Strange way to pay

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: Strange way to pay

Postby 661-Pete » 7 Mar 2020, 10:27am

kwackers wrote:In a similar vein, forcing folk to regularly change their passwords doesn't work for exactly the same reason.
The more often you make them change it the more likely they are to write the new one down.
I agree about that! Something I had to do at work.

My practice was to change just one digit in the password, from '1' to '2' then to '3' etc. The company's security app wasn't clever enough to spot that my change was so trivial. So I got away with it. I can reveal all this now, seeing as I've long since retired.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

100%JR

Postby 100%JR » 7 Mar 2020, 10:37am

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
So you have many passwords for web sites etc.
How do you remember them all?
If you dont write them down.......

How do you remember even one strong website password?

The same way you remember everything?I have about 12 or 14 on passwords for various platforms Not difficult to remember them.They’re my passwords....why would I not remember????
I know all the numbers on all my bank cards.The 16 digit number is just 4x4 so it’s just a case of remembering 4 digits 4 times.It really is quite simple.Telephone numbers,postcodes etc it’s not difficult.

Eammno wrote:Also something to be aware of in Europe (at least in France) pay at the pump takes €99 which is refunded, which is OK until you use a pre paid card and you need to fill two or three times in a day which means if you loaded the card with a couple of hundred Euros your credit is quickly exhausted as the refund doesn't come back quickly.
On a recent motorcycle trip across France one of the chaps went through the validation payment twice on one stop, the first time on a pump that only had diesel, so although he'd only spent €30 or so, next stop his payment failed as he'd only loaded the card with €200.

Never had this with our prepaid cards in France!

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 7 Mar 2020, 11:38am

seems there is going to be something in the budget to protect the use of cash. good.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 7 Mar 2020, 12:32pm

661-Pete wrote:My practice was to change just one digit in the password, from '1' to '2' then to '3' etc. The company's security app wasn't clever enough to spot that my change was so trivial. So I got away with it. I can reveal all this now, seeing as I've long since retired.
When I was working in the communications centre in the Clyde Submarine Base 1982 to 1985, the three of us technicians had a safe for the confidential and secret handbooks.

The combination had to be changed every six months, and a copy of it was in a sealed envelope in the boss's safe. Each time the combination was changed, a new sealed envelope was done. The boss would open the "old" envelope and when you weren't looking, he would try the old combination to try to catch us out. :wink:

What we did was .......... Fred's birthday (and I still remember it after all these years) was 28th Oct 1950.
We set the combination to 28-10-50 ............ 00 at the end of course, then you turn the dial anticlockwise and the door opens.
Six months later, we went to 38-20-70, and six months after that, 48-30-80 etc etc

Simple eh?
Mick F. Cornwall

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 7 Mar 2020, 1:28pm

mercalia wrote:seems there is going to be something in the budget to protect the use of cash. good.

What's that going to be?

Surely cash is dying because people find it easier not to use it?

Much easier to keep a single bank card in your pocket and pay in a second or two than have a pocket full of jingling change.
In fact I feel personally affronted when paying for parking and almost any of those stupid little things that need a small amount of cash from you when the machine doesn't support contactless payments, or buying a sandwich or similar in a shop.

I'm all for people using cash if they want, but I'm struggling to see what they could do in the budget that would make me use it.
Free cash perhaps? I might go for that.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 7 Mar 2020, 2:18pm

kwackers wrote:
mercalia wrote:seems there is going to be something in the budget to protect the use of cash. good.

What's that going to be?

Surely cash is dying because people find it easier not to use it?

Much easier to keep a single bank card in your pocket and pay in a second or two than have a pocket full of jingling change.
In fact I feel personally affronted when paying for parking and almost any of those stupid little things that need a small amount of cash from you when the machine doesn't support contactless payments, or buying a sandwich or similar in a shop.

I'm all for people using cash if they want, but I'm struggling to see what they could do in the budget that would make me use it.
Free cash perhaps? I might go for that.

this all I know

Around two million people in the UK still rely on cash for their day-to-day spending - with three in 10 payments still made using notes and coins.

The Treasury is expected to start talks with the Bank of England, the Financial Conduct Authority and the Payment Systems Regulator about legislation immediately after the budget on 11 March.

One area being looked at is whether to give watchdogs new powers to ensure banks continue to properly support their customers' cash needs.

presumably compel them to keep atms and counters manned by cashiers ( The Barclays in Streatham doesnt have any cashiers any more or rather only one for business transactions)

https://news.sky.com/story/budget-2020-chancellor-to-introduce-laws-to-protect-the-future-of-cash-11951581

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 7 Mar 2020, 2:29pm

Too much information Mick F!!!

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 7 Mar 2020, 2:30pm

There was advice from security experts that writing down passwords was more secure than a lot of other means people used. For example allowing your phone browser to remember then or saving them in a note on your phone/ computer/ tablet. Iirc once a last pass type app had their servers hacked with secured passwords being accessed.

There is no best option just use the most secure option you can get along with and hope it keeps stuff safe and secure.

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 7 Mar 2020, 2:59pm

Tangled Metal wrote:Iirc once a last pass type app had their servers hacked with secured passwords being accessed.

Lastpass is encrypted on your own machine, they don't store anything of use to hackers.
If you managed to hack it you'd have an ocean of nonsense you couldn't do anything with.

No idea how other apps work but I'd be surprised if any of the 'big' boys did anything different.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 7 Mar 2020, 6:13pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
661-Pete wrote:
mercalia wrote:you have to be careful with small charges like that. Thieves often make small purchases with a stolen credit card to see if the card is valid and will work - small purchases often are below the radar of fraud detection systems?
One reason why I never use contactless. At least not in shops - I always insert the card and type the PIN. I'd like to know if there's a means of disabling contactless - except for one thing: I've used it for travelling on the London Underground - where there's no option, unless you want to queue for hours.

But do you always cover the keypad with your other hand?
I stood behind one chap in the post office once, he was drawing out 5K in cash.
Afterwards I suggested to him that we should always cover the keypad with his hand.
I always do this as a matter in fact wherever I am even down the local supermarket et cetera.
Someone In the local news the other day Was prosecuted as part of a gang who would stand behind people in queues at tills to gain their pin number and then mug them outside down the street.
You tend to find that the people who do not cover the keypad to protect their pin, also reuse passwords and simple things like names and date codes.
Fact 2/3 of people actually reuse passwords, those tend to be also simple like their pets name.
You're not one of those are you Pete?

There are other ways to get a pin. This happened near here just over ten years ago.
https://thetruecrimeenthusiast.co.uk/20 ... alan-wood/

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 8 Mar 2020, 9:22am

philvantwo wrote:Too much information Mick F!!!
Too much information about what?

It was a valid story saying that you can change a password or a combination regularly so long as you know the basic idea in the first place.
Any security info in my post is long-since dead and Fred emigrated to Oz back in the late 80s.

As far as I know, the whole building has gone now and a nice new one built in it's place. You can't get into a com-cen unless you've been positively vetted anyway, let alone being allowed into the submarine base.
Mick F. Cornwall

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 8 Mar 2020, 10:54am

Too much personal information Mick F!!

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 8 Mar 2020, 11:38am

I'm an open book.
Mick F. Cornwall

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 8 Mar 2020, 8:48pm

Open book eh?

skicat

Postby skicat » 9 Mar 2020, 1:24pm

I'm surprised no-one has brought up 'correcthorsebatterystaple' yet :? We've been using diceware at work for a couple of years now (and using actual dice) and our passwords have never been more secure.
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get