National Health Service and Your Data

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

National Health Service and Your Data

Postby mercalia » 9 Feb 2020, 11:55am

A worrying article from the Guardian that

a) if you dont opt out from data being shared it isnt being properly anonymised
b)Trump is keen to get hold of all this NHS data for US companies and was part of the redacted text that Corbyn waved

Washington has already made clear it wants unrestricted access to Britain’s 55 million health records – estimated to have a total value of £10bn a year – as part of any post-Brexit trade agreement. Leaked details of meetings between US and UK trade officials late last year showed that the acquisition of as much UK medical data as possible is a top priority for the US drugs industry.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/feb/08/fears-over-sale-anonymous-nhs-patient-data

Make Your Choice
https://www.nhs.uk/your-nhs-data-matters/manage-your-choice/
Last edited by mercalia on 9 Feb 2020, 12:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Sales

Re: National Health Service and Your Data

Postby Mike Sales » 9 Feb 2020, 12:01pm

I have just read that (in the Observer, to be picky).
This was one bit which struck me.

Asked if it was right to say that the patient data was anonymous, as claimed, Professor Eerke Boiten, director of the Cyber Technology Institute at De Montfort University in Leicester, said: “The answer is no, it is not anonymous.
“If it is rich medical data about individuals then the richer that data is, the easier it is for people who are experts to reconstruct it and re-identify individuals.”
Boiten believes more thought should be given to controlling and limiting the sale of data to prevent it potentially being sold on by the initial purchaser to companies with huge information stores and global reach. “If Google, for instance, were to use this data and end up finding a cure for cancer, and then sold the cure back to the NHS for huge sums of money, then I think we could say we had missed a trick,” he said.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 9 Feb 2020, 12:19pm

What is rich, I read some where that the yanks want us to pay more for nhs US drugs as part of the trade deal. which is version of the last bit of the quote?

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 9 Feb 2020, 6:29pm

mercalia wrote:What is rich, I read some where that the yanks want us to pay more for nhs US drugs as part of the trade deal. which is version of the last bit of the quote?