Towel holder revealed

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Paulatic

Towel holder revealed

Postby Paulatic » 5 Feb 2020, 12:37pm

I’ve been busy fitting a new shower downstairs . Always ones to plan ahead it’s ready for the dreaded white plastic stool which I dearly hope neither of us will ever need.
As with most projects I do I’m always keen to add a little quirkiness. My imagination strayed to towel holders.

I’ve used some used items from a bicycle :)
364797C3-5DCB-46CE-BCBA-5F3A95EBB773.jpeg
What’s under the towels?

What would you use? Guess away I’ll reveal later.
Last edited by Paulatic on 5 Feb 2020, 9:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

rjb

Re: Towel holder

Postby rjb » 5 Feb 2020, 1:15pm

A brake stirrup judging by the size and shape. :wink:
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 5 Feb 2020, 1:20pm

Saddles? His and hers.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 5 Feb 2020, 4:13pm

Went to a shop selling bar stools with a drive train going up the shaft of the stool with the pedals on the same side as onscreen placements for your feet. It worked ok.

This case I'd say upturned drop bar brake levers. Or a stem for each towel.

If you needed the towels to be held further out you could use a stem with cow horns type handle bars perhaps. Of course you could just have used standard hooks bought from B&Q (other DIY shops are available), but that would be boring.

Paulatic

Re: Towel holder revealed

Postby Paulatic » 5 Feb 2020, 9:06pm

These are working extremely well :) A wee spacer in the back so they are sitting about 10mm off the wall.
Image Attachments
AA4E8095-8410-4284-9E02-A21C3EDA48F6.jpeg

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 5 Feb 2020, 9:54pm

Since you've now revealed, I can't come up with any clever ideas (rear derailleur? But must be thoroughly cleaned first!).

Reminds me of the spell I had in hospital last month, when a nurse needed to fit me up with a drip. She couldn't find a drip support pillar, so she tried hanging the bag from the swivel arm supporting my bedside TV. It didn't work: the bag was too heavy and pulled the arm down. Eventually she managed to get hold of a proper drip support.

Any ideas what else she might have used?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

rjb

Postby rjb » 5 Feb 2020, 10:48pm

661-Pete wrote:Since you've now revealed, I can't come up with any clever ideas (rear derailleur? But must be thoroughly cleaned first!).

Reminds me of the spell I had in hospital last month, when a nurse needed to fit me up with a drip. She couldn't find a drip support pillar, so she tried hanging the bag from the swivel arm supporting my bedside TV. It didn't work: the bag was too heavy and pulled the arm down. Eventually she managed to get hold of a proper drip support.

" Skyhooks ". :lol:
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 6 Feb 2020, 9:36am

rjb wrote:
661-Pete wrote:Since you've now revealed, I can't come up with any clever ideas (rear derailleur? But must be thoroughly cleaned first!).

" Skyhooks ". :lol:

Perhaps a helium balloon? But it'd have to be a pretty hefty one. A blimp, perhaps...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

100%JR

Postby 100%JR » 6 Feb 2020, 10:18am

Paulatic wrote:These are working extremely well :) A wee spacer in the back so they are sitting about 10mm off the wall.

Won't the teeth wear holes in towels :?: :wink:

Can't remember where exactly but I've seen photos of forks and drop bars used as toilet roll holders.The forks were mounted to a plate and stood upside down on the floor and the bars were fixed to the wall.

The only "recycled" parts I've used are the excess cut off a chain as a key ring:-

I've done this as long as I can remember....there's now a company selling coloured chain keyrings so I missed an opportunity there :lol:
I also used an "upcycled" case for my phone/key/money made from inner-tubes:-

Quite good.Holds iPhone XR,house keys/cash/card and fits snugly into a rear jersey pocket 8)

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 6 Feb 2020, 12:38pm

I did consider that and did some testing.
The teeth have no sharp edges I was prepared to file if need be. The weight of a towel is sufficient to hold it without pulling tautly over the teeth. The weight is spread through a few teeth.
If you were to hang a weight on the bottom of the towel then yes I think you’d eventually end up with holes.

iandriver

Postby iandriver » 6 Feb 2020, 3:58pm

Paulatic wrote:

I did consider that and did some testing.
The teeth have no sharp edges I was prepared to file if need be. The weight of a towel is sufficient to hold it without pulling tautly over the teeth. The weight is spread through a few teeth.
If you were to hang a weight on the bottom of the towel then yes I think you’d eventually end up with holes.

I'm guessing you don't have school aged children :wink:
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 6 Feb 2020, 4:03pm

iandriver wrote:[

I'm guessing you don't have school aged children :wink:

:lol: :lol: You guess right :)