Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Debs

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by Debs »

Syd wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Syd wrote:Just visited the Morrisons website to see if they had released any new delivery slots yet.

Even on the site I was placed in a queue with 27,706 people ahead of me!

I hope you dont starve....

Thanks but got a delivery last week. Was looking to book another for a couple of weeks, possibly three, ahead.

Another week or two and we'll have to get our Christmas orders in :|
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

about 70 bread loaves in my local tesco all short dated and reduced this evening. Walked straight in didn't have to queue. But no proper rice still. No bars of soap. I think I saw some bogroll though, but got mine earlier from FF. There was about 12 baskets of reduced veg as well. And the staff were reducing a shelf full of pies, pizzas and such like.

So either my theory about throttling off their own sales with item limit plus strict social distancing, has come to pass, else all the hoarders have finally exceeded their fridge/freezer capacity and stopped buying. Or the supply chain has over reacted and sent far too much up stream.

As to bins full of food, are these actual pictures of householder's bins taken in the last week, or pictures from some previous event, or most likely the results of restaurants etc having to bin food when they got closed down... Just asking.

edition: could... could even have been where restaurant/cafe staff upon been laid off were given the stock of food to take with them as compo, but as happens ran out of stomach capacity before the food went orf. Just to make my point - remember that picture from 2 weeks ago supposedly depicting a horde of 'panic buyers' loading cars with trolleys full of bogroll et al. It took just 10 seconds to verify that that picture was taken at costco which is a bulk buy shop. So scenes like that, at that place would be normal all year round. Before we become as bad as the 'others' we need to engage our discriminating brains to make sure we're not been dailymailed into false indignation.

On the other hand, if it really was pictures of householders waste bins stuffed full of wasted panic bought food - well words fail me, when in a world there are so many people have barely enough food to survive. Maybe we do need rationing brought back.

edition #2 \/\/\/\/ I've eaten at a few cafes where they use whatever is cheapest. Not many times though :?
Last edited by fullupandslowingdown on 28 Mar 2020, 9:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

fullupandslowingdown wrote:
As to bins full of food, are these actual pictures of householder's bins taken in the last week, or pictures from some previous event, or most likely the results of restaurants etc having to bin food when they got closed down... Just asking.

Looked like a genuine terraced street to me. It would be a pathetic restaurant serving Tesco fish cakes and chicken nuggets.
Here is the councillor's feed https://twitter.com/AtwalAjit/status/12 ... 5600285696
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
fullupandslowingdown

edition #3

I don't normally click on links but I did this time, hopefully my PC won't have any viruses now

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 21.42.13.png

so, the other option that I should have thought of, but forgot.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mrs P says that at her school, if a kid didn't eat their school dinner, they were made to sit in a corner of the classroom with the cold plate in front of them, not allowed home till they'd eaten it up.

I don't recall if the same treatment was meted out in my school, but I remember being sent to the head teacher and given a stern dressing-down, if I didn't finish my plate.

At home, discipline was somewhat stricter. If I didn't eat up, it sometimes meant a beating from my father.

I appreciate that times have moved on since then. We don't treat kids that way any more.

So - how should we be treating adults who buy food and then waste it for no good reason? Any suggestions - whether based on my recollections above, or not?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

661-Pete wrote:Mrs P says that at her school, if a kid didn't eat their school dinner, they were made to sit in a corner of the classroom with the cold plate in front of them, not allowed home till they'd eaten it up.

I don't recall if the same treatment was meted out in my school, but I remember being sent to the head teacher and given a stern dressing-down, if I didn't finish my plate.

At home, discipline was somewhat stricter. If I didn't eat up, it sometimes meant a beating from my father.

I appreciate that times have moved on since then. We don't treat kids that way any more.

So - how should we be treating adults who buy food and then waste it for no good reason? Any suggestions - whether based on my recollections above, or not?

locked in their home until they have eaten it all
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

fullupandslowingdown wrote:about 70 bread loaves in my local tesco all short dated and reduced this evening. Walked straight in didn't have to queue. But no proper rice still. No bars of soap. I think I saw some bogroll though, but got mine earlier from FF. There was about 12 baskets of reduced veg as well. And the staff were reducing a shelf full of pies, pizzas and such like.

So either my theory about throttling off their own sales with item limit plus strict social distancing, has come to pass, else all the hoarders have finally exceeded their fridge/freezer capacity and stopped buying. Or the supply chain has over reacted and sent far too much up stream.

the test is whether the fresh raw meat/frozen cabinets are still empty? if they are then the scavengers are still hoarding. it would be funny if there was a power outage and their freezers all thawed. :twisted:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

fullupandslowingdown wrote:edition #3

I don't normally click on links but I did this time, hopefully my PC won't have any viruses now

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 21.42.13.png

so, the other option that I should have thought of, but forgot.

I’ve read a few of the further tweets and it’s usual to disregard any comment from someone with a handful of followers. The first Lady in particular. You managed a screen shot why didn’t the guy who is so clever he could read the date. My guess on that packet was 16th.
Someone eventually will identify the type of brick in that street and location with that type/ colour of bin. One suggestion has been Staffordshire. Looking through the councillor's media he certainly has an interest in waste and dumping.

E2E info
fullupandslowingdown

I'm vegi, so the only freezers I look at are the empty ones without quorn :( bloody selfish fffing vegetarians, how dare they :P
I suppose if I had a freezer at my bedsit then I'd have bought in a few bags, but I don't, so I didn't. The last fridge I had went bang so I don't bother with anything that won't survive 24 hours uncooked. Roll on when I can go back home.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

661-Pete wrote:Mrs P says that at her school, if a kid didn't eat their school dinner, they were made to sit in a corner of the classroom with the cold plate in front of them, not allowed home till they'd eaten it up.

Ah the trauma of school dinners. At primary school I used to dread having Miss Huck at the head of our table if it was cheese pie day. She used to make everyone eat everything. I used to hate cheese pie and three years later I loved it. :)

E2E info
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Paulatic wrote:Ah the trauma of school dinners. At primary school I used to dread having Miss Huck at the head of our table if it was cheese pie day. She used to make everyone eat everything. I used to hate cheese pie and three years later I loved it. :)
Same for me, except that the pet hate for me was the stew (with added gristle) - and the gorgon at the table-head was named Miss Jarman. She was a nightmare!
Last edited by 661-Pete on 28 Mar 2020, 10:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
fullupandslowingdown

Paulatic wrote:I’ve read a few of the further tweets and it’s usual to disregard any comment from someone with a handful of followers. The first Lady in particular. You managed a screen shot why didn’t the guy who is so clever he could read the date. My guess on that packet was 16th.
Someone eventually will identify the type of brick in that street and location with that type/ colour of bin. One suggestion has been Staffordshire. Looking through the councillor's media he certainly has an interest in waste and dumping.

that explains why no one takes notice of me :? I can see your point, though not been a twitterati I don't know the nuances of that tree. But I only have 14 FB friends. I could have many more, but I have limited myself only to the family members with brains, if they post too many right wing rubbish I unfriend them. So if I was on twitter, I might have the odd thing to say, like on here, but wouldn't seek hundreds of followers. my boat, my paddle.

But it all does reinforce my initial reason for cautioning scepticism. Too many people have axes to grind. Despite myself, I went back again and got as far as a tweet from the sun picture desk asking for permission to repost down the toilet, I mean in the sun paper. So if it is entirely genuine, then somebody is going to be shamed nationwide. But if it's a mistake, the people of Derby will be well peeved about it.

Pitch forks belong in the hay loft.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Supermarkets are restricting the sale of many items to four or less yet the government says keep shopping trips to buy essentials to a minimum. :roll:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pete75 wrote:Supermarkets are restricting the sale of many items to four or less yet the government says keep shopping trips to buy essentials to a minimum. :roll:

I went shopping the other day and was limited to 3 of any item. I have a pack of rice cakes for lunch each day, now out (as been having to eat them for supper as well) but was only allowed 3 so I'll have to make a return visit tomorrow as I'll be out again (rather than being able to wait a week). Except they still didn't have fresh (or frozen) veg so have to go back to get something to eat.

And I see Sooty has now (re-)started the "It's going to get worse" which will undoubtedly drive even more panic in the supermarkets.

Ian
Graham

Post by Graham »

Round my way things are looking better. In recent days I have bought :-
- Strong White flour for bread ( A mild feeling of euphoria as I got this. Bread-making-Endtime apocalypse averted for another week. )
- Pasta (wholegrain)
- Passata
- Porridge Oats
- My favourite Tea & Coffee

Following a couple of early morning queuing sessions I'll revert to sculking around near closing time ==> no queuing + much better distancing opportunities.