More Trump idiocy

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: More Trump idiocy

Post by 661-Pete »

I never accused said sprog of breaking any laws. Some activities are deplorable and disgusting even if they are legal. And many people, even in USA, would agree with my sentiments.

Incidentally, I presume you all know how the 'teddy bear' got its name? Apparently president Theodore Roosevelt (a far more honourable and decent man than Trump'll ever be!), on a hunting trip, was invited to shoot a bear which had been tethered to a tree. He refused. And the rest, as we say, is history.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

carpetcleaner wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
661-Pete wrote:Forget The Madness Of King Donald, just for a moment, it seems his sprog is all set to hunt grizzly bear in Alaska. May not be utter insanity, but utterly deplorable all the same. I thought bears were protected species......

Apart from the obvious comment on somebody getting pleasure from killing an innocent animal (which speaks volumes) to me it also highlights how the family just don't care and feel entitled to do whatever they want.

Ian

It seems President Trump's son applied for a permit to hunt the bears and was granted one.

I can't see how that this shows that he or his family feel entitled to do whatever they want. It shows they ask for permission to do things when they need to just like they should.

I wouldn't want to hunt bears myself, but the authorities in Alaska obviously allow it. I celebrate and respect the diversity of cultures on the planet and so I won't make any judgements about how Alaskans choose to behave.

An innocent living animal is going to be killed to give some idiot a moment of pleasure. If you can't see the issues around that then I'm not going to waste my time explaining them. He does not live in the area, he has no need to kill a bear (or any wild animal), it is just a moment of pleasure he seems to get from killing something. If I posted my true feelings about the mentality of such people then I expect the moderators would delete the post within 10 seconds.

Ian
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

One little grizzly
Waiting to be had;
Oops! He got the hunter first –
Aren't you kind of glad?

(Slight variation on the last verse of a poem by Frank Jacobs called 'Four Little Tigers'.)
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There's a difference between Teddy's bear tethered to a tree and a wild bear you have to hunt. I reckon if the bear was loose and he'd hunted it down teddy probably would have shot it. I believe hunting was his pleasure.

As to trump jr I doubt he'll get to shoot the bear unless he's got a very good hunter leading him by the nose or the bear is tethered up for him. I don't see him as a real hungry personally.

Personally I don't like hunting but I do like pheasant and deer. I like game meat and that's likely shot for pleasure. I don't like the idea of eating bear. If you're not eating it or it's not a threat to human life then I don't see why bear should be hunted. I'm not fussed about sustainability shooting game if it's a food animal. Hypocritical of me to oppose hunting for food prey considering I've eaten a few over the years. Wild boar, rabbit, pheasants, other game birds, kudu and zebra.

The last time suspicious of but it was a burger van in a carpark near the Trotternish ridge on Skye that sold so many interesting meat burgers. If it was zebra it's a lovely meat. Melt in the mouth meat.

Three Trump family are to$$ers though. There's always the possibility the prey wins of course!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Tangled Metal wrote:There's a difference between Teddy's bear tethered to a tree and a wild bear you have to hunt. I reckon if the bear was loose and he'd hunted it down teddy probably would have shot it. I believe hunting was his pleasure.
Actually, Wiki seems to confirm your version. Theodore is reported as saying, it would be "unsportsmanlike", not that it would be "cruelty". Oh well.... :roll:

As to trump jr I doubt he'll get to shoot the bear unless he's got a very good hunter leading him by the nose or the bear is tethered up for him. I don't see him as a real hungry personally.

Personally I don't like hunting but I do like pheasant and deer. I like game meat and that's likely shot for pleasure. I don't like the idea of eating bear.
Can't argue with you about eating likes and dislikes, but having, some years ago, stumbled by accident on a pheasant shoot (on Ilkley Moor*), I can tell you it was a nasty experience to watch. No way! As to eating bear meat, I remember seeing on a restaurant menu in Sweden Björnbiff (I think the word was). Although we were still meat-eaters in those days, we left well alone! (as we also did the älgstek)!

There's always the possibility the prey wins of course!
If only Daddy would turn up at one of these shoots..... :wink:

*don't recall whether I was be-hatted or not.... :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

All this reminds me of that old, and very well-worn, conundrum: "A hunter walks a mile south, then a mile east, then a mile north. He finds himself back at his starting-point. He shoots a bear. What colour was the bear?"
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

661-Pete wrote:All this reminds me of that old, and very well-worn, conundrum: "A hunter walks a mile south, then a mile east, then a mile north. He finds himself back at his starting-point. He shoots a bear. What colour was the bear?"

White

Ian
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Trump photos

CE4-FwwWYAAl2XO.jpeg
CoqwR-8UIAA4p0D.jpg
CoqwR-8UIAA4p0D.jpg (34.05 KiB) Viewed 340 times
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

If the bear gets him can it tear a part of him off as a souvenir? Which part makes the best souvenir?

Saw a meme about queen ER and the whole trump clan. Apparently the queen served in the military in uniform during the WWII for longer than the whole of the Trump clan and that of the VP. I doubt the greedy rich serves in the military. You can buy a medical discharge for less than a hospital wing built with cheap and illegal standards. So why would they?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Knocks me sick.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

All I can say is, if young Master Donald does come face to face with a grizzly in the woods, I hope he waits until he's finished doing his dump, and flushed, before shooting him:
Otherwise it could get very messy! :lol:
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

661-Pete wrote:All I can say is, if young Master Donald does come face to face with a grizzly in the woods, I hope he waits until he's finished doing his dump, and flushed, before shooting him:
Otherwise it could get very messy! :lol:

Or looked at another way if Master Trump comes face to face with Urs in the woods the crapping may have another source. :shock:
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

There are poor parts of the world with endangered species, that depend on the income from rich western hunters to support their conservation programs.

It may seem in bad taste, but it does materially benefit the specieses in the long run. Sad but true.

(I'm not saying that Alaska is in this category!)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mattheus wrote:There are poor parts of the world with endangered species, that depend on the income from rich western hunters to support their conservation programs.

It may seem in bad taste, but it does materially benefit the specieses in the long run. Sad but true.

(I'm not saying that Alaska is in this category!)

There are alternatives. Just easy to chose a few wealthy with a warped sense of self gratification than explore the alternatives. The vast sums paid by a few individuals mostly go to wealthy middle men rather than the communities whereas broader tourism would benefit those communities far more e.g. through provision of accommodation and services to larger numbers of visitors whose aims are to observe not kill. CBT initiatives are becoming more common and genuinely spread the income amongst those in the community. I came across several in SE Asia where middlemen were excluded and you could only book direct with the community itself.

And there are bigger and more complex issues created by Trophy Hunting vs natural environmental factors e.g. Trophy Hunters have strong preferences for their quarry - one that impacts populations beyond the loss of one individual e.g. the preference for mature male lions or for tuskers (mature male elephants) whose loss impacts the stability of the herd way beyond loss on one individual.

Apart from the flawed "income" case, Trophy Hunting perpetuates a view of animals and provides a justification for people who get some warped pleasure from killing a living animal for their own personal gratification.

However you regard it and it's impacts it is a bad solution to a problem. We need to resolve the issues about habitat loss, diversity maintenance, etc. not to patch over the issues by encouraging people who get pleasure from killing.

Ian
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

based on the articles I've read, some of the nations HAVE explored the alternatives and generally use those too. But as you say, this IS easy money; so I can understand why they take it.

(and who cares about the middle-men? All that matters is the cash reaching the wildlife parks or whatever. I don't care who is ripping off the hunters.)

EDIT to add:

Psamathe wrote:Apart from the flawed "income" case, Trophy Hunting perpetuates a view of animals and provides a justification for people who get some warped pleasure from killing a living animal for their own personal gratification.

However you regard it and it's impacts it is a bad solution to a problem. We need to resolve the issues about habitat loss, diversity maintenance, etc. not to patch over the issues by encouraging people who get pleasure from killing.

Ian

Yes, those are downsides - but the animals don't care.