Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
djnotts

Re: Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Postby djnotts » 29 Mar 2020, 6:23pm

pete75 wrote:
kwackers wrote:
pete75 wrote:No. If the food supply diminished I could get around that by growing and sourcing it myself. Ditto for water - not difficult to source. Can live without power if by that you mean electricity. If, for example, I developed cataracts I can't fix it myself.

You'll need to have enough planted right now.
You'll also need some sort of weaponry to fight off the attacking hordes.

I'm pretty certain society would collapse without food, but I'd bet against it doing so if there was no health service.

There's a phenomenal amount of wild deer locally not to mention lots of rabbits and the like. Also lots of fields full of growing crops. A friend still has many tons of wheat in his barn.
I think it'd be different in urban areas though.

Well, yes! Deer few and far between round here. Cats maybe. No crops. Looting only a short term solution.

carpetcleaner

Postby carpetcleaner » 29 Mar 2020, 6:51pm

brooksby wrote:My wife was telling me that she was talking to one of our neighbours on a dog walk on Friday. The neighbour asked if we'd done the 'praise the NHS' handclap thing and she said that we hadn't, said she admires anyone working the so-called front line but didn't feel the need to publicly demonstrate it like that. The neighbour replied that she hoped my wife didn't need to use the NHS any time soon, because that would just be karma!

I find this sort of virtue signalling/loyalty test quite worrying.

I find it pitiful.

mjr

Postby mjr » 29 Mar 2020, 7:48pm

Phileas wrote:Covid-19 patients in UK intensive care have 50% survival rate
https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... SApp_Other

Guardian report has 5% correlation with its data showing most cases still ongoing.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 29 Mar 2020, 7:56pm

djnotts wrote:Well, yes! Deer few and far between round here. Cats maybe. No crops. Looting only a short term solution.
Wait a moment! I thought you hail from Nottingham. Well, this bloke from the same parish appears to have had no difficulty :lol: :
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 29 Mar 2020, 8:30pm

But that was over 20 years ago! Gone quite up to date this century.

fullupandslowingdown

Postby fullupandslowingdown » 29 Mar 2020, 8:33pm

brooksby wrote:My wife was telling me that she was talking to one of our neighbours on a dog walk on Friday. The neighbour asked if we'd done the 'praise the NHS' handclap thing and she said that we hadn't, said she admires anyone working the so-called front line but didn't feel the need to publicly demonstrate it like that. The neighbour replied that she hoped my wife didn't need to use the NHS any time soon, because that would just be karma!

I find this sort of virtue signalling/loyalty test quite worrying.

"The horrible thing about the Two Minutes Hate was not that one was obliged to act a part, but, on the contrary, that it was impossible to avoid joining in. Within thirty seconds any pretence was always unnecessary"

Love is Hate
Peace is War
Ignorance is Strength

Nearly all children nowadays were horrible. What was worst of all was that by means of such organizations as the Spies they were systematically turned into ungovernable little savages, and yet this produced in them no tendency whatever to rebel against the discipline of the Party. On the contrary, they adored the Party and everything connected with it… All their ferocity was turned outwards, against the enemies of the State, against foreigners, traitors, saboteurs, thought-criminals. It was almost normal for people over thirty to be frightened of their own children

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 29 Mar 2020, 8:55pm

Agree with brooksby about clapping, an awful racket, rather silly, a sort of ersatz religion like earth hour, while the churches are closed
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 60097
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

fullupandslowingdown

Postby fullupandslowingdown » 29 Mar 2020, 9:42pm

Cugel wrote:It's an old philosophy saw. posed in many guises: "You are at the points of a railway junction with a runaway train coming your way. Switch left will kill just your two children waiting in a carriage down the siding; right will kill twenty other people on the train coming the other way. Which way do you set the points"?
Cugel

switch the points as the train passes over, then it derails and stops in time for the oncoming train to stop, and totally misses the carriage with 2 sproggs in who you texted there was free pizza in papa johns outside of the station, while frantically waving your red knickers at the approaching train.

Syd wrote:
windmiller wrote:Good news that Brompton is providing free bike hire to NHS staff.

Folding bikes make sense for those who may not have room for a non-folding bike at home.

maybe it's because there isn't enough room at the hospital given that many now are carcentric with little cycle facilities, and even less secure cycle facilities.

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 29 Mar 2020, 9:51pm

fullupandslowingdown wrote:
maybe it's because there isn't enough room at the hospital given that many now are carcentric with little cycle facilities, and even less secure cycle facilities.

Four stolen from staff at QMC hospital in one day last week.

Syd

Postby Syd » 29 Mar 2020, 10:08pm

Cugel wrote:It's an old philosophy saw. posed in many guises: "You are at the points of a railway junction with a runaway train coming your way. Switch left will kill just your two children waiting in a carriage down the siding; right will kill twenty other people on the train coming the other way. Which way do you set the points"?
Cugel

switch the points as the train passes over, then it derails and stops in time for the oncoming train to stop, and totally misses the carriage with 2 sproggs in who you texted there was free pizza in papa johns outside of the station, while frantically waving your red knickers at the approaching train.

Syd wrote:
windmiller wrote:Good news that Brompton is providing free bike hire to NHS staff.

Folding bikes make sense for those who may not have room for a non-folding bike at home.

True, not everyone is fortunate enough to have an office, and space in it, to keep their bike whilst at work.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 29 Mar 2020, 10:12pm

Cugel

(snip)

Alas, you cannot derail a train going over points from a single track to one of a pair of branching lines, only when it's going t'other way. Good job you ain't a signalman!

This is all in 1891, of course, as these days an AI does the point switching (if it remembers) and even the train driving. Anytrackup, you cannot text the sprogs although you could try the telegraph. (That telegraph boy dawdles though). They will only sit in the carriage puzzling about what a pizza is.

No one in 1891 would take off and wave their knickers, of any colour! You would be arrested then incarcerated in a loonbin for being highly abnormal, even if you did prevent train crashes. No one wants to go to a Victorian loonbin!

So, there you are still with the quandary. What will you do? Most tend to prefer to answer "nothing" as this is less decisive than "doing something", making it harder for The Beak to assume a crime when you did nothing rather than something. Either way, you will have to live with yourself. This is a condition suffered by many forced by a bad circumstance into pretending they are capable of making rational decisions or even the "right" one because they are clever humans and "know things". The price of hubris, eh?

Cugel, very wary of events and decisions (which I allocate to the ladywife).

carpetcleaner

Postby carpetcleaner » 29 Mar 2020, 10:15pm

Cugel

Syd wrote:

Recently I've had to visit a large city hospital several times. It has a huge car park and totally inadequate cycle parking, enough for about 12 bikes.

Many of the staff are fat. One doctor I saw had his bike in his consultation room. He was not fat.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/obesity/1-4-nur ... vey-finds/

llayercake

Postby llayercake » 29 Mar 2020, 10:20pm

Cugel wrote:
Cugel

(snip)

Alas, you cannot derail a train going over points from a single track to one of a pair of branching lines, only when it's going t'other way. Good job you ain't a signalman!

This is all in 1891, of course, as these days an AI does the point switching (if it remembers) and even the train driving. Anytrackup, you cannot text the sprogs although you could try the telegraph. (That telegraph boy dawdles though). They will only sit in the carriage puzzling about what a pizza is.

No one in 1891 would take off and wave their knickers, of any colour! You would be arrested then incarcerated in a loonbin for being highly abnormal, even if you did prevent train crashes. No one wants to go to a Victorian loonbin!

So, there you are still with the quandary. What will you do? Most tend to prefer to answer "nothing" as this is less decisive than "doing something", making it harder for The Beak to assume a crime when you did nothing rather than something. Either way, you will have to live with yourself. This is a condition suffered by many forced by a bad circumstance into pretending they are capable of making rational decisions or even the "right" one because they are clever humans and "know things". The price of hubris, eh?

Cugel, very wary of events and decisions (which I allocate to the ladywife).

The Kobayashi Maru!

I'd guess that anyone with kids wouldn't even have to think about it.

fullupandslowingdown

Postby fullupandslowingdown » 29 Mar 2020, 10:27pm

Cugel wrote:

......Alas, you cannot derail a train going over points from a single track to one of a pair of branching lines, only when it's going t'other way. Good job you ain't a signalman!.......

wrong, and wrong :D

If you switch the point as the train passes over, some wheels will go one way some the other way and just like in the cabinet, the end result is chaos and the government goes no further. That's assuming the couplings don't snap.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 29 Mar 2020, 10:36pm

Cugel wrote:

......Alas, you cannot derail a train going over points from a single track to one of a pair of branching lines, only when it's going t'other way. Good job you ain't a signalman!.......

wrong, and wrong :D

If you switch the point as the train passes over, some wheels will go one way some the other way and just like in the cabinet, the end result is chaos and the government goes no further. That's assuming the couplings don't snap.

You must be a big nice brawny man-fellow if you can switch a set of points with a train on them! Lendus yer dumbells.

Cugel