Good news (Harvey Weinstein)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

Re: Good news

Post by Mike Sales »

pete75 wrote: My point was that it's cheaper than almost all forms of punishment so, using your logic, almost all convicted criminals should be shot to save money.

Only drivers surely, pour encourager les autres.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

pete75 wrote:
100%JR wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
He never committed capital offence. He will not be in prison for 23 years. He will be unlike to survive 5. The sentences are consecutive so each offence gets a sentence then they get added on.

So?
You could argue,and I would,that what he did is worse than a capital offence :x

You said the man should be shot because it costs less than putting him in prison - in other words you think convicted criminals should be killed because it costs less than prison. My point was that it's cheaper than almost all forms of punishment so, using your logic, almost all convicted criminals should be shot to save money.

No that is how you have (wrongly) interpreted what I meant :roll:
This "man" has sexually assaulted dozens(probably 100s) of women.He isn't "any" convicted criminal.Murder,rape,child sexual abuse...all deserve to be put down as you would an animal.That's what they are.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Oldjohnw wrote:Personally I oppose the ultimate penalty in every circumstance. Being in prison for decades could be a fate worse than death, anyway.

So if someone killed or raped one of yours you'd oppose the death penalty?
I'd pull the trigger myself or flick the switch myself 8)
Each to his own.
There's a reason prisons worldwide are full of lifers who go on to kill whilst in prison.They don't care.Terminate them then the problem ceases to exist.
pwa

Post by pwa »

100%JR wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Personally I oppose the ultimate penalty in every circumstance. Being in prison for decades could be a fate worse than death, anyway.

Each to his own.
There's a reason prisons worldwide are full of lifers who go on to kill whilst in prison.They don't care.Terminate them then the problem ceases to exist.

HW didn't kill anyone. He did some bad things and now he will be locked away for a long time, probably the rest of his life. That seems about right to me.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

peetee wrote:Oh. I thought you were going to tell us it was going to stop raining. :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh - nice one Pete!
If only!
reohn2

Re: Good news (Harvey Weinstein)

Post by reohn2 »

There are a few problems with capital punishment two of them are a)there are many examples of miscarriages of justice where the wrong person has been convicted,b)if capital punishment is the sentence the perpetrator is more likely to kill their victims because they're the one's likely to be able to identify them.
That's quite apart from there being no chance of rehabilitation once the offender is dead.
Go figure.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

100%JR wrote:

Each to his own.

Yes.

And I doubt that there is a single prison full of lifers who go on to kill whilst in prison. It happens very occasionally.
John
pete75

Post by pete75 »

100%JR wrote:
pete75 wrote:
100%JR wrote:So?
You could argue,and I would,that what he did is worse than a capital offence :x

You said the man should be shot because it costs less than putting him in prison - in other words you think convicted criminals should be killed because it costs less than prison. My point was that it's cheaper than almost all forms of punishment so, using your logic, almost all convicted criminals should be shot to save money.

No that is how you have (wrongly) interpreted what I meant :roll:
This "man" has sexually assaulted dozens(probably 100s) of women.He isn't "any" convicted criminal.Murder,rape,child sexual abuse...all deserve to be put down as you would an animal.That's what they are.

May I remind you what you said? "Jailing a 67 year old for 23 years is pointless. A bullet in the head is much cheaper. "
No justification in that statement other than cost.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Some might say that putting a man of his age and with his very privileged life into Rikers correctional facility for a period of time he's unlikely to survive is a good enough punishment.

Besides, with the death penalty process taking so long and costing so much it actually works out cheaper to keep a prisoner in for life than actually giving him the death penalty. Especially so if you factor in his age and alleged ill health.

Of course if you're suggesting no due legal process just summarily executing him then I wonder what other areas of law and order can be dispensed with? In your world are we best going to judge dredd style law where a paramilitary police force act as police, judge, prosecutor, in place of a jury and executioner? I doubt that but imho pathetic attempts at expressing machismo and mob law like that is equally stupid idea. Rule of law based on human rights was hard fought for. Knee jerking idiots should be ignored.

Sorry, I'm in a bad mood and it's coming out here.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Morning all, Money & privilege will get him a softer time in stir than he should have! He will get a cushy number, far easier than he deserves, probably wangle a "Medically Controlled Diet, something he should be denied! Feed him Offal 24/7/52, give the real sufferers in life the quality diet.
I think all of his recent medical frailty shennanagins to be quite sickening, he comes over as a "Faker" rather than a "Fakir"! He'll do an Ernest Saunders, the world's only person to get remission from Alzheimer's, pure courtroom posing.
I hope he lives in a sub-human hell for many years, good value for the prison dollar, fun for him in the shower :lol: :lol: :lol: MM
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

100%JR wrote:I'd pull the trigger myself or flick the switch myself 8)
Each to his own.
I'll give you four names which explain my position on capital punishment:
  • Ruth Ellis
  • Derek Bentley
  • Timothy Evans
  • Mahmood Mattan
The reason why the fourth name in that list is so much less well-known than the others, is obvious - " 'e were a ruddy forrinur, what"? Racism alive and kicking. But his conviction for murder was just as unsafe as the others, and he was posthumously acquitted in 1998. As to Ruth Ellis - yes I know she confessed to the murder of her abusive lover - a crime which wouldn't even have attracted a life sentence today.

But the question: would I call for the death penalty in the most extreme cases? - that's a difficult one to answer. I remember a conversation I had many years ago, when capital punishment in Britain was still being debated, with a woman of Polish origin who had escaped Nazi Germany. When a young woman, she survived apparently by working incognito as a housemaid to an SS officer's family. There were a number of similar cases of Jewish women who escaped in this way - cf. the character in Schindler's List.

She lost all the rest of her family though.

Anyway, I was arguing with this lady about capital punishment, and she almost shouted at me "Would you have spared Hitler? Would you have spared Himmler? Would you have spared Goebbels?" etc. etc. I must confess I found it impossible to answer her. Would you have?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pwa

Post by pwa »

It is definitely off topic, but as it has been raised, the use of the death penalty for murder convictions where there has been any doubt about the conviction is something we can never have again because we know that innocent people have been convicted in the past. We have only to think of the Birmingham Six or the Guildford Four, and there are numerous other cases of innocent people being convicted for murder.

As for HW, he is getting exactly what he deserves and the rest of us should just rejoice in the fact he is shut away.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Oldjohnw wrote:
100%JR wrote:

Each to his own.

Yes.
And I doubt that there is a single prison full of lifers who go on to kill whilst in prison. It happens very occasionally.

Very occasionally?
Approx 150 murders per year in US Jails(5 murders per 100,000 inmates).That's roughly 3 per week.
reohn2 wrote:That's quite apart from there being no chance of rehabilitation once the offender is dead.
Go figure.

Look at the re-offender stats.Rehabilitation doesn't necessarily work :roll:
Termination works every time :wink:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

100%JR wrote:
reohn2 wrote:That's quite apart from there being no chance of rehabilitation once the offender is dead.
Go figure.

Look at the re-offender stats.Rehabilitation doesn't necessarily work :roll:
Termination works every time :wink:

Even on the inoccent ones,that's been proven more than once unfortunately.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Given the ongoing murder rater in some of the countries that have the death penalty, it doesn't seem to be working to me.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....