Refugees/migrants

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
francovendee

Refugees/migrants

Postby francovendee » 3 Mar 2020, 9:07am

The news that Turkey is not preventing refugee and migrants from crossing their border into Greece makes me wonder if the movement of people can be stopped.
With climate change making areas no longer habitable and wars making life impossible, plus the lure of a better life in the west is something that will be hard to stop.
News coverage showed the Greek forces firing live ammunition to deter people crossing in rubber boats. It was upsetting to see but Greece must feel overwhelmed by the numbers waiting at the border.

Will the west be able to prevent desperate people crossing borders unless extreme violence is used?

Hungary was heavily criticised for the closing their borders but the few that are crossing the Channel by boat makes front page news in the UK.

mercalia

Re: Refugees/migrants

Postby mercalia » 3 Mar 2020, 9:39am

I am surprised the EU hasnt been very generous in helping Turkey. Hosting 4m refugees is impossible for a single country, esp for one like Turkey that is hardly the richest. I dont blame Erdogen or whatever his name is.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 20 Aug 2020, 3:33pm

What do you make of this story about refugees/assylum seekers from some one who claims to have explored the matter on the ground in various situations?

The truth about the migrant crisis isn’t what you think

I’ve covered the migrant crisis for more than five years and worked on the ground in more than eight countries. I’ve visited dozens of refugee camps and illegal migrant encampments. I’ve spent hundreds of hours with refugees and migrants listening to their stories and trying to make sense of this crisis. The picture I see in the news does not reflect my experience and that of many others.

Over my time on the refugee trail, I’ve noticed that the majority of people making the journey to Europe are males between the age of 18-35. In fact I’d estimate up to 85 per cent of the migrant influx is comprised of young men. I always found it difficult to turn on the TV and see women clutching their infants and fathers weeping as they landed on the shores of Greece. Difficult because of the humanitarian empathy that wells up within us all, but also difficult because it’s not a reality I’m seeing on the ground.....

....Across the world, there are hundreds of millions who would qualify for EU asylum. The question we are all going to have to ask is how much is enough? How many people can the West really take?

Edward Crawford is a freelance photojournalist and videographer

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-truth-about-the-migrant-crisis-isn-t-what-you-think?

Its very hard to just dismiss this mans views who has probably seen more than most of us here?

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 20 Aug 2020, 3:42pm

There are horrendous conditions all over the world that people want to escape. Europe cant possibly absorb them all. If it did conditions in Europe would swiftly become horrendous. The way to help people is to educate and assist them to help themselves.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 20 Aug 2020, 5:26pm

On the plus side, once sea levels rise the UK will probably become a nation of refugees going the other way.
As a collection of small islands there's a limit to how many people we can hold.

I noticed on the DM facebook page there was much rejoicing at the death of one of the migrants, which makes me think that simply swapping some folk for migrants is the obvious answer.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 20 Aug 2020, 9:27pm

We're all migrants...
We all share one planet...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 22 Aug 2020, 6:50pm

We all live in the same planet but the word share seems inapplicable.And I cannot claim to be a migrant unless you count moving up North.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 22 Aug 2020, 6:55pm

Europe takes hardly any. Most go to neighbouring Arab countries.
John

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 22 Aug 2020, 7:00pm

mumbojumbo wrote:We all live in the same planet but the word share seems inapplicable.And I cannot claimm to be a migrant unless you count moving up North.

Share, just not fairly.

And we are all immigrants - given where humanity started there might be a few Africans who could claim otherwise...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

yakdiver

Postby yakdiver » 22 Aug 2020, 7:18pm

Just wait until France terminates the “Le Touquet deal” and the border is in Dover, that will be the time to worry.
France has not played the ace card yet fishing or migrants, they are not being very helpful as it is and we are paying them millions so stop them.
Alias Numbnuts

roubaixtuesday

Postby roubaixtuesday » 22 Aug 2020, 8:14pm

yakdiver wrote:..., they are not being very helpful as it is...

Yes, taking nearly three times as many refugees as we do is most unhelpful...

:roll:

yakdiver

Postby yakdiver » 22 Aug 2020, 8:55pm

roubaixtuesday wrote:

There is a BIG difference, they let them in so while on their soil it is their problem NOT ours and we have given them over 100 million to stop them and they have treated us like suckers. :x
Alias Numbnuts

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 22 Aug 2020, 10:07pm

People have always moved around, and always will.

I think some people are more inclined to move aorund than others, but when wars, famine, oppression, etc make living in one place intolerable, they move. And once they are on the move, sometimes it's easier to keep going. Turkey has millions of refugees. How much effort should they be expected to put into keeping them there being burden on their system?

Climate change and diminishing resources will likely cause more migration. It is a problem that the world needs to solve & putting people in tent camps in Turkey isn't going to do it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

roubaixtuesday

Postby roubaixtuesday » 22 Aug 2020, 10:32pm

yakdiver wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:

There is a BIG difference, they let them in so while on their soil it is their problem NOT ours and we have given them over 100 million to stop them and they have treated us like suckers. :x

They have three times the refugees we do, and we're the suckers.

Got it.

yakdiver

Postby yakdiver » 23 Aug 2020, 2:50am

roubaixtuesday wrote:They have three times the refugees we do, and we're the suckers.

Got it.

NO THEY LET THEM IN WITH THEIR OPEN BORDERS POLICY
Alias Numbnuts