Phillip Schofield announcement

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17913
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: Phillip Schofield announcement

Postby Vorpal » 8 Feb 2020, 9:08pm

mercalia wrote:I bet he didnt put out a full page ad in the local paper or the Express to tell every one then?

He's not a public figure.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

landsurfer
Posts: 5081
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Re: Phillip Schofield announcement

Postby landsurfer » 8 Feb 2020, 9:15pm

I have 2 t-shirts presented to me by my son ..... his say "Glad to be Gay" .... mine say "Happy to be Hetro" .... family can be fun .... :lol:
They go well with my 80's t-shirts featured in "Back Street Heroes" ... Death Before Disco ... God, i was so young ....... well in my 30's ... second wife .. 2 wars .... yea ... i was ok .... :lol:
Last edited by landsurfer on 8 Feb 2020, 9:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Road Goes On Forever

gbnz
Posts: 1681
Joined: 13 Sep 2008, 10:38am

Re: Phillip Schofield announcement

Postby gbnz » 8 Feb 2020, 9:31pm

Mick F wrote:
Morzedec wrote:I want the whole world to know - that I'm a cyclist.

Happy days,
Me too.

I'm a cyclist.


Who knows? Perhaps some people believe cycling should be criminalized :wink:

Though have to admit I've always been OUT as a cyclist

landsurfer
Posts: 5081
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Re: Phillip Schofield announcement

Postby landsurfer » 8 Feb 2020, 9:48pm

I make sure everyone has no doubt about my being a cyclist .....
1. Ride a bicycle.
2. Sometimes wear lycra.
3. Sometimes wear other stuff.
4. Always say hello to others on bi-cycles ....
5. Sweat a lot and stink of formaldehyde ...
The Road Goes On Forever

wirral_cyclist
Posts: 714
Joined: 17 May 2010, 9:25pm
Location: Wirral Merseyside

Re: Phillip Schofield announcement

Postby wirral_cyclist » 8 Feb 2020, 11:11pm

merseymouth wrote:"What is a real relationship?". Well it certainly isn't to live a lie!
There have been many stars who have hid their sexual preference, I will not list any of the ones I know about, but sadly when the truth emerges it always causes pain.
I know of at least one professional person ho lived the lie, with wife & children, he also had a string of convictions for "Procuring for immoral purposes in a public place", gents toilets, his convictions ere public knowledge and they brought problems for the family.
He was a solicitor in the lawful sense so he knew full well his situation. I always felt sorry for his wife. MM


Guilty get "???" - (3/4 of a scary dinosaur?)

reohn2
Posts: 37857
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Phillip Schofield announcement

Postby reohn2 » 9 Feb 2020, 12:51am

Should people really need labels such GAY,straight,cyclist,motorist,etc?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

pwa
Posts: 11667
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Phillip Schofield announcement

Postby pwa » 9 Feb 2020, 7:40am

reohn2 wrote:Should people really need labels such GAY,straight,cyclist,motorist,etc?

From a practical point of view the use of the word "gay" does something useful. For a significant portion of the population it is accurate and informative and helps people understand each other. My son is gay and as soon as he told us it made things fall into place and we were able to move forward. So the word helped. It gave us a sense of how he saw himself and where he thought he was going and we were able to give him the moral support he needed.

As for Schofield, his sexual orientation issues are his own business, and I have no views on it. I hate all the celeb stuff and celeb lives being documented, so I'd be happier if there were less of this in the news. But he has dragged his wife onto the TV screens in the past and made her part of his TV existence, so I suppose he has to explain how this relationship he has already documented has changed. It doesn't interest me but it will interest folk who have followed him on TV.

merseymouth
Posts: 1497
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: Phillip Schofield announcement

Postby merseymouth » 9 Feb 2020, 8:17am

Morning all, I think I have a problem?
I count myself as a cyclist, moved by wheels, but I don't ride a Bicycle! Used to then I found a more deviant fetish in life which really suited my odd personality. So I must declare my obsession which has changed my life for the good & that of my wife of 45 years? "I Am A Tricyclist"!
There, done it, formally come out, I am turned on by sitting atop 3 wheels. I can happily move between variants, normal, if I can put it like that with a single wheel at the front & two at the rear, but I have been known to switch my fancy to an oddity type, Kendrick, with two wheels up front, one trailing behind.
Luckily, before my wife had a work accident she to threw a leg over a trike frame, she had two, plus outings on our "Let's Do It Together" machine, a tandem trike!
Whilst our daughter actually owns a fall over machine, bicycle, she has left it in my workshop?
I am seriously worried about that girl? Does she have a variant gene which will blight her life? The poor neglected machine is name "Tinkerbell", though it isn't pink.
So, there got it off my chest, but I get worried that the odd folk who only ride two-wheelers, will they really accept my abnormal passion?
Nearly forgot, I've also lapsed and dallied with Uni-Cycles, but that was just a momentary affectation!
I now face the world at large, the Red Top merchants can't create an outing situation. Press on Mud-Guardless. MM

reohn2
Posts: 37857
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Phillip Schofield announcement

Postby reohn2 » 9 Feb 2020, 8:33am

pwa wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Should people really need labels such GAY,straight,cyclist,motorist,etc?

From a practical point of view the use of the word "gay" does something useful. For a significant portion of the population it is accurate and informative and helps people understand each other. My son is gay and as soon as he told us it made things fall into place and we were able to move forward. So the word helped. It gave us a sense of how he saw himself and where he thought he was going and we were able to give him the moral support he needed.

I was meaning as a defining label by society,should a wo/man's sexual orientation,mode of transport,etc,define them as a person,should it matter?


As for Schofield, his sexual orientation issues are his own business, and I have no views on it. I hate all the celeb stuff and celeb lives being documented, so I'd be happier if there were less of this in the news. But he has dragged his wife onto the TV screens in the past and made her part of his TV existence, so I suppose he has to explain how this relationship he has already documented has changed. It doesn't interest me but it will interest folk who have followed him on TV.

I take your point.
IMO there's far too much emphasis and attention on what the latest celeb of the month is doing,I've met quite shallow people who's lives seem to revolve around the latest celeb news as if these people are somehow better than the rest of us because of their media status,it's always been there but seems to be more prevalent these days.Social media,gossip mags,and some of the truly diabolical TV shows don't help.
I'm left wandering at times just what it is these people actually do other than pratle on mostly about the insignifiances of everyday life,talking shops without direction or mening other than who's wearing what this month :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

francovendee
Posts: 1250
Joined: 5 May 2009, 6:32am

Re: Phillip Schofield announcement

Postby francovendee » 9 Feb 2020, 8:42am

reohn2 wrote:Should people really need labels such GAY,straight,cyclist,motorist,etc?


No we don't and as soon as we stop making such a big thing of peoples sexuality the better.
What a person is or does regarding their sexuality doesn't matter a jot. Judge people for how they behave and not because they're gay or any other variations of sexuality.
I think that reporting on a person's sexual orientation is a bad thing, it's a private matter and exposing someone as gay will only set the bigots off.

User avatar
100%JR
Posts: 1138
Joined: 31 May 2016, 10:47pm
Location: High Green,Sheffield.

Re: Phillip Schofield announcement

Postby 100%JR » 9 Feb 2020, 9:39am

reohn2 wrote:Should people really need labels such GAY,straight,cyclist,motorist,etc?

Is there a particular reason you write GAY in caps on your posts?
Not criticising just interested.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Lynskey R480 build
Boardman CX Comp

We hate "speed" cameras...and mass hysteria..Vive la révolution!!

reohn2
Posts: 37857
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Phillip Schofield announcement

Postby reohn2 » 9 Feb 2020, 10:05am

100%JR wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Should people really need labels such GAY,straight,cyclist,motorist,etc?

Is there a particular reason you write GAY in caps on your posts?
Not criticising just interested.

GAY is an acronym standing for Good As You.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2
Posts: 37857
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Phillip Schofield announcement

Postby reohn2 » 9 Feb 2020, 10:07am

francovendee wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Should people really need labels such GAY,straight,cyclist,motorist,etc?


No we don't and as soon as we stop making such a big thing of peoples sexuality the better.
What a person is or does regarding their sexuality doesn't matter a jot. Judge people for how they behave and not because they're gay or any other variations of sexuality.
I think that reporting on a person's sexual orientation is a bad thing, it's a private matter and exposing someone as gay will only set the bigots off.

Agreed,and there's enough bigots and sensationalsts about,the 'news'papers are full of it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 11396
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: Phillip Schofield announcement

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 9 Feb 2020, 10:44am

hi,
Tonight on dancing on ice they are organising a special emotional welcoming et cetera et cetera for Schofield.

I have no doubt at all that ITV will protect him to the hilt, Now he is out with their blessing they will not back down at all on the basis of you should not be criticised at all For being gay or part of another minority diverse group.

Switzerland are voting on making any discrimination to a gay or lesbian group person that is, a criminal act.

Very soon we will be badgered shunned and criticised for being simply normal or straight atheist even.

What people do in private with their lives is their own business.
But I see this as all too much in the way that only the rich and famous or financially well off protected even, are now standing on the soap box.

Schofield might very well regret ever coming out, not because he is gay but because they have all made a big party out of it.

maybe not, he is rich and well protected so he will be okay.
Pity the poor gay person they will still feel safer in the closet.

P.S.I am not au fait with British law against prejudice and discrimination in respect of sexual orientation, so it may well be Switzerland is just coming into line.

Edited , I've changed the word incrimination to discrimination into places, sorry for the bad grammar.
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 9 Feb 2020, 11:14am, edited 1 time in total.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 7377
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Phillip Schofield announcement

Postby Bonefishblues » 9 Feb 2020, 10:53am

See here for a primer.

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/ ... cteristics

Legal regulation produces attitudinal change.