Remembering the Fallen.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: Remembering the Fallen.

Postby pete75 » 13 Feb 2020, 4:12pm

Mike Sales wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I wear a white poppy for a couple of days. I do remember the sacrifice of many and the overall folly and futility of war. I do not accept glorious dead: lying torn to shreds in a muddy field is not glorious.

The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

Wilfred Owen.

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/46560/dulce-et-decorum-est

The poem, and the last verse in particular,was aimed at Jessie Pope. The first draft was dedicated to her.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 13 Feb 2020, 8:08pm

I had a Czech teacher at school who was a real influence. He used to talk about his and his family's experiences.

I was in Prague this year and followed some of his lessons

I went to Lidice, a village razed to the ground in reprisal for the assassination of Reynhard Heidrich.... The open space is moving, and the memorial for the 85 children gassed brings tears to your eyes

I also visited the Pinkas Synagogue where there is handwritten testimony

73,000 names with a date of birth and when they were last seen (often entering a train to a concentration camp), and children's drawings fro Terezin of the trains and executions.

Personally ( and it is exactly that) I think that we need to remember not just the military that are "Fallen" or deserve remembrance, but millions of others who were affected

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 14 Feb 2020, 8:56am

IWM of the north is a good place to go for remembrance imho. I went there and got lost in the emotion that place brings out in anyone with a gram of empathy towards others.

I feel I should visit a site where the WWII atrocities happened. My grandad's experience was being ordered to keep back from a town and its surrounding area. Turns out it was either concentration camp or POW camp in Germany towards the end of the war. They got that order because troops seeing such places affected morale badly. Whether it was seeing POWs or people targeted for annihilation, those surviving both tended to be starved to skeletons. It seriously affected my great uncle who spent aiui several years as a POW.. The later period was starvation. He had the consequences of that through the rest of his life with medical conditions.

As you can tell, I need no poppy to remember.

Not remember the events since I've never been there but to remember the stories of the events, the history as told first hand or secondhand to me. And if you do go to the IWM of the north you'll get the chance to learn about war and conflict in other parts of the world. Such as first hand recording from Rwandan survivors. A child at that!