Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
User avatar
Syd
Posts: 926
Joined: 23 Sep 2018, 2:27pm

Re: Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Postby Syd » 12 Mar 2020, 10:08pm

My workday has been dominated by Covid 19 from getting on the bus to work until two hours after I arrived home again.

I wont go into detail but needless to say acute hospitals are working hard with the goal to double the capacity in their intensive care units for ventilated patients.

I’ve worked in the NHS for nearly 30 years and in that time seen SARS, MERS, Bird Flu and Swine Flu come and go. The preparation work being done for Covid 19 eclipses all that has gone before.

reohn2
Posts: 40711
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Postby reohn2 » 12 Mar 2020, 10:16pm

mercalia wrote: tinned octopus, thats some new to me.any special nationality that eats that? I'll have a look tomorrow re the porridge

Well at least everyone gets a leg :shock: :wink:

PS,as for porridge,I think I'd rather have the Octopus :cry:
-----------------------------------------------------------

niggle
Posts: 3424
Joined: 11 Mar 2009, 10:29pm
Location: Cornwall, near England

Re: Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Postby niggle » 12 Mar 2020, 11:53pm

reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote: tinned octopus, thats some new to me.any special nationality that eats that? I'll have a look tomorrow re the porridge

Well at least everyone gets a leg :shock: :wink:

PS,as for porridge,I think I'd rather have the Octopus :cry:

But you can make flapjack from porridge oats (as long as you can also get sugar and butter/marge).

mercalia
Posts: 14578
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Postby mercalia » 12 Mar 2020, 11:58pm

What is worrying is that we are being told it wont peak for 3 months :shock: this will create panic buying and hoarding on a large scale?

fullupandslowingdown
Posts: 614
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 5:47pm
Location: missing Snottingham, the home of Raleigh and Boots
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Postby fullupandslowingdown » 13 Mar 2020, 2:52am

If only our MPs were as relaxed and jovial as Kenyan MPs. Can you imagine Dominic Raab doing a prank call?

10:45 12 Mar
Kenyan MP pretends to have coronavirus during committee
A coronavirus phone operator left politicians in stitches after a Kenyan MP anonymously called the ministry of health hotline pretending to have symptoms during a committee sitting.
The legislator Sabina Chege did a test run in front of the health minister who was being questioned on government's preparedness.
The call ended up becoming a comic relief for the committee members when the phone operator asked the caller why she could not take a taxi to the hospital yet she had travelled to China.
The ministry worker had at first said "we do not have any coronavirus in the country" before proceeding to tell the caller she "did not sound to be very sick".
He asked the caller to go to the nearest hospital for check up. When asked which means of transport was best to use they told them to use a taxi to which the caller said she did not have money and the official asked how she managed to go to China without money.
The legislators asked the ministry to ensure staffers are well trained to handle such calls.


Screenshot 2020-03-13 at 02.46.46.png


https://youtu.be/1T9efpN1AEI

Oldjohnw
Posts: 5990
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Postby Oldjohnw » 13 Mar 2020, 4:14am

David9694 wrote:
mercalia wrote:Anyone with a new persistent cough or high temperature is now advised to self-isolate for seven days, as the UK government moves to the "delay" phase of its plan to tackle coronavirus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51857856

well I wonder what will happen if some poor soul is out and about with a cough? lynched? vigilantes?


Today’s advice seemed pretty mild to me, somewhat British, really - don’t go on a cruise ship if you’re Old (duh!), don’t spread your sniffle/cough around if you’ve got one - doesn’t seem an unreasonable ask. There had been some unpleasantness towards individuals but overall, sitting on a train sniffing ranks with putting your feet or a bag on the seats, or spitting as I saw a young guy do today.

10-14 weeks before we hit the peak - China says it thinks it has peaked. “A lot of families are going to lose a loved one before their time” - pretty chilling stuff from the PM. He doesn’t exactly seem all over this issue - I can’t tell if that’s from statesmanship, indifference or incompetence.


Use separate bathrooms at home. That's us doomed.
John

Oldjohnw
Posts: 5990
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Postby Oldjohnw » 13 Mar 2020, 4:36am

So our new blue passports have a use after all.

They give us protection from coronavirus.
John

djnotts
Posts: 1922
Joined: 26 May 2008, 12:51pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Postby djnotts » 13 Mar 2020, 6:14am

Seems clear to me. I catch it, I die. Don't catch it, the boredom of 12 weeks alone at home sounds appalling. Good luck all.

Baydon Flyer
Posts: 1
Joined: 13 Mar 2020, 6:13am

Re: Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Postby Baydon Flyer » 13 Mar 2020, 6:21am

I'm supposed to be going to Mallorca next Friday for a weeks riding with mates, we're concerned that even if we're still able to fly there schedules will be disrupted, that most bike hire, bars, & restaurants will be closed , and we may well get suck out there.
I'd love to hear from anyone who's there at the moment or about to go as to what there views are.

brooksby
Posts: 495
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:02am
Location: Bristol

Re: Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Postby brooksby » 13 Mar 2020, 6:31am

Oldjohnw wrote:
David9694 wrote:
mercalia wrote:Anyone with a new persistent cough or high temperature is now advised to self-isolate for seven days, as the UK government moves to the "delay" phase of its plan to tackle coronavirus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51857856

well I wonder what will happen if some poor soul is out and about with a cough? lynched? vigilantes?


Today’s advice seemed pretty mild to me, somewhat British, really - don’t go on a cruise ship if you’re Old (duh!), don’t spread your sniffle/cough around if you’ve got one - doesn’t seem an unreasonable ask. There had been some unpleasantness towards individuals but overall, sitting on a train sniffing ranks with putting your feet or a bag on the seats, or spitting as I saw a young guy do today.

10-14 weeks before we hit the peak - China says it thinks it has peaked. “A lot of families are going to lose a loved one before their time” - pretty chilling stuff from the PM. He doesn’t exactly seem all over this issue - I can’t tell if that’s from statesmanship, indifference or incompetence.


Use separate bathrooms at home. That's us doomed.


I suspect De Pfeffel Johnson doesn't know that many many households don't have a spare bedroom or more than one bathroom...

brooksby
Posts: 495
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:02am
Location: Bristol

Re: Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Postby brooksby » 13 Mar 2020, 6:34am

djnotts wrote:Seems clear to me. I catch it, I die. Don't catch it, the boredom of 12 weeks alone at home sounds appalling. Good luck all.


Don't forget the fun of being unable to pay your bills and mortgage and no job to go back to at the end.

For me, at the moment, the possible social and economic upheaval seems more scary than the virus :(

Oldjohnw
Posts: 5990
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Postby Oldjohnw » 13 Mar 2020, 7:05am

So for people who get it, 24 days isolation.

For older people who don't have it, three months isolation.
John

mercalia
Posts: 14578
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Postby mercalia » 13 Mar 2020, 7:57am

What do people make of the shares plumeting.

seems so irrational. in fact seems so stupid. it not the end of the world? maybe time to move away from a shares based economy?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51849106

I am fearful how this will affect the YHA. may drive them into bankruptcy? I dont want to share dorms with foreign strangers.
Losing the YHA would be a big loss?

David9694
Posts: 699
Joined: 10 Feb 2018, 8:42am

Re: Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Postby David9694 » 13 Mar 2020, 8:13am

Syd wrote:My workday has been dominated by Covid 19 from getting on the bus to work until two hours after I arrived home again.

I wont go into detail but needless to say acute hospitals are working hard with the goal to double the capacity in their intensive care units for ventilated patients.

I’ve worked in the NHS for nearly 30 years and in that time seen SARS, MERS, Bird Flu and Swine Flu come and go. The preparation work being done for Covid 19 eclipses all that has gone before.


I’m out of the loop at the moment so that’s interesting and reassuring to hear. IIRC, ICUs can support a range of the body’s normal function - will the Coronavirus give us a cohort of patients who are in other respects stable, but just need respiratory support?

pwa
Posts: 13876
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Postby pwa » 13 Mar 2020, 8:21am

mercalia wrote:What do people make of the shares plumeting.

seems so irrational. in fact seems so stupid. it not the end of the world? maybe time to move away from a shares based economy?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51849106

As I said earlier, at some point (not yet) the FTSE will bottom out and that will be the ideal time to put some savings in. The big investors will have been thinking about that for weeks already. There will be a big recovery, though it might take years for shares to get back to where they were a few weeks ago. But I think some big companies will falter and possibly fail in the next couple of months so jumping in just now would be premature.

It is irrational for share prices to fluctuate so wildly but unless you want to access the value of your shares right now it matters less that might be at first apparent. What matters more is where they are when things have settled after the pandemic.