I do not believe it #99 Guardian reports that make-up for males is becoming more popular €$¥!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
merseymouth

Re: I do not believe it #99 Guardian reports that make-up for males is becoming more popular €$¥!

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, I think we males should give it serious consideration! After all the finished result at the Embalming Salon takes years of age lines away :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mind you coating the skin with lard can do the job far cheaper! Keep out of the hot sun though. IGICB MM
Tangled Metal

Re: I do not believe it #99 Guardian reports that make-up for males is becoming more popular €$¥!

Post by Tangled Metal »

Since the op didn't link to any article I went looking. Was it this one from 3 days ago?

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2020/feb/23/beauty-and-the-bloke-why-more-men-are-chooisng-to-wear-makeup-warpaint#img-1

If that's the article then part way down the journalist mentioned a euromonitor report predicting the men's grooming and beauty market would be $49m this year, a rise of 4x. As I thought they lumped grooming with beauty or makeup.

This story has been pumped out for 20 years. I once read the paper version, pre internet era, of the guardian and the independent. I've read that story so many times. 20+years it's been printed as if it's a new phenomenon.

Anyway, my main points through this thread is that the story is grooming product sales for men are high and part of that will need makeup. I however reckon the grooming part, which we all do, is the majority of those sales. This article imho reads more like a promotional piece for men's makeup rather than an honest reporting of men's grooming sales which is the whole of the story that's supported by three euromonitor prediction report.

So all those going on about makeup, calm down it's really about your shaving foam, beard combs, beard or moustache oil, moisturiser (including E45), aftershave, razors, etc. You're all buying more. Except mick who's not needed a shaver for years and the chances of a hipster beard needing a special comb is slim. :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

That is the article I think
Dunno about facial skin care, not shaved my beard off for many years, 1991 I think :wink:
Why on earth do males shave their faces every day? Surely one could simply have the hair permanently removed
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Shiny head polish review, maybe I should have linked this in the helmet section...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8ndmptH_4w
Nu-Fogey
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

colin54 wrote:Shiny head polish review, maybe I should have linked this in the helmet section...

My cover's blown,I get through that stuff by the bucket load,slick stuff or what?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
colin54

Post by colin54 »

reohn2 wrote:
colin54 wrote:Shiny head polish review, maybe I should have linked this in the helmet section...

My cover's blown,I get through that stuff by the bucket load,slick stuff or what?

Make sure you don't operate any heavy machinery whilst using it John, the narcotic effect of all that lavender is well understood

I didn't realise eyebrow trimming was a thing until I got older, you get 'em done for free with a pensioners rate haircut at the barbers...result !
Keef's always been fond of a bit of kohl round the eyes hasn't he, I wonder if I can get that for nowt as well at me Kurdish barbers ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AXETu9wnCE
Nu-Fogey
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

colin54 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Make sure you don't operate any heavy machinery whilst using it John, the narcotic effect of all that lavender is well understood

I didn't realise eyebrow trimming was a thing until I got older, you get 'em done for free with a pensioners rate haircut at the barbers...result !

I stopped going to the barbers as being bald as a Coot(as you know),I couldn't haggle 'em down to half the price of the pensioners discount :?
So went and bought my own clippers,a five minute job on the head piece,a de-Dennis Healeying of the eyebrows and I'm good to go.This getting old's a challenge :(
The drawback of having yer own clippers and being retired with plenty time on yer hands you can get carried away with the things :shock:

Keef's always been fond of a bit of kohl round the eyes hasn't he, I wonder if I can get that for nowt as well at me Kurdish barbers ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AXETu9wnCE

I reckon the Kurds would have you awhey and sat in a corner if you asked for a bit of eyeliner.
Keef IMO needs a lot more than eyeliner to make him look good these days :lol: .
At least Mick,Charlie and Woody have grown old with a reasonable amount of decorum,but I think Keef had too much loopy juice a young age IMO :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Tangled Metal wrote:Since the op didn't link to any article I went looking. Was it this one from 3 days ago?

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2020/feb/23/beauty-and-the-bloke-why-more-men-are-chooisng-to-wear-makeup-warpaint#img-1

If that's the article then part way down the journalist mentioned a euromonitor report predicting the men's grooming and beauty market would be $49m this year, a rise of 4x. As I thought they lumped grooming with beauty or makeup.

This story has been pumped out for 20 years. I once read the paper version, pre internet era, of the guardian and the independent. I've read that story so many times. 20+years it's been printed as if it's a new phenomenon.

Anyway, my main points through this thread is that the story is grooming product sales for men are high and part of that will need makeup. I however reckon the grooming part, which we all do, is the majority of those sales. This article imho reads more like a promotional piece for men's makeup rather than an honest reporting of men's grooming sales which is the whole of the story that's supported by three euromonitor prediction report.

So all those going on about makeup, calm down it's really about your shaving foam, beard combs, beard or moustache oil, moisturiser (including E45), aftershave, razors, etc. You're all buying more. Except mick who's not needed a shaver for years and the chances of a hipster beard needing a special comb is slim. :wink:

^^^^this.
RE “proper” make up men across the World have been wearing it on and off for centuries.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

reohn2 wrote:I reckon the Kurds would have you awhey
Curds and whey, v.droll.
Nu-Fogey
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oh no, the hairdr€$$ers are expecting to do good business when they are allowed to reopen :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Some of the most popular (perhaps that should read promoted) Youtubers are camp young men doing makeup. Several boys in their early teens and some even younger are now semi-famous on these platforms for doing their makeup, often with the same camp mannerisms.

I suppose in a world where masculinity is often considered toxic, boys behaving like girls becomes not only acceptable, but preferable. Girls and young women are going in the opposite direction and behaving more like men (apparently masculinity is only toxic for men), or at least a bad caricature thereof, every day.

Welcome to progress.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Freddie wrote:Some of the most popular (perhaps that should read promoted) Youtubers are camp young men doing makeup. Several boys in their early teens and some even younger are now semi-famous on these platforms for doing their makeup, often with the same camp mannerisms.

I suppose in a world where masculinity is often considered toxic, boys behaving like girls becomes not only acceptable, but preferable. Girls and young women are going in the opposite direction and behaving more like men (apparently masculinity is only toxic for men), or at least a bad caricature thereof, every day.

Welcome to progress.

These generalisations are rather too sweeping for my comfort.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Oh no, the hairdr€$$ers are expecting to do good business when they are allowed to reopen :?

The hairdressers here have been allowed to cut hair since 11th May.
My wife's hairdresser decided not to reopen, partly because of the C19 outbreak. To run the business she'd have to limit the numbers she can see in a day. After each customer the salon has to be sanitised so appointments have to be spaced out.
The hairdresser who cut the wife's hair told her she starts at 8 am and finishes at 8 pm , 6 days a week.
Wearing a mask and a face visor for that length of time she finds very tiring.
I think the price of haircuts will go up to cover extra costs
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

francovendee wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Oh no, the hairdr€$$ers are expecting to do good business when they are allowed to reopen :?

The hairdressers here have been allowed to cut hair since 11th May.
My wife's hairdresser decided not to reopen, partly because of the C19 outbreak. To run the business she'd have to limit the numbers she can see in a day. After each customer the salon has to be sanitised so appointments have to be spaced out.
The hairdresser who cut the wife's hair told her she starts at 8 am and finishes at 8 pm , 6 days a week.
Wearing a mask and a face visor for that length of time she finds very tiring.
I think the price of haircuts will go up to cover extra costs

I also think it's worth the money, as do many who haven't had a professional cut for some months, I suspect! :shock: