Ciara

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PDQ Mobile

Re: Ciara

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mike Sales wrote:
ratherbeintobago wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
"D" is next. Would Storm Dominic be appropriate? Or Storm Donald?

It’s Dennis, apparently.

I should think Cummings or Trump would be flattered to have a destructive force of nature named after them.

Let's call it Dick then?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Wind is picking up again here. It's wailing like a banshee at times. Took the dog out and the wind pinned its ears and fur right back. Starting to push me around. What sort of speed would do that?

Not liking this storm.
RickH

Post by RickH »

ratherbeintobago wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
ratherbeintobago wrote:No plans for a storm Boris. Naming scheme here

It’s Dennis, apparently.

And he should be visiting us on Saturday, judging by the yellow wind warning for then that has been issued by the Met Office this morning.

Storm Dennis will bring very strong winds and potential for disruption to many parts of England and Wales on Saturday. (link)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Oh good.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

ratherbeintobago wrote:I’m not sure what ‘highest subsonic speed record’ actually means.

"Despite travelling faster than the speed of sound the plane would not have broken the sonic barrier as it was helped along by fast-moving air."
BBC News
ratherbeintobago

Cold and bright here.

Storm Dennis at the weekend, then...
peetee

Post by peetee »

Absolutely torrential here last night about 3am. I know because in the midst of it my car alarm went off, something it’s not done before. I think it was the wind buffeting it enough to wobble the air freshener and trigger the movement sensor. :lol:
It was parked about 20 metres from the window and under a streetlight but the visibility in the rain was so poor that it could have been anyone’s car!
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

ratherbeintobago wrote:Cold and bright here.

Bit of an anti climax!

Storm Dennis; a few clouds in the sky, one or two puddles on the tarmac, slightly chilly, wind so strong that even the litter someone dropped outside the house yesterday, hasn't moved yet. Why do the MET office persist in predicting these non existent events? To guarantee their survival?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

gbnz wrote:
ratherbeintobago wrote:Cold and bright here.

Bit of an anti climax!

Storm Dennis; a few clouds in the sky, one or two puddles on the tarmac, slightly chilly, wind so strong that even the litter someone dropped outside the house yesterday, hasn't moved yet. Why do the MET office persist in predicting these non existent events? To guarantee their survival?

Depends where you live. It isn't non existent in Northumberland and the Borders. Or tell that to the people of Hebdon Bridge. Or Hawick. Or Haydon Bridge. Or Carlisle.
John
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

ratherbeintobago wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
ratherbeintobago wrote:No plans for a storm Boris. Naming scheme here

It’s Dennis, apparently.

As there are weather warnings, and chances of flooding and wind damage does this make it Dennis......... The Menace?
ratherbeintobago

Windy and intermittently pelting it down here.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Depends where you live. It isn't non existent in Northumberland and the Borders. Or tell that to the people of Hebdon Bridge. Or Hawick. Or Haydon Bridge. Or Carlisle.

Hmm.... can't say I noticed a "storm" on my 5 mile run in mid Northumberland (Alnwick) this morning. And though there's now an odd shower and a bit of a breeze, on returning from the gym 50 minutes ago, it was dry, reasonably warm and not too bad. And the rugby match is kicking off across the road in 5 minutes.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The recent floods and storm damage were well publicised. Apparently £200m worth of damage. I imagine the victims would have a view about your description on "non-existent events".
John
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Oldjohnw wrote:The recent floods and storm damage were well publicised. Apparently £200m worth of damage. I imagine the victims would have a view about your description on "non-existent events".

Perhaps you may wish to read my post more carefully, which I opened by specifically referring to "Bit of an anti climax!........Storm Dennis".

You're clearly becoming a bit confused as the £200m worth of damage you've referred to, is in reference to Storm Ciara.

Storm Ciara differs from Storm Dennis, as they are different events :wink:
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Storm Dennis is not due where I live until Sunday. Went out this afternoon for a short walk just to get outside for a bit and the wind nearly had me off my feet a couple of times.