Ciara

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PDQ Mobile
Posts: 3342
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: Ciara

Postby PDQ Mobile » 10 Feb 2020, 9:43pm

Mike Sales wrote:
ratherbeintobago wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
"D" is next. Would Storm Dominic be appropriate? Or Storm Donald?


It’s Dennis, apparently.


I should think Cummings or Trump would be flattered to have a destructive force of nature named after them.


Let's call it Dick then?

Tangled Metal
Posts: 6280
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: Ciara

Postby Tangled Metal » 10 Feb 2020, 10:26pm

Wind is picking up again here. It's wailing like a banshee at times. Took the dog out and the wind pinned its ears and fur right back. Starting to push me around. What sort of speed would do that?

Not liking this storm.

User avatar
RickH
Posts: 4725
Joined: 5 Mar 2012, 6:39pm
Location: Horwich, Lancs.

Re: Ciara

Postby RickH » 11 Feb 2020, 12:21pm

ratherbeintobago wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
ratherbeintobago wrote:No plans for a storm Boris. Naming scheme here


"D" is next. Would Storm Dominic be appropriate? Or Storm Donald?


It’s Dennis, apparently.

And he should be visiting us on Saturday, judging by the yellow wind warning for then that has been issued by the Met Office this morning.

Storm Dennis will bring very strong winds and potential for disruption to many parts of England and Wales on Saturday. (link)

ratherbeintobago
Posts: 360
Joined: 5 Dec 2010, 6:31pm

Re: Ciara

Postby ratherbeintobago » 11 Feb 2020, 12:30pm

Oh good.

LollyKat
Posts: 2919
Joined: 28 May 2011, 11:25pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Ciara

Postby LollyKat » 11 Feb 2020, 12:39pm

ratherbeintobago wrote:I’m not sure what ‘highest subsonic speed record’ actually means.

"Despite travelling faster than the speed of sound the plane would not have broken the sonic barrier as it was helped along by fast-moving air."
BBC News

ratherbeintobago
Posts: 360
Joined: 5 Dec 2010, 6:31pm

Re: Ciara

Postby ratherbeintobago » 13 Feb 2020, 2:34pm

Cold and bright here.

Storm Dennis at the weekend, then...

peetee
Posts: 1648
Joined: 4 May 2010, 10:20pm
Location: Cornwall

Re: Ciara

Postby peetee » 13 Feb 2020, 4:23pm

Absolutely torrential here last night about 3am. I know because in the midst of it my car alarm went off, something it’s not done before. I think it was the wind buffeting it enough to wobble the air freshener and trigger the movement sensor. :lol:
It was parked about 20 metres from the window and under a streetlight but the visibility in the rain was so poor that it could have been anyone’s car!
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

gbnz
Posts: 1662
Joined: 13 Sep 2008, 10:38am

Re: Ciara

Postby gbnz » 15 Feb 2020, 9:38am

ratherbeintobago wrote:Cold and bright here.

Storm Dennis at the weekend, then...


Bit of an anti climax!

Storm Dennis; a few clouds in the sky, one or two puddles on the tarmac, slightly chilly, wind so strong that even the litter someone dropped outside the house yesterday, hasn't moved yet. Why do the MET office persist in predicting these non existent events? To guarantee their survival?

Oldjohnw
Posts: 2772
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Ciara

Postby Oldjohnw » 15 Feb 2020, 9:46am

gbnz wrote:
ratherbeintobago wrote:Cold and bright here.

Storm Dennis at the weekend, then...


Bit of an anti climax!

Storm Dennis; a few clouds in the sky, one or two puddles on the tarmac, slightly chilly, wind so strong that even the litter someone dropped outside the house yesterday, hasn't moved yet. Why do the MET office persist in predicting these non existent events? To guarantee their survival?


Depends where you live. It isn't non existent in Northumberland and the Borders. Or tell that to the people of Hebdon Bridge. Or Hawick. Or Haydon Bridge. Or Carlisle.
John

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9933
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Ciara

Postby Cunobelin » 15 Feb 2020, 11:37am

ratherbeintobago wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
ratherbeintobago wrote:No plans for a storm Boris. Naming scheme here


"D" is next. Would Storm Dominic be appropriate? Or Storm Donald?


It’s Dennis, apparently.



As there are weather warnings, and chances of flooding and wind damage does this make it Dennis......... The Menace?

ratherbeintobago
Posts: 360
Joined: 5 Dec 2010, 6:31pm

Re: Ciara

Postby ratherbeintobago » 15 Feb 2020, 11:38am

Windy and intermittently pelting it down here.

gbnz
Posts: 1662
Joined: 13 Sep 2008, 10:38am

Re: Ciara

Postby gbnz » 15 Feb 2020, 1:58pm

Oldjohnw wrote:
Depends where you live. It isn't non existent in Northumberland and the Borders. Or tell that to the people of Hebdon Bridge. Or Hawick. Or Haydon Bridge. Or Carlisle.


Hmm.... can't say I noticed a "storm" on my 5 mile run in mid Northumberland (Alnwick) this morning. And though there's now an odd shower and a bit of a breeze, on returning from the gym 50 minutes ago, it was dry, reasonably warm and not too bad. And the rugby match is kicking off across the road in 5 minutes.

Oldjohnw
Posts: 2772
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Ciara

Postby Oldjohnw » 15 Feb 2020, 2:03pm

The recent floods and storm damage were well publicised. Apparently £200m worth of damage. I imagine the victims would have a view about your description on "non-existent events".
John

gbnz
Posts: 1662
Joined: 13 Sep 2008, 10:38am

Re: Ciara

Postby gbnz » 15 Feb 2020, 2:54pm

Oldjohnw wrote:The recent floods and storm damage were well publicised. Apparently £200m worth of damage. I imagine the victims would have a view about your description on "non-existent events".


Perhaps you may wish to read my post more carefully, which I opened by specifically referring to "Bit of an anti climax!........Storm Dennis".

You're clearly becoming a bit confused as the £200m worth of damage you've referred to, is in reference to Storm Ciara.

Storm Ciara differs from Storm Dennis, as they are different events :wink:

ambodach
Posts: 895
Joined: 15 Mar 2011, 6:45pm

Re: Ciara

Postby ambodach » 15 Feb 2020, 3:05pm

Storm Dennis is not due where I live until Sunday. Went out this afternoon for a short walk just to get outside for a bit and the wind nearly had me off my feet a couple of times.