Developers- New Housing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Re: Developers- New Housing

Postby al_yrpal » 11 Feb 2020, 12:42pm

Having lived in South Oxfordshire or South Potholeshire as it is known locally for 40 years, we regarded the Bicester area as a golden nugget in the 'promised land'. The reason why it is so well endowed is that Oxfordshire is run by a wealthy cabal of Councillors from that area, with Cameron living in Witney, and Bercow the local MP.. Other areas of the County are constantly having to watch their mingey services being severely cut. Libraries scrapped, bus services cut, and Health Services and social care withdrawn. Now Chinese visitors are diminishing Bicester Shopping Village will be severely hit. Stand by for subsidies.

Its taken my move to Devon to realise how poor local government and public services in Oxfordshire actually were...chalk and cheese.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

pete75

Postby pete75 » 11 Feb 2020, 12:48pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Mick F wrote:Been through Bicester many many times, both driving and cycling.

It's very different there to here, and no doubt very different to many places.
Bicester is in open country. Flat, and well connected to major trunk roads, plus it has a good ring-road and not far off the motorway network.

And a large TKMAXX like shopping centre.

Which, interestingly, hasn't ripped the heart out of the town.

Probably it's not competing with the sort of shops you get in town centres.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 11 Feb 2020, 3:29pm

pete75 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
pete75 wrote:
And a large TKMAXX like shopping centre.

Which, interestingly, hasn't ripped the heart out of the town.

It's not just the bicester village development, there's several other out of town/edge of town centres, but because there's been significant investment in the centre, it's still very busy, without empty units, and lower than usual count of bookies (2) and charity shops, which are often the sign of town centre malaise.

Local politicians seem to have done a decent job, as I said.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 11 Feb 2020, 5:27pm

Charity shops, malaise? I love them!
Whatabout Abingdon?
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "597"

pete75

Postby pete75 » 11 Feb 2020, 6:13pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Which, interestingly, hasn't ripped the heart out of the town.

It's not just the bicester village development, there's several other out of town/edge of town centres, but because there's been significant investment in the centre, it's still very busy, without empty units, and lower than usual count of bookies (2) and charity shops, which are often the sign of town centre malaise.

Yes it would appear so and apparently done by neglecting the rest of the county . Read Al's post above.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 11 Feb 2020, 6:26pm

The only thing provided by Oxfordshire County Council that we had in our growing village of 5000 souls was our well attended Library. Guess what? The muppets at OCC tried to close it. Unfortunately for them they chose the wrong village. We had a campaign and contrasted our little library with the golden nugget of Eynsham in Camerons constituency that had absolutely everything handed to them on a plate. We were on BBC and ITV. They collapsed from our onslaught. Oxfordshire crap council is a total disgrace. So is the NHS in Oxfordshire. Devon could show them how to run public services properly.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 11 Feb 2020, 7:10pm

pete75 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Yes it would appear so and apparently done by neglecting the rest of the county . Read Al's post above.

I did. He's got a view, don't think I agree in this local area. The local MP has never been one of that coterie afaik. (Tony Baldry for donkeys, and now Victoria Prentis). I'm talking local politicians, as I said above, not MPs.

It might be possible that, building on some advantages like transport links, someone's done a good job. The Local Plan is a good one, well constructed, and has x-Party support, for instance.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 11 Feb 2020, 7:39pm

Well, Bicester is in the 'Promised Land'. Our village had an excellent local plan overseen by a very well organised Parish Council. Every one of the 3 Developers was effortlessly screwed for as much as could be reasonably extracted. Result...new Sports Field, a Skate Park and a Pavilion. 165 new houses in a village of 3500. The attached village of 1000 only got infill properties.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 11 Feb 2020, 7:48pm

al_yrpal wrote:Well, Bicester is in the 'Promised Land'. Our village had an excellent local plan overseen by a very well organised Parish Council. Every one of the 3 Developers was effortlessly screwed for as much as could be reasonably extracted. Result...new Sports Field, a Skate Park and a Pavilion. 165 new houses in a village of 3500. The attached village of 1000 only got infill properties.

No it's not, don't be daft, but I'm just trying to put a counterpoint to illustrate that these all-powerful, rapacious developers are capable of being tamed, given the will.

A Parish Council hasn't got the power though, I acknowledge that (as a Parish Councillor)

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 11 Feb 2020, 8:18pm

Oh, and I forgot the £50 grand too, a very effective Parish Council. You need it in South Potholeshire... The facilities compared to North Oxfordshire villages were like chalk and cheese. I know that I cycled all over North Oxfordshire and made a big chart of the discrepancies. That chart and threats of zero cooperation and stonewall opposition was used to extract concessions, money and facilities from the developers. Gladman and greedy Lord Phillimore were seen off too.

Al

carpetcleaner

Postby carpetcleaner » 11 Feb 2020, 8:58pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Well, Bicester is in the 'Promised Land'. Our village had an excellent local plan overseen by a very well organised Parish Council. Every one of the 3 Developers was effortlessly screwed for as much as could be reasonably extracted. Result...new Sports Field, a Skate Park and a Pavilion. 165 new houses in a village of 3500. The attached village of 1000 only got infill properties.

No it's not, don't be daft, but I'm just trying to put a counterpoint to illustrate that these all-powerful, rapacious developers are capable of being tamed, given the will.

A Parish Council hasn't got the power though, I acknowledge that (as a Parish Councillor)

If the developers are 'rapacious' then why don't other people enter the market and easily undercut them? That'd soon put greedy developers out of business. We are all free to form housing development companies.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 11 Feb 2020, 9:14pm

carpetcleaner wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

If the developers are 'rapacious' then why don't other people enter the market and easily undercut them? That'd soon put greedy developers out of business. We are all free to form housing development companies.

Not sure you entirely got my drift :)

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 11 Feb 2020, 10:20pm

The rapacious ones are those who seek and get planning permission like Gladman Land. They identify places where communities are obliged to find sites for dwellings to meet government targets. These companies are staffed by surveyors planners and lawyers who are very experienced in seeking planning permissions. They work in conjunction with the landowner. They then pass that planning permission onto the developer that offers the best deal. At no stage is the local community involved. You then end up with houses packed in with inadequate roads, very little parking and no amenities.

Thats why you get crap housing estates and local communities needs trampled on.

Al

Halla

Postby Halla » 12 Feb 2020, 9:07am

Just an update on the land grab:

I started this last week and I am not surprised by the responses.

It is clear from the information that I have, the developer is definitely trying a "land grab". The boundary is 170feet long and is not uniformly straight, and has an ancient ditch on their side.

I have engaged a surveyor at great cost as the site is not easy to measure with a tape.

It is unlikely that the developer would accept my own findings anyway.

At the point where they are trying to grab up to 3 metres of my land, it is planned to build a house, but they seem to have found there is not room to build it legally. The house would end up with a 15 foot back garden, they are trying to achieve 22 foot as on the original plan, they stated to me that their back gardens are usually 30 feet long.

It just goes to show how vigilant you have to be as people will steal anything from you these days, just to make a fast buck.

If you have any type of development near your, whether it is a small extension by a neighbour or a housing estate, be very vigilant.

I used to trust some people, I now trust no one!!!!

Thanks for the responses.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 12 Feb 2020, 10:29am

carpetcleaner wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

Yeah just like we're all free to dine at the Ritz.
You don't appear to have any idea of the amount of capital required to acquire land, develop a site and then get returns in dribs and drabs as properties are sold. Nor do you understand the word rapacious - it means greedy. All businesses are greedy where profit is concerned. Why do you think that may make it easy to undercut them?