Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
brooksby

Re: Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Post by brooksby »

Oldjohnw wrote:Just had a look at first page of this thread. 41 deaths in China on 25 January.

How the world has moved.

Gawd! I remember January... I liked January.

Ancient history, now :(
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

The directors of our company ask what use are the loans. They're interest free aiui but only for a set period. What happens then? What interest will be charged? What if it's still bad after that time is up?

Their view is the scheme is badly thought out and of no use to a manufacturing sme like they own and run.

They're fed up with unhelpful information but the real information needed isn't coming. They can't plan and act with the drip feed information coming from government.

Right now they've been spending two days solidly trying to get the information they need. These are normally very decisive people who simply cannot make the needed decisions.

It's beyond the idea that nobody knows what's going on. This is information on what the government should know about. Or civil servants or experts.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Tangled Metal wrote:The directors of our company ask what use are the loans. They're interest free aiui but only for a set period. What happens then? What interest will be charged? What if it's still bad after that time is up?

Their view is the scheme is badly thought out and of no use to a manufacturing sme like they own and run.

They're fed up with unhelpful information but the real information needed isn't coming. They can't plan and act with the drip feed information coming from government.

Right now they've been spending two days solidly trying to get the information they need. These are normally very decisive people who simply cannot make the needed decisions.

It's beyond the idea that nobody knows what's going on. This is information on what the government should know about. Or civil servants or experts.

Exactly how this works, depends on exactly how this situation evolves. They can’t say “we’re giving x amount to y” etc because they don’t know how deep and how dark the hole is going to get. It’s impossible to do it proactively, only retrospectively.
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Marcus A, hello,

I've just been told that frogs are being rationed in our local Aldi. There are, apparently, a few toads still available, and an aardvark or two (but only tinned), but as they are out of bread flour I wouldn't be able to make any toast to put them on.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions of where to put my thermometer - although I'm not sure that everyone quite got the right gist .... However, I do like the idea of having a private nurse, if only as a change from a rich widow - and, although I jest about this quite often, I did meet one yesterday, when I had to visit a 'client of a client' as a goodwill gesture. Not in bad nick, either, due to move house and downsize soon and rather scared of the process on her own, so I went along at the behest of a local surveyor to 'hold her hand' through what the process will entail (she finds Estate Agents less than helpful: funny, that).

I really ought to have taken a chaperone: it started when she suggested that I stay for 'fish and chips', and although I've never heard it called that before I sort of got the message, and started to look for an exit strategy. I really did not need to know about he recent ex and his failings in certain quarters, nor about what she might expect from her next hubby (she's had a couple before, apparently). A tricky one: paying customer, one obviously with lots of dosh (huge old house and grounds), but where is the delicate line between giving good service to a client but having to service the client first? Most of you will probably understand what I mean, but if my 'rich widow' stories go a bit quiet for a while you will know that I'm still 'running scared''.

Happy days? Possibly.
David9694

Post by David9694 »

Re: the idea of a London lock-down - won’t many people/ those that can, if given advance notice, simply leave the capital and if so, won’t that cause a host of other problems around containing the spread of the virus?

Can I expect to see hipsters on fixies, perhaps a trendy bar or a funky gallery (or funky bar / trendy gallery) open up? No Uber Eats or Just Eat here, but the pub will fix you up a sandwich.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

David9694 wrote:Re: the idea of a London lock-down - won’t many people/ those that can, if given advance notice, simply leave the capital and if so, won’t that cause a host of other problems around containing the spread of the virus?......

Apparently already happening. Last night/evening, Look East (BBC 18:30 regional magazine program) has a bit about how busy Aldeburgh (Suffolk) has become. Loads of holiday/weekend homes in an expensive area (lots owned by wealthy London region people) and loads of have moved into their holiday home during this time to get away from all those ill people spreading germs and from the report (with film) life goes on as normal there - pubs, afternoon teas, shops, etc. all good and busy ...

Ian
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Went to my local Chinese supermarket. They have put the tinned pangolin meat directly above the tinned bat meat. Will they never learn?

So expect covid 20 to arrive straight after we get over covid 19!
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

No holiday/weekend homes hereabouts!
Ellieb

Post by Ellieb »

Nice to see there are some politicians prepared to tell it like it is:
French Interior Minister Christophe Castaner has said “some people think they’re some kind of modern-day hero when they break the rules – but they’re imbeciles, and a danger to themselves”.”
David9694

Post by David9694 »

Psamathe wrote:
David9694 wrote:Re: the idea of a London lock-down - won’t many people/ those that can, if given advance notice, simply leave the capital and if so, won’t that cause a host of other problems around containing the spread of the virus?......

Apparently already happening. Last night/evening, Look East (BBC 18:30 regional magazine program) has a bit about how busy Aldeburgh (Suffolk) has become. Loads of holiday/weekend homes in an expensive area (lots owned by wealthy London region people) and loads of have moved into their holiday home during this time to get away from all those ill people spreading germs and from the report (with film) life goes on as normal there - pubs, afternoon teas, shops, etc. all good and busy ...

Ian

I saw a similar news item re : North Wales ( some counties reporting hardly any deaths, interestingly). The article basically said “will the English please b****** off”. I forgot about it because I probably thought “no change there, then”.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mercalia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I've got a handle on it all now,AFAIC it's all an Andrex/Butoni conspiracy to boost sales of their 'just like Mama used to make" and 'soft but strong' puppy dog products.
And it's all working wonderfully......

PS, and I strongly suspect Heinz 57 have hand in it all too,there's not a tin of beans for miles 'round these parts :? :shock:

lidl still have plenty of cat litter?

As a substitute for which food?
John
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Oldjohnw wrote:
mercalia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I've got a handle on it all now,AFAIC it's all an Andrex/Butoni conspiracy to boost sales of their 'just like Mama used to make" and 'soft but strong' puppy dog products.
And it's all working wonderfully......

PS, and I strongly suspect Heinz 57 have hand in it all too,there's not a tin of beans for miles 'round these parts :? :shock:

lidl still have plenty of cat litter?

As a substitute for which food?

All-Bran

Ian
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Tangled Metal wrote:Went to my local Chinese supermarket. They have put the tinned pangolin meat directly above the tinned bat meat. Will they never learn?

So expect covid 20 to arrive straight after we get over covid 19!

so its true. They do eat bats? covid19 in a tin. whats the shelf life?
nsew

Re: Corona virus - impact on European tours in next 3 months?

Post by nsew »

chesterpete wrote:
nsew wrote:
JakobW wrote:Apropos the cycling ban chat, the Guardian's Coronavirus live blog just posted the following:

Wishful thinking as potentially huge numbers will take to farting around on bikes to avoid the lockdown. I had the virus 3 weeks ago. Got it from a co-worker who got it from his in school 16 yr old son. First signs were a dry irritant cough that was a clearing of the throat type. That night (Thursday) through Sunday afternoon was total wipe out. Zero appetite, in and out of deep sleep, possibly for 60 out of 72 hours. Certainly not awake for more than 2 hours at any given time. Steady raised temperature for the duration ending with minor chills. Totally fatigued, zero energy. Joint aches and pain made getting out of bed and movement difficult. Took huge mental and physical effort to visit the bathroom. Consumed nothing but black tea and honey. Late Sunday afternoon appetite started to return. Summoned every last bit of energy I could, showered, dressed and made it to local corner shop for 4 pints of milk, honey and 2 packets of weetabix. Warned the shopkeeper I was very sick and asked them not to touch anything. Even speaking was difficult. Spent the next 2.5 days consuming weetabix, listening to radio 4 and sleeping. 12 hour night sleeps were the norm for the 2nd week. Barring the corner shop trip, total isolation for 12 days. All good now.

A good first hand accounts. I'm glad you eventually got through it. Did it affect your breathing at all, as often reported?

Thankfully no respiratory issues other than a cough. As I understand about 20% of cases affect breathing and that’s when the NHS will act. Another colleague down at work today. 6 total now, 5 recovered. One tested and hospitalised after much resistance from the NHS, even after notifying of breathing difficulties.
mercalia

Re: Corona virus - impact on European tours in next 3 months?

Post by mercalia »

nsew wrote:
chesterpete wrote:
nsew wrote:
Wishful thinking as potentially huge numbers will take to farting around on bikes to avoid the lockdown. I had the virus 3 weeks ago. Got it from a co-worker who got it from his in school 16 yr old son. First signs were a dry irritant cough that was a clearing of the throat type. That night (Thursday) through Sunday afternoon was total wipe out. Zero appetite, in and out of deep sleep, possibly for 60 out of 72 hours. Certainly not awake for more than 2 hours at any given time. Steady raised temperature for the duration ending with minor chills. Totally fatigued, zero energy. Joint aches and pain made getting out of bed and movement difficult. Took huge mental and physical effort to visit the bathroom. Consumed nothing but black tea and honey. Late Sunday afternoon appetite started to return. Summoned every last bit of energy I could, showered, dressed and made it to local corner shop for 4 pints of milk, honey and 2 packets of weetabix. Warned the shopkeeper I was very sick and asked them not to touch anything. Even speaking was difficult. Spent the next 2.5 days consuming weetabix, listening to radio 4 and sleeping. 12 hour night sleeps were the norm for the 2nd week. Barring the corner shop trip, total isolation for 12 days. All good now.

A good first hand accounts. I'm glad you eventually got through it. Did it affect your breathing at all, as often reported?

Thankfully no respiratory issues other than a cough. As I understand about 20% of cases affect breathing and that’s when the NHS will act. Another colleague down at work today. 6 total now, 5 recovered. One tested and hospitalised after much resistance from the NHS, even after notifying of breathing difficulties.

are you sure it wasnt "just" the flu as only one was tested? he was tested as having it? if you have incessant coughing, supposedly a sign of the virus you usually cant sleep for long as you wake up with a coughing fit?