even Scotland in case Westminster decides it wants to use it?

Ian

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 5 Feb 2020, 12:41pm

You have acquired, since the Tory victory, an unfortunate inclination to defend their actions no matter what. Don't get me wrong - they need someone to try to defend what is often indefensible, poor things!

But adopting a fanboy attitude merely undermines your credibility. If you are to make a case for various Tory actions it'll have to be better than this whataboutism if it's to stand a chance of convincing anyone other than another Tory fan.

Cugel, waiting to be moderator-snipped. :-)

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 5 Feb 2020, 12:59pm

When CUK announced making Penrith the venue for the Birthday Rides I didn’t waste a second booking my bed at the Wayfarers Hostel for that period. My excellent accommodation was £20/night considerably less than the official site 2 mls away.
Was that a 'petty' act? I don’t think so, self interest certainly, or do you think I’m wrong?

Boris said a while back there was to be no Saltire flag flying at COP He also said NS was not to be there.
Was that a ' petty ' act? I’d say it was or do you think I’m wrong?

Latest on this saga i read yesterday Boris is saying it’s too expensive to hold in Glasgow and looking for somewhere else. Bet you that somewhere else will be in England. If it’s true I’d say that was a 'petty' action too.

But hey as long as this Union you’re so proud of puts down and keeps a Nation in its place everything is HonkyDory.

I think the truth is Boris is very afraid of NS as when it comes to intelligence he can’t even dream to compete. Dom would never allow it. :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

Ben@Forest

Postby Ben@Forest » 6 Feb 2020, 7:12am

Paulatic wrote:I think the truth is Boris is very afraid of NS as when it comes to intelligence he can’t even dream to compete. Dom would never allow it. :lol:

I can't say Sturgeon has demonstrated great intelligence, but both she and Johnson have good political nous and savvy. Politically she is a one trick pony. She's very good at that trick, she should be, she's been performing it for years. When quizzed on issues other than independence (and we don't see much of that in the English media) she's not so good. I've seen her talking live and she wasn't bad, but not great either.

Those who disagree with the Conservatives are keen to point out that in the GE they got 43% of the vote but 56% of the seats. The SNP have 3.9% of the vote and 7.5% of the seats. They are massively overrepresented, but l think that's as much the collapse of Labour, not a real belief in the SNP.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 6 Feb 2020, 8:50am

Ben@Forest wrote:
Paulatic wrote:I think the truth is Boris is very afraid of NS as when it comes to intelligence he can’t even dream to compete. Dom would never allow it. :lol:

I can't say Sturgeon has demonstrated great intelligence, but both she and Johnson have good political nous and savvy. Politically she is a one trick pony.

I’m happy you qualified your opinion with 'political'. Don’t forget that Boris shied away from Andrew Neil why was that?
My original opinion was regarding intelligence. The sort you acquire from habitual reading, listening, thinking then being able to relate to your fellow man without imitating a bumbling idiot from a sixties children’s show.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 6 Feb 2020, 8:56am

Climate talks?
It seems to me there's plenty of talk but not enough action from leaders.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.