Ciara

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ratherbeintobago
Posts: 360
Joined: 5 Dec 2010, 6:31pm

Ciara

Postby ratherbeintobago » 10 Feb 2020, 3:17pm

Everyone enjoying the weather?

User avatar
Pastychomper
Posts: 341
Joined: 14 Nov 2017, 11:14am
Location: Caithness

Re: Ciara

Postby Pastychomper » 10 Feb 2020, 4:12pm

Yep, nice tailwind into w*rk this morning. The sky's mostly clear at the moment too.
Mind you, the cat told me there was some heavy rain last night.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot

reohn2
Posts: 37370
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Ciara

Postby reohn2 » 10 Feb 2020, 4:28pm

Pastychomper wrote:Yep, nice tailwind into w*rk this morning. The sky's mostly clear at the moment too.
Mind you, the cat told me there was some heavy rain last night.

Have you got home yet :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Marcus Aurelius
Posts: 742
Joined: 1 Feb 2018, 10:20am

Re: Ciara

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 10 Feb 2020, 4:48pm

I was at the British Cycling annual awards ceremony on Saturday night, I had to try and get home to Southampton from Manchester, by train, yesterday. That was sooooo much fun. It’s calmed down a bit today.

mercalia
Posts: 12257
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Ciara

Postby mercalia » 10 Feb 2020, 4:51pm

Are they going to call one of these storms Boris? if not why not?

The various tits are struggling to get to my bird feeders 3 stories up. rather funny seeing their little wings making no headway against the wind. The have my respect for trying

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9933
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Ciara

Postby Cunobelin » 10 Feb 2020, 4:59pm

Pastychomper wrote:Yep, nice tailwind into w*rk this morning. The sky's mostly clear at the moment too.
Mind you, the cat told me there was some heavy rain last night.



Apparently airlines have been vying for speed records and journey records due to tailwinds

British Airways now hole the Transatlantic record due to Ciara

ratherbeintobago
Posts: 360
Joined: 5 Dec 2010, 6:31pm

Re: Ciara

Postby ratherbeintobago » 10 Feb 2020, 5:34pm

I’m not sure what ‘highest subsonic speed record’ actually means.

Decided the bike wasn’t such a great idea today.

reohn2
Posts: 37370
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Ciara

Postby reohn2 » 10 Feb 2020, 6:06pm

ratherbeintobago wrote:I’m not sure what ‘highest subsonic speed record’ actually means.

Juussstttt below supersonic I should think.

Decided the bike wasn’t such a great idea today.

A wise decision IMO
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Mike Sales
Posts: 4131
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Ciara

Postby Mike Sales » 10 Feb 2020, 6:22pm

ratherbeintobago wrote:I’m not sure what ‘highest subsonic speed record’ actually means.


My guess is that is the fastest record set by an aeroplane which is not capable of supersonic speed.

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 8165
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: Ciara

Postby al_yrpal » 10 Feb 2020, 6:25pm

Rode over to the Farmers Supply Store today to order some fence posts. Came back at 57mph with the following wind! :D

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

rmurphy195
Posts: 1510
Joined: 20 May 2011, 11:23am
Location: South Birmingham

Re: Ciara

Postby rmurphy195 » 10 Feb 2020, 7:18pm

mercalia wrote:Are they going to call one of these storms Boris? if not why not?

The various tits are struggling to get to my bird feeders 3 stories up. rather funny seeing their little wings making no headway against the wind. The have my respect for trying


Perhaps when the letter B comes round again, though there have been half-a-dozen "Hurricane Boris" (Boris', or Borrises?)
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

ratherbeintobago
Posts: 360
Joined: 5 Dec 2010, 6:31pm

Re: Ciara

Postby ratherbeintobago » 10 Feb 2020, 7:31pm

rmurphy195 wrote:
mercalia wrote:Are they going to call one of these storms Boris? if not why not?

The various tits are struggling to get to my bird feeders 3 stories up. rather funny seeing their little wings making no headway against the wind. The have my respect for trying


Perhaps when the letter B comes round again, though there have been half-a-dozen "Hurricane Boris" (Boris', or Borrises?)


No plans for a storm Boris. Naming scheme here

Mike Sales
Posts: 4131
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Ciara

Postby Mike Sales » 10 Feb 2020, 7:34pm

ratherbeintobago wrote:No plans for a storm Boris. Naming scheme here


"D" is next. Would Storm Dominic be appropriate? Or Storm Donald?

ratherbeintobago
Posts: 360
Joined: 5 Dec 2010, 6:31pm

Re: Ciara

Postby ratherbeintobago » 10 Feb 2020, 9:00pm

Mike Sales wrote:
ratherbeintobago wrote:No plans for a storm Boris. Naming scheme here


"D" is next. Would Storm Dominic be appropriate? Or Storm Donald?


It’s Dennis, apparently.

Mike Sales
Posts: 4131
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Ciara

Postby Mike Sales » 10 Feb 2020, 9:09pm

ratherbeintobago wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
ratherbeintobago wrote:No plans for a storm Boris. Naming scheme here


"D" is next. Would Storm Dominic be appropriate? Or Storm Donald?


It’s Dennis, apparently.


I should think Cummings or Trump would be flattered to have a destructive force of nature named after them.