Developers- New Housing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Halla

Developers- New Housing

Post by Halla »

Morning All.

I am sure many people are experiencing building development in their area, this is not about whether development should take place or the alleged lack of housing.

This about the way developers ride rough shod over communities.

I have a development just starting behind my property, the planning process was shoddily handled with bullying, bribery and intimidation being the norm.

A new and supposedly better developer has bought the site but the again they have little concern about the local community, despite being "AWARD WINNING"

Yesterday (Friday) I had a visit from this developer in the mid afternoon, it was about my boundary with them. He took me out to his site an proceeded to detail to me how my boundary was in the wrong place. The timing of the visit ensured that I could not contact my solicitor!!!

There are many issues with the site which I have been fighting for a long time and have engaged local politicians to assist.

This is just one more issue, has anyone here had problems with developers and how are they dealt with.

The community was divided on this and there was no organised group to negotiate better conditions, we therefore have a very dense BARRACKS development in the middle of our village.

It would be very good to hear the experiences of others.

Thanks for reading.

Stressed out as usual!!! :oops: :evil:
djnotts

Re: Developers- New Housing

Post by djnotts »

Oh yes, strikes a chord! A field which can only be accessed across my and a neighbour's land is advertised for sale with planning permission for 4 detached houses. There has been no notification process and letters to Local Authority as to "Why not" are simply unanswered. Lack of transparency the nicest interpretation one can put on the process.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

The monstrosities that have been thrown up willy nilly around where I live, take some believing. Most of them were allegedly supposed to be built under certain strict conditions, about maintaining the infrastructure, and greenery around them. Hardly any of them have done this, as far as I’m concerned. They haven’t bothered looking at things like access, and effect on local road networks. The less said about the percentage that have to be turned over to social housing, the better as well.
peetee

Post by peetee »

The brownfield site behind us has only just been fenced off where it joins our road further up. Development was approved about 3 years ago and everyone in our terrace was instrumental in highlighting a boundary error in the plans that would leave us without access to the rear of our properties. Right now neither us nor the council are aware who are the present owners and developers of the land and we want confirmation that the access and privacy will remain.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

djnotts wrote:Oh yes, strikes a chord! A field which can only be accessed across my and a neighbour's land is advertised for sale with planning permission for 4 detached houses. There has been no notification process and letters to Local Authority as to "Why not" are simply unanswered. Lack of transparency the nicest interpretation one can put on the process.

Were you not consulted when the application was made?
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

bogmyrtle wrote:
djnotts wrote:Oh yes, strikes a chord! A field which can only be accessed across my and a neighbour's land is advertised for sale with planning permission for 4 detached houses. There has been no notification process and letters to Local Authority as to "Why not" are simply unanswered. Lack of transparency the nicest interpretation one can put on the process.

Were you not consulted when the application was made?

No. Despite fact that the land does directly adjoin ours. This is a total disregard of the planning process. One can only wonder why....
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

[
Yesterday (Friday) I had a visit from this developer in the mid afternoon, it was about my boundary with them. He took me out to his site an proceeded to detail to me how my boundary was in the wrong place. The timing of the visit ensured that I could not contact my solicitor!!!]

If your boundary is in the wrong place and you bought the property with the understanding that was the boundary then your case is with the solicitor who helped you buy it. It should have been their job to point out the vendor was selling land which wasn’t theirs. It should also have been their job to negotiate a lower price because of it.
That happened when I bought my plot and I happily got a lump of land no one owned and it’s mine now. :)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Halla

Post by Halla »

The deeds for my property and that of my neighbour show a clear boundary as a ditch which has not altered since my place was built in 1963. They are trying to put the new boundary fence up to 1M inside my boundary!!

Apparently the surveyor is using Ordinance Survey Data to determine my and the other 40 existing house boundaries. The site is an old football field, which is made up of several pieces of land previously used for farming.

I have asked for a meeting with the surveyor to discuss and measure our plot.

I have also learnt other stuff about this lot, and the local authority with responsibility for drainage (another major problem), they are all mates and have worked together at a consultancy firm. Where is the impartiality at the local authority if their mates are involved.

The developer is pretending to be better than the likes of Barrett and Wimpey et al, so why are they behaving like they are? Because they can as my wife will say!!! :lol:

So! Are people all over this once great country of ours being treated as badly by this high handed bunch of money hungry greedy gits.

Greed is the creed of our time: :oops: :oops:
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

You need a surveyor accepted as an expert witness to fight the case in court. Cost about a grand I guess going by what I paid some years ago.
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

Halla wrote:Morning All.

I am sure many people are experiencing building development in their area, this is not about whether development should take place or the alleged lack of housing.

This about the way developers ride rough shod over communities.

I have a development just starting behind my property, the planning process was shoddily handled with bullying, bribery and intimidation being the norm.

A new and supposedly better developer has bought the site but the again they have little concern about the local community, despite being "AWARD WINNING"

Yesterday (Friday) I had a visit from this developer in the mid afternoon, it was about my boundary with them. He took me out to his site an proceeded to detail to me how my boundary was in the wrong place. The timing of the visit ensured that I could not contact my solicitor!!!

There are many issues with the site which I have been fighting for a long time and have engaged local politicians to assist.

This is just one more issue, has anyone here had problems with developers and how are they dealt with.

The community was divided on this and there was no organised group to negotiate better conditions, we therefore have a very dense BARRACKS development in the middle of our village.

It would be very good to hear the experiences of others.

Thanks for reading.

Stressed out as usual!!! :oops: :evil:

May I suggest you join the Campaign to Protect Rural England? It has a policy of extolling the advantages of building new homes on brownfield sites vacated by industry in cities and large towns, so leaving the countryside and villages free of further development.

Most people do not want to buy homes in such places, and I suspect that includes most CPRE members, and perhaps that is why developers want and councils agree to new housing in more pleasant locations such as in your village.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Halla wrote:The deeds for my property and that of my neighbour show a clear boundary as a ditch which has not altered since my place was built in 1963. They are trying to put the new boundary fence up to 1M inside my boundary!!

Apparently the surveyor is using Ordinance Survey Data to determine my and the other 40 existing house boundaries. The site is an old football field, which is made up of several pieces of land previously used for farming.

I have asked for a meeting with the surveyor to discuss and measure our plot.

I have also learnt other stuff about this lot, and the local authority with responsibility for drainage (another major problem), they are all mates and have worked together at a consultancy firm. Where is the impartiality at the local authority if their mates are involved.

The developer is pretending to be better than the likes of Barrett and Wimpey et al, so why are they behaving like they are? Because they can as my wife will say!!! :lol:

So! Are people all over this once great country of ours being treated as badly by this high handed bunch of money hungry greedy gits.

Greed is the creed of our time: :oops: :oops:

If sold in 63 I’d expect the deeds to be accurate. You just need to be able to weild a tape measure and have the deeds / conveyance details in the other hand. I’d say you don’t need a surveyor to do that.
Your plot measurements should be a lot more accurate down to the nearest yard. The developers measurements if taken from OS maps could be to the nearest chain.
As I said earlier it was up to you as the purchaser to know what you bought. If this developer proves you wrong about your boundary then your case for compensation is with the solicitor who handled the purchase.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

If a slope involved then more complicated than wielding a tape measure!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Investigate adverse possession. Basically if the land was occupied for twelve years or more, not registered or the 12 years occupation was before it was registered and no one objected then it's yours even if the developers own it in theory. If you haven't lived in the house for that length of time you'd need to get a statutory declaration from previous occupant(s) regarding how long it's been part of the garden.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

We've not had any personal issues with developers, and our house here (in UK) isn't going to be affected, seeing as its surrounded on all sides by either roadway or other houses.

But the town as a whole certainly does have a development problem. At least two friends of ours, whose gardens used to back onto woodland and countryside, are now cursed with noisy and oppressive building work going on. It's part of our local development plan (such as it is) which appears to want to double the population of our town. With no infrastructure planned to support it! The development has been built, is being built, or is going to be built (subject to planning permission which will almost certainly be granted) on greenfield areas surrounding the town.

The increased population has, of course, already led to a massive hike in motor traffic through the town. The main roads in the town centre are now congested - snarled up at times - pretty much all day. And it's going to get worse. That never used to be the case. Cycling through the town is no longer pleasant. And don't ask me about the apologies for local cycling "infarcestructure"!

And the town centre has been ripped apart - the developers wanting to build yet more car parking plus an 11-storey office or residential building which is totally out of character with the town as it stands. Many objections to this plan. Unfortunately our newly-elected (tory) MP - a hard-right carpetbagger transplanted from near Southampton - is a shareholder in the development company. I think that's a conflict of interest, but don't ask me to sort her out! And in addition, the District Council ('Mid Sussex' - which covers three towns: Burgess Hill, Haywards Heath and East Grinstead, and is Tory-controlled) seems to want to unfavourably treat our town, Burgess Hill, out of the three, for having the effrontery to unseat almost all the Conservative Town councillors (as opposed to District) last May, in favour of a majority of LibDems, Greens, and an Independent. At least that's what some activists are claiming!

Plenty of backbiting between Town and District, at any rate. Town, of course, wants to preserve the amenity of Burgess Hill. But District and County wield the power - with the Sec. of State behind them!

Enough ranting...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Ah! Pete lives in 'the promised land' :lol:

News for you Pete, its going on everywhere....! Where did all these extra folk come from...

1. We are not dying so quickly.

2. There is substantial immigration and immigrants are generally young and have more children.

The population is increasing. 70 million plus by 2030... They need places to live and Burgess Hill has its attractions! :D The benefits for you more exotic takeaways...

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 8 Feb 2020, 8:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......