More Trump idiocy

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 9749
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm
Location: Sussex

More Trump idiocy

Postby 661-Pete » 21 Feb 2020, 9:34am

I'm talking about his derision of the latest Oscar-winning movie, Parasite from South Korea.

Of course, it's quite understandable, seeing as he can't speak a word of Korean (sort of Chinese, ain't it?) - and with his reading age of about seven or eight, the subtitles are flashing past far too quickly for him to master...

But: Gone With The Wind??? OK, it was an amazing epic in its time. Yes, I've never sat through the whole thing (who has?), but I've seen some memorable clips from it - like when the little girl falls off the horse, and the ending with the "Frankly I don't give a damn" and "Tomorrow is another day" catchphrases.

But the film has come up for much criticism: its principal characters are on the Confederate side, the film portrays slavery in a favourable light, with stereotyped black American characters. Hattie McDaniel may have won an Oscar for her role, but she was far from happy.

Is that what Trump is now aligning himself with? What next? Birth of a Nation?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

reohn2
Posts: 37780
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: More Trump idiocy

Postby reohn2 » 21 Feb 2020, 9:48am

Does this guy know how stupid and prejudiced he sounds?
Do the people who hang on ever word he utters know how stupid they are?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

mattheus
Posts: 1542
Joined: 29 Dec 2008, 12:57pm
Location: Western Europe

Re: More Trump idiocy

Postby mattheus » 21 Feb 2020, 10:42am

I have a horrible suspicion that he's nailed it in terms of how his current supporters will hear this.

My one solace - from the linked article - is this:

Neon, the studio that produced Parasite, responded to Trump’s dig on Twitter with a dig of its own: “Understandable, he can’t read.”
:lol:

roubaixtuesday
Posts: 2764
Joined: 18 Aug 2015, 7:05pm

Re: More Trump idiocy

Postby roubaixtuesday » 21 Feb 2020, 10:53am

661-Pete wrote:I'm talking about his derision of the latest Oscar-winning movie, Parasite from South Korea.

Of course, it's quite understandable, seeing as he can't speak a word of Korean (sort of Chinese, ain't it?) - and with his reading age of about seven or eight, the subtitles are flashing past far too quickly for him to master...

But: Gone With The Wind??? OK, it was an amazing epic in its time. Yes, I've never sat through the whole thing (who has?), but I've seen some memorable clips from it - like when the little girl falls off the horse, and the ending with the "Frankly I don't give a damn" and "Tomorrow is another day" catchphrases.

But the film has come up for much criticism: its principal characters are on the Confederate side, the film portrays slavery in a favourable light, with stereotyped black American characters. Hattie McDaniel may have won an Oscar for her role, but she was far from happy.

Is that what Trump is now aligning himself with? What next? Birth of a Nation?


It's almost as though Trump wants his supporters to believe he's a racist.

At least it would never happen here.

You can't imagine a UK Prime minister lying about millions of Turks coming here.

You can't imagine a UK prime minister using racial slurs and refusing to apologise.

You can't imagine a UK prime minister using derogatory language about religious dress and refusing to apologise.

You can't imagine a UK prime minister employing a eugenicist.

No, there's no way a UK prime minister would set out to encourage and exploit ethnic and religious prejudice.

The British are better than the Americans. We'd see through such a charlatan and never elect them.

carpetcleaner
Posts: 389
Joined: 14 Nov 2019, 1:25pm

Re: More Trump idiocy

Postby carpetcleaner » 21 Feb 2020, 11:02am

President Trump's opponents spend most of their time telling us how nasty and stupid they think he is rather than putting forward policies of their own which appeal to sufficient voters to secure their victory and Trump's defeat.

It reminds me of the Brexit debate over here where one side thought it was a good idea to describe their opponents as uninformed, ignorant, uneducated, gullible and even racist.

The public is usually unimpressed with such an approach to electoral campaigning.

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17908
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: More Trump idiocy

Postby Vorpal » 21 Feb 2020, 11:32am

Gone With the Wind suits him for many reasons.

I will leave it at that.

p.s. I have seen the film and read part of the book
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

carpetcleaner
Posts: 389
Joined: 14 Nov 2019, 1:25pm

Re: More Trump idiocy

Postby carpetcleaner » 21 Feb 2020, 11:36am

roubaixtuesday wrote:
661-Pete wrote:I'm talking about his derision of the latest Oscar-winning movie, Parasite from South Korea.

Of course, it's quite understandable, seeing as he can't speak a word of Korean (sort of Chinese, ain't it?) - and with his reading age of about seven or eight, the subtitles are flashing past far too quickly for him to master...

But: Gone With The Wind??? OK, it was an amazing epic in its time. Yes, I've never sat through the whole thing (who has?), but I've seen some memorable clips from it - like when the little girl falls off the horse, and the ending with the "Frankly I don't give a damn" and "Tomorrow is another day" catchphrases.

But the film has come up for much criticism: its principal characters are on the Confederate side, the film portrays slavery in a favourable light, with stereotyped black American characters. Hattie McDaniel may have won an Oscar for her role, but she was far from happy.

Is that what Trump is now aligning himself with? What next? Birth of a Nation?


It's almost as though Trump wants his supporters to believe he's a racist.

At least it would never happen here.

You can't imagine a UK Prime minister lying about millions of Turks coming here.

You can't imagine a UK prime minister using racial slurs and refusing to apologise.

You can't imagine a UK prime minister using derogatory language about religious dress and refusing to apologise.

You can't imagine a UK prime minister employing a eugenicist.

No, there's no way a UK prime minister would set out to encourage and exploit ethnic and religious prejudice.

The British are better than the Americans. We'd see through such a charlatan and never elect them.


If that kind of thing happened here then we'd see an exodus of foreigners. Meanwhile 3m foreigners have applied for settled status in the UK and our border force has a difficult job stopping people coming here illegally.

roubaixtuesday
Posts: 2764
Joined: 18 Aug 2015, 7:05pm

Re: More Trump idiocy

Postby roubaixtuesday » 21 Feb 2020, 11:55am

carpetcleaner wrote:
If that kind of thing happened here then...



I don't think you've been paying attention.

Psamathe
Posts: 11123
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: More Trump idiocy

Postby Psamathe » 21 Feb 2020, 12:12pm

carpetcleaner wrote:........
If that kind of thing happened here then we'd see an exodus of foreigners. Meanwhile 3m foreigners have applied for settled status in the UK and our border force has a difficult job stopping people coming here illegally.

Maybe you have not noticed
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/may/08/nhs-nursing-crisis-worsened-by-brexit-exodus wrote:Almost 5,000 nurses and midwives from EU27 countries have quit the NHS in the past two years, with many of those identifying Brexit as the trigger.

Of course "we don't need them" as UK employers should apparently be paying more and training more (yet Conservatives e.g. removed nurses bursaries ...).

Ian

reohn2
Posts: 37780
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: More Trump idiocy

Postby reohn2 » 21 Feb 2020, 12:34pm

Psamathe wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:........
If that kind of thing happened here then we'd see an exodus of foreigners. Meanwhile 3m foreigners have applied for settled status in the UK and our border force has a difficult job stopping people coming here illegally.

Maybe you have not noticed
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/may/08/nhs-nursing-crisis-worsened-by-brexit-exodus wrote:Almost 5,000 nurses and midwives from EU27 countries have quit the NHS in the past two years, with many of those identifying Brexit as the trigger.

Of course "we don't need them" as UK employers should apparently be paying more and training more (yet Conservatives e.g. removed nurses bursaries ...).

Ian

Incredible innit?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17908
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: More Trump idiocy

Postby Vorpal » 21 Feb 2020, 1:43pm

Posts have been removed. If you feel something is trolling, please use the report button.

Thanks :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 9749
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm
Location: Sussex

Re: More Trump idiocy

Postby 661-Pete » 21 Feb 2020, 1:47pm

Vorpal wrote:Posts have been removed. If you feel something is trolling, please use the report button.

Thanks :)
I hope we're still allowed to say how incredibly stupid we think Drumpf and his cronies are.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

reohn2
Posts: 37780
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: More Trump idiocy

Postby reohn2 » 21 Feb 2020, 1:50pm

Vorpal wrote:Posts have been removed. If you feel something is trolling, please use the report button.

Thanks :)

An antagonist for his own entertainment then,is that OK?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Psamathe
Posts: 11123
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: More Trump idiocy

Postby Psamathe » 21 Feb 2020, 2:02pm

Digressing a bit, excerpts from the Democrat debate last night I thought Bloomberg looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights. They were showing relevant attacks on him (e.g. about NDA's he has over complaints about his "who knowns what", etc.) so excerpts to show the questions being raised but he was a complete failure.

Ian

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17908
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: More Trump idiocy

Postby Vorpal » 21 Feb 2020, 2:27pm

Psamathe wrote:Digressing a bit, excerpts from the Democrat debate last night I thought Bloomberg looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights. They were showing relevant attacks on him (e.g. about NDA's he has over complaints about his "who knowns what", etc.) so excerpts to show the questions being raised but he was a complete failure.

Ian

Someone temporarily updated his Wiki page just after the debate. It said he died February 19, 2020 and the cause of death was listed as Elizabeth Warren. :lol: https://secondnexus.com/democratic-deba ... -wikipedia
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom