Phillip Schofield announcement

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Phillip Schofield announcement

Post by mercalia »

What do people make of him?

I think a very self centred and self indulgent man. Goodness knows what the poor wife really feels, having the information now out there. She should have left him years ago and found a real relationship?
reohn2

Re: Phillip Schofield announcement

Post by reohn2 »

I know nothing about the man,and I can understand him trying to live a straight life before admitting to himself and his wife and family that he's GAY,I've no problem with that.
That said,what sticks in my craw is him 'announcing to the world' his sexual orientation on day time TV and making a literal show of it
Summit not right there somehow :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
RickH

Post by RickH »

reohn2 wrote:I know nothing about the man,and I can understand him trying to live a straight life before admitting to himself and his wife and family that he's GAY,I've no problem with that.
That said,what sticks in my craw is him 'announcing to the world' his sexual orientation on day time TV and making a literal show of it

Maybe someone - one of the redtop papers? - was going to run a headline. It wouldn't be the first time a celebrity has been outed. If that was the case, perhaps he decided to come out on his own terms.

From the little I've read about it I got the impression that his immediate family & close friends already knew.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

RickH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I know nothing about the man,and I can understand him trying to live a straight life before admitting to himself and his wife and family that he's GAY,I've no problem with that.

Maybe someone - one of the redtop papers? - was going to run a headline. It wouldn't be the first time a celebrity has been outed. If that was the case, perhaps he decided to come out on his own terms.

From the little I've read about it I got the impression that his immediate family & close friends already knew.

Either a red top or publicity seeking “ex”?
My only surprise is he’s left it so long.Does anyone really care?
His wife probably knew but is quite happy to live with the situation/wealth etc as many a wife of “celebrity” husbands have always done.Sometimes money/stature trumps everything.
It will do little but increase his bankability.
Cue “My Journey” book/tv programme etc.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

If Schofield is gay, he's gay and should just get on with it like he claims you are meant to.

I suspect this was a well orchestrated coming out for maximum publicity and future wealth. It's every where now with acres of press coverage.

I consider the show he is on is a channel for the self indulgent; Schofield, Holmes, Morgan.
John
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

I was unaware of who he is until yesterday. I learned he was on children's TV in the 80s, and I did not watch it at the time.

The BBC led some radio news bulletins with the story. That is the calibre of service the compulsory licence fee provides.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Who cares apart from his family.

Just seeking more attention announcing it on TV.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

carpetcleaner wrote:I was unaware of who he is until yesterday. I learned he was on children's TV in the 80s, and I did not watch it at the time.

The BBC led some radio news bulletins with the story. That is the calibre of service the compulsory licence fee provides.

As did all the advert paid for channels and all the press. Please don't mix up your arguments.
John
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

mercalia wrote:What do people make of him?

I think a very self centred and self indulgent man. Goodness knows what the poor wife really feels, having the information now out there. She should have left him years ago and found a real relationship?
Why should his wife have left him? And what is a 'real' relationship?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

"What is a real relationship?". Well it certainly isn't to live a lie!
There have been many stars who have hid their sexual preference, I will not list any of the ones I know about, but sadly when the truth emerges it always causes pain.
I know of at least one professional person ho lived the lie, with wife & children, he also had a string of convictions for "Procuring for immoral purposes in a public place", gents toilets, his convictions ere public knowledge and they brought problems for the family.
He was a solicitor in the lawful sense so he knew full well his situation. I always felt sorry for his wife. MM
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

merseymouth wrote:"What is a real relationship?". Well it certainly isn't to live a lie!
There have been many stars who have hid their sexual preference, I will not list any of the ones I know about, but sadly when the truth emerges it always causes pain.
I know of at least one professional person ho lived the lie, with wife & children, he also had a string of convictions for "Procuring for immoral purposes in a public place", gents toilets, his convictions ere public knowledge and they brought problems for the family.
He was a solicitor in the lawful sense so he knew full well his situation. I always felt sorry for his wife. MM

Hold on a moment! Gay does not mean immoral or criminal. I know you haven't directly stated that but you have juxtaposed those ideas. Schofield might well be a typical celebrity narcissist but we cannot infer or conclude more than that.
John
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

On a scale of 1 to 10, does it really matter

Is it actually going to affect any of us?
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

No OldjohnW, I am not saying being Gay is a crime! What I am saying, especially since homosexuality is no longer considered a crime, people should think about any falsehood in their position. He took far too long to recognize the potential harm he was doing to others, that is surely a selfish gene at work?
He knows how society at large will view his actions and in-actions but he continued to live the lie for far too long.
There have been numerous star marriages along such lines, but that was usually before the law was changed, he has grown up in what we hope is more enlightened times!
The annals are littered with such affairs, but please let us move on in openness, cut out the marketing to promote lifestyles, respect personal choice..
MM
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

merseymouth wrote:"What is a real relationship?". Well it certainly isn't to live a lie!

Rather one sided...

This offence is to do with prostitution and is nothing to do with the sexuality of the individual.

I agree though that anyone guilty of such an offence brings embarrassment and problems to a family, and also that anyone who is claiming to be happily married and picking up prostitutes is "living a lie"

However, linking any of this to particular sexuality is absurd
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

merseymouth wrote:No OldjohnW, I am not saying being Gay is a crime! What I am saying, especially since homosexuality is no longer considered a crime, people should think about any falsehood in their position. He took far too long to recognize the potential harm he was doing to others, that is surely a selfish gene at work?
He knows how society at large will view his actions and in-actions but he continued to live the lie for far too long.
There have been numerous star marriages along such lines, but that was usually before the law was changed, he has grown up in what we hope is more enlightened times!
The annals are littered with such affairs, but please let us move on in openness, cut out the marketing to promote lifestyles, respect personal choice..
MM

I do wonder how much of this is our fault, and the voyeurism that is the modern press.

We do not know anything about this, his relationship with his wife, and what they agreed.

It is the ill-informed conjecture and imposition of one's own bias relevant, it simply fuels a feeding frenzy on something that should be a private matter

In reality, this is no more of a story than announcing a separation.

Effectively it is the same as leaving his wife.

We have none of this fuss when a heterosexual couple split
Last edited by Cunobelin on 8 Feb 2020, 10:11am, edited 1 time in total.