a very bad caricature

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
fullupandslowingdown

a very bad caricature

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

_110962287_gettyimages-1204679435.jpg

After my eyes tear themselves away from the horrible dress my next thought was, is that Professor Winston's eyebrows?
The ears were stolen from the Star Wars props basket.
And as for the lips, they look like something you'd find on an inflatable friend from Ms Summers Emporium for Friendless Politicians.

I can understand people wondering if the designer wasn't being sincere. It looks absolutely stupid, but is it racist?
100%JR

Re: a very bad caricature

Post by 100%JR »

Racist?No
Ridiculous?Yes
Pointless?Yes
Stupid?Yes
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

100%JR wrote:Racist?No
Ridiculous?Yes
Pointless?Yes
Stupid?Yes

Got people talking about the designer - Yes
pwa

Post by pwa »

Which race would it be racist against?
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

Screenshot 2020-02-20 at 10.01.35.png

That's the full news item on the BBC. I however now feel very annoyed with the bbc because those aren't the only images circulating the web. It now appears that some of the ears were black. i.e the image the bbc chose to head the article as representative of the debacle wasn't in fact representative. Which to me smacks of covert editorial bias, though to what end I'm not sure. In the article there is an image of the one model that refused to wear the stupid extras. The woman is quoted as refusing because they were racist, though I feel all the models would have been entitled to refuse simply because the bits are ridiculous and don't add anything to the outfits, but in fact detract from them.

I still wonder if the designer was simply misguided and didn't have any malicious intentions in asking the models to wear the big ears etc. Designers want to get noticed, they want their designs to be the focus of a show, not the models, who they are simply using as walking manikins. Maybe the use of humans in this way is also a problem, though there remains intense competition to become a top fashion model. No doubt in a near future, robots will wear the latest designs on catwalks, unless even their limited AI makes them down tools and refuse.

I dunno, you humans really are confusing to me, especially when you expend so much time and trouble being unpleasant to each other.
pwa

Post by pwa »

fullupandslowingdown wrote:Screenshot 2020-02-20 at 10.01.35.png

That's the full news item on the BBC. I however now feel very annoyed with the bbc because those aren't the only images circulating the web. It now appears that some of the ears were black. i.e the image the bbc chose to head the article as representative of the debacle wasn't in fact representative. Which to me smacks of covert editorial bias, though to what end I'm not sure. In the article there is an image of the one model that refused to wear the stupid extras. The woman is quoted as refusing because they were racist, though I feel all the models would have been entitled to refuse simply because the bits are ridiculous and don't add anything to the outfits, but in fact detract from them.

I still wonder if the designer was simply misguided and didn't have any malicious intentions in asking the models to wear the big ears etc. Designers want to get noticed, they want their designs to be the focus of a show, not the models, who they are simply using as walking manikins. Maybe the use of humans in this way is also a problem, though there remains intense competition to become a top fashion model. No doubt in a near future, robots will wear the latest designs on catwalks, unless even their limited AI makes them down tools and refuse.

I dunno, you humans really are confusing to me, especially when you expend so much time and trouble being unpleasant to each other.

There is nothing racist about it that I can see. It is basically treating the model like a Mr. Potato Head with a kit of caricature parts, some black, some white, and all daft and comic.