Developers- New Housing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
djnotts

Re: Developers- New Housing

Postby djnotts » 9 Feb 2020, 1:57pm

Listed not much of a protection, demolish and pay the fine.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 9 Feb 2020, 5:30pm

djnotts wrote:Listed not much of a protection, demolish and pay the fine.

The penalty is up to two years imprisonment and an unlimited fine. The guidelines say ". In determining the fine a judge must have regard to any financial benefit which has accrued or appears likely to accrue to the wrongdoer so as to deny them any benefits ".

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 9 Feb 2020, 5:43pm

Near me a previously protected wildlife haven is being used to build a mere eight luxury homes. Will do nothing to help local housing needs bit will ruin a lovely woodland walk teeming with wildlife.

Unfortunately the council is located some 55 miles away. The local town council is merely a parish council and has no planning role apart from the ability to express a view which is immediately ignored.
John

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 9 Feb 2020, 6:00pm

pete75 wrote:

The penalty is up to two years imprisonment and an unlimited fine. The guidelines say ". In determining the fine a judge must have regard to any financial benefit which has accrued or appears likely to accrue to the wrongdoer so as to deny them any benefits ".

So MAYBE things have improved. Some years ago a listed coaching house pub nr Stockport was demolished between Saturday evening and Monday morning and the small fine paid.

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 9 Feb 2020, 6:01pm

djnotts wrote:
pete75 wrote:

So MAYBE things have improved. Some years ago a listed coaching house pub nr Stockport was demolished between Saturday evening and Monday morning and the small fine paid.

Amazing now many listed buildings near me catch fire and burn down.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 9 Feb 2020, 6:32pm

Having lived in and now near Bicester since 1991 I've seen the impact of development.

I think that it has been very positive. We have a thriving town centre with lots of amenities, and loads of new housing, plenty of jobs and industry coming in, amongst much else.

Reading the thread and wondering why that is the case, I reckon there's a few reasons. There's a local plan. A proper one. Politicians seem on top of things and largely in agreement. The developers are being held to their Section 106 commitments. Both brown and green field sites have been used, but relatively little true countryside has been eaten up.

It is possible, clearly.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 9 Feb 2020, 7:14pm

djnotts wrote:
pete75 wrote:

How many years ago and what were the circumstances?

Hobbs1951

Postby Hobbs1951 » 10 Feb 2020, 8:35am

pete75 wrote:
Hobbs1951 wrote:A developer sits on our local planning committee in Lincolnshire and my village in Sussex all the old, nice larger houses are being sold and demolished allowing numerous properties to be built in what was their gardens.

A lovely, architecturally valuable Arts and Crafts style house demolished to make way for an office style care home.

John.

Why on earth wasn't it listed?

Many lovely houses on this part of the Sussex coast have been demolished...one demolished and replaced by an awful luxury apartment block for Londoners.

John.

ambodach

Postby ambodach » 10 Feb 2020, 2:12pm

Littlemill Distillery was a listed building but due to a variety of reasons stopped production. When it was disused it accidentally caught fire during the night and had to be demolished. The site is now covered with houses.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 10 Feb 2020, 10:00pm

Bonefishblues wrote:Having lived in and now near Bicester since 1991 I've seen the impact of development.

I think that it has been very positive. We have a thriving town centre with lots of amenities, and loads of new housing, plenty of jobs and industry coming in, amongst much else.

Reading the thread and wondering why that is the case, I reckon there's a few reasons. There's a local plan. A proper one. Politicians seem on top of things and largely in agreement. The developers are being held to their Section 106 commitments. Both brown and green field sites have been used, but relatively little true countryside has been eaten up.

It is possible, clearly.
Been through Bicester many many times, both driving and cycling.

It's very different there to here, and no doubt very different to many places.
Bicester is in open country. Flat, and well connected to major trunk roads, plus it has a good ring-road and not far off the motorway network.
Mick F. Cornwall

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 10 Feb 2020, 10:39pm

And two railway lines, thus the name: Bi-chester :wink:
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son..
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on 49" fixed
We love safety cameras, we love life "1330"

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 11 Feb 2020, 7:45am

Mick F wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Having lived in and now near Bicester since 1991 I've seen the impact of development.

It is possible, clearly.

Bicester is in open country. Flat, and well connected to major trunk roads, plus it has a good ring-road and not far off the motorway network.

Agree. There's many towns like this that have made a total pigs ear of development, mind, which is the point I was making.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 11 Feb 2020, 7:49am

Cyril Haearn wrote:And two railway lines, thus the name: Bi-chester :wink:

And soon East-West will come through, too, utilising the new Oxford-Bicester line in the first part.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 11 Feb 2020, 10:41am

Mick F wrote:

It is possible, clearly.

And a large TKMAXX like shopping centre.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 11 Feb 2020, 12:11pm

pete75 wrote:
Mick F wrote:

It is possible, clearly.

And a large TKMAXX like shopping centre.

Which, interestingly, hasn't ripped the heart out of the town.