Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PDQ Mobile

Re: Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Post by PDQ Mobile »

David9694 wrote:
It may or may not help, that over on the “main” (cycling-related) forum, someone was complaining that his dynohub felt rough - I suggested he should isolate it from other components for 14 days.

Just pedal it over to N Wales,(if it can make it :shock:), we have a drive though center for rough hubbys.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51766298
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

RickH wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:This is the seventh ( known ) Corona virus to infect humans apparently. The human race hasn’t been wiped out by any of them so far.

COVID-19 not the 19th?

COronaVIrusDisease-2019

[pedant]You missed out the ‘n’ nCOVID-19 the ‘n’ is for novel ( it’s not been seen before) [/pedant]
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
RickH wrote:
mercalia wrote:
COVID-19 not the 19th?

COronaVIrusDisease-2019

[pedant]You missed out the ‘n’ nCOVID-19 the ‘n’ is for novel ( it’s not been seen before) [/pedant]

Is it a novel of the film or a film of the novel?

Or a co - video?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

David9694 wrote:
ambodach wrote:While hand hygiene is important the anti bacterial stuff is surely useless against a virus. While washing will help I doubt that at the moment anything will kill the virus. The important thing is not to transmit it to vulnerable parts of the body and the face is always mentioned. It a long time since I studied this subject and anyone please feel free to correct me.

As I understand it, from my non-clinical infection control training, cleaning the environment and cleaning your hands (particularly as you move between patients) are what help control infection on a hospital ward; you can’t wash your hands umpteen times a day without getting some side effects and it isn’t always practicable to do so, so so long as your hands aren’t visibly dirty, the alcohol-based gel is a good alternative - alcohol is a disinfectant, right?

And if you can't get the gel because it's all sold out meths would probably be a good alternative.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

There are many good reasons for people to relearn the practice of hand washing. I was recently in a hotel and happened to be in the toilet washing my hands when the chef came out of the cubicle and went straight back into the hotel without washing.

Needless to say, I cancelled my meal and complained to the hotel.

If the chief Medical Officer says to wash hands I am happy to comply. I understand that a virus is coated with some kind of oil which washing breaks down.

As an chronically asthmatic 70 year old I am aware of being reasonably vulnerable. Some (not doctors) say flu is worse. I don't want that either. Or a stomach bug.
John
millimole

Post by millimole »

Not entirely serious :
Two military types go into the gents for a pee. The army chap comes straight out the door, and waits for the sailor. The sailor comes out a minute or two later and says *in the navy they teach us to wash our hands after going to the toilet" to which the soldier responded "in the army they teach us not to micturate on our hands"
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

More utterly disgusting stuff from Mr T.

I'm wondering when he's going to utter the diktat, that anyone who coughs or sneezes in public should be shot dead on the spot?

Personally, I wouldn't feel safe walking about in the street, across the Pond. I've just had an early bout of hay-fever. Utterly harmless, but will that convince others?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

How can I stay safe?

The main practical thing at the moment is to carry on taking sensible steps to reduce your risk of picking up infections.

The virus is thought to be spread by coughs and via contaminated surfaces, such as handrails and door handles in public places.

wear gloves
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

millimole wrote:not to micturate on our hands"
Off topic: I wonder whether the swear-filter on this forum could be amended to put in the more familiar word "urinate" instead of "micturate" - which is a very uncommon word?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

In Plymouth yesterday and went for a P in the gents on the platform.
Washed my hands, and then put the sleeve of my coat over my hand the pull the door open.

It really really really is a stupid idea to have doors you have to pull open to get out of the loos.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

661-Pete wrote:
millimole wrote:not to micturate on our hands"
Off topic: I wonder whether the swear-filter on this forum could be amended to put in the more familiar word "urinate" instead of "micturate" - which is a very uncommon word?

Frankly, in that context I would be happy with the vernacular term.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote:In Plymouth yesterday and went for a P in the gents on the platform.
Washed my hands, and then put the sleeve of my coat over my hand the pull the door open.

It really really really is a stupid idea to have doors you have to pull open to get out of the loos.

I've often thought that.

And you wash your hands then what do you use to turn the tap off that you turned on with dirty hands? Unless it is an auto tap.
John
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mick F wrote:In Plymouth yesterday and went for a P in the gents on the platform.

At some risk of being being thought a lurker :shock: ,
another strategy is to wait until someone else leaves, while washing away merrily, and nip through using the foot.

A sort of making it up on the hoof!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Oldjohnw wrote:And you wash your hands then what do you use to turn the tap off that you turned on with dirty hands? Unless it is an auto tap.
Yes, that's another daft thing.

I suppose you wash the tap as well as your hands.
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

A chap I knew back when I was a student - he was doing a PhD in microbiology - explained to me that human urine from a healthy person is actually virtually free of harmful bacteria and other pathogens. In fact I heard somewhere - not from him - that it used to be common practice in some cultures to urinate (can I use that word?) on a wound to 'disinfect' it. Particularly on the battlefield. Is there any truth in that?

The same is not true of 'number 2' though! For that you must wash your hands thoroughly.