Splash!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Splash!

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:My point was even if 'investing' find something of quality that you like, too - there's plenty around, after all!

Yes that could work but my point was that the primary concern of investment is the best return*,which is the highest quality.
Whereas art's quality cannot be measured,only preferred by the individual because of it's uniqueness

*'best return' can mean many things
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
millimole

Post by millimole »

Bonefishblues wrote:My point was even if 'investing' find something of quality that you like, too - there's plenty around, after all!

I believe that canny investors will build up a relationship with art schools and purchase works at graduation art shows.
While works of art at such events are 'inexpensive' in art world terms they are (in my opinion) unaffordable for the 'man in the street' and priced at unrealistic levels.
My impression is that the work sold at graduation shows is priced at levels reflecting the general art market, not priced to sell. I suspect universities encourage chancers not business minds.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Inexpensive original art is usually too expensive for the man in the street.

Materials £10
Frame £15
Days labour £100

Total £125

Most people wont pay that for an unknown artist.

Thats why you see numbered prints and just prints...

I have two exhibitions coming up thats why I am painting stuff like this.. one an hour :D

20200215_191616.jpg

And, all my stuff I dont like :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Nice pics Al.
It doesn't look like your are splashing it on. :wink:
PH

Post by PH »

al_yrpal wrote:Inexpensive original art is usually too expensive for the man in the street.

Materials £10
Frame £15
Days labour £100

Total £125

Most people wont pay that for an unknown artist.

Al

I've been pondering this and although I haven't come up with an alternative reason, I don't think it is that it's too expensive. I know plenty of people who spend £100's, in some cases many £1,000's, on home decor for aesthetic reasons yet have never bought any original art.
Won't pay yes, but not because of the price, I don't think they'd buy at any price, I don't think they perceive any value in it.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

I suppose it depends on how much dosh one has.
As a (not-so) poor pensioner, I tend to buy what I like, rather than follow trends and buy for either fashion or for-the-sake-of-it reasons.
Thankfully, I've got three nice original paintings that I paid no more than $50 each for and have some limited edition prints I've paid over £300 for.

Hopefully, if was a rich billionaire I would do the same and consider spending a couple of million on something I appreciated for my sake, not art's sake.