Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by Psamathe »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I did a shop today and managed to get enough veg for two days - big success after last few weeks so I'm happy.

But there were a few of couples with two trolleys between two in the queue (couples because they were standing together and one holding 2 trolleys when the other went for a wander). two of the big deep trolleys as well.

Ian

I had two trolleys yesterday - one for our household of five and one for the two next door I was also shopping for.

Out of interest, how did you identify one trolley for others (my supermarket is very strict on max. quantities of different products).

Reason for asking: A friend has a severe lung issue (nothing to do with C-19 but she isn't far from hospital on her better days). Her husband can do shopping but she really needs to avoid C-19 and her husband bringing it into her house. I've offered to shop for them but I think they feel sending me out to queue again, etc. is too much to ask, but if I could do two shops at once (their's and mine) then it would be no grief for me and they'd probably accept the offer but my telling supermarket one trolley for me, one for a lung compromised neighbour would probably not be accepted at face value.

Ian
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Psamathe wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I did a shop today and managed to get enough veg for two days - big success after last few weeks so I'm happy.

But there were a few of couples with two trolleys between two in the queue (couples because they were standing together and one holding 2 trolleys when the other went for a wander). two of the big deep trolleys as well.

Ian

I had two trolleys yesterday - one for our household of five and one for the two next door I was also shopping for.

Out of interest, how did you identify one trolley for others (my supermarket is very strict on max. quantities of different products).

Reason for asking: A friend has a severe lung issue (nothing to do with C-19 but she isn't far from hospital on her better days). Her husband can do shopping but she really needs to avoid C-19 and her husband bringing it into her house. I've offered to shop for them but I think they feel sending me out to queue again, etc. is too much to ask, but if I could do two shops at once (their's and mine) then it would be no grief for me and they'd probably accept the offer but my telling supermarket one trolley for me, one for a lung compromised neighbour would probably not be accepted at face value.

Ian

has the neighbour some kind of letter or id you could borrow?
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Psamathe wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:

Ian

Ian

I just told the lady at checkout, wasn't challenged.

I was pulled up on having four packs of unsalted butter in my trolley (there were also two in the other trolley, no problem). They offered to swap one for another brand so I wasn't over the three limit - which applies to the specific SKU apparently - I declined as wasn't desperate, they then carefully discovered some "damage" to one of the packs so they could give it to me for free!

Nice, sensible people.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mercalia wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:

Ian

has the neighbour some kind of letter or id you could borrow?

No idea. Phoned them, had a chat, offered and they said they were coping but were having to go shopping every 2 days (or rather husband was) - which must increase the risk of him bringing it into their house (and I'm pretty relaxed about my personal risk of catching it so extra shop runs don't worry me).

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:

Ian

I just told the lady at checkout, wasn't challenged.

I was pulled up on having four packs of unsalted butter in my trolley (there were also two in the other trolley, no problem). They offered to swap one for another brand so I wasn't over the three limit - which applies to the specific SKU apparently - I declined as wasn't desperate, they then carefully discovered some "damage" to one of the packs so they could give it to me for free!

Nice, sensible people.

I can't see my supermarket accepting that. I was pulled-up for 4 packs of rice cakes - explained I consume 1 pack per day and 3 limit will mean more frequent visits only because of rice cakes, supervisor was asked, referred to manager and no, only 3 packs. Ironically, accidentally in the same shop I purchased 4 of the same ready meals but they don't stand out so obviously and by chance two were unloaded at the front and the other two at the back and that there were 4 was not noticed!- I was not aware of any limit when until I got to the tills.

Ian
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

We need a scheme which prevent non-workers from attending food shops for 4 days a week. At the moment the people who are doing the least to help the country through this crisis have the easiest access to food supplies.

I'm sure that the queues outside food shops at weekends would be considerably shorter if non-workers were banned from joining them.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

carpetcleaner wrote:We need a scheme which prevent non-workers from attending food shops for 4 days a week. At the moment the people who are doing the least to help the country through this crisis have the easiest access to food supplies.

I'm sure that the queues outside food shops at weekends would be considerably shorter if non-workers were banned from joining them.

hmm I suppose you are a "worker"? I think the need to queue is having an effect at my lidls, ie they aint, why there is meat in the store and tins, and stuff in the freezers now, unlike out side my Santander where the queue was half way down the street.

cetainly nhs staff etc should be able to register at a store and give a list of things they need and the trolly ready for them to collect when they want or are able.
Last edited by mercalia on 4 Apr 2020, 6:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

carpetcleaner wrote:We need a scheme which prevent non-workers from attending food shops for 4 days a week. At the moment the people who are doing the least to help the country through this crisis have the easiest access to food supplies.

Absolutely. People who have spent half a century paying taxes have no rights to obtaining food. Who on earth do they think they are, going to shops a couple of times a week and all?
John
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Peru is restricting leaving their homes, men one day, women another on alternate days with nobody allowed out on Sundays. Panama using a similar scheme with the added constraint that on you allotted days you are only allowed out for 2 hrs (though I've no idea how that could be policed). Plus e.g. Panama has a nighttime curfew (17:00 to 05:00 nobody can go out). Whilst they (Panama) has had few fatalities I guess a lot depends on where they are "on the curve" so I'd not be suggesting their restrictions are resulting in their low numbers of fatalities.

That said I have no idea where "non-binary" individuals fit or if they get every day (or no days).

Ian
Last edited by Psamathe on 4 Apr 2020, 6:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Psamathe wrote:

Peru is restricting leaving their homes, men one day, women another on alternate days with nobody allowed out on Sundays. Panama using a similar scheme with the added constraint that on you allotted days you are only allowed out for 2 hrs (though I've no idea how that could be policed). Plus e.g. Panama has a nighttime curfew (17:00 to 05:00 nobody can go out). Whilst they (Panama) has had few fatalities I guess a lot depends on where they are "on the curve" so I'd not be suggesting their restrictions are resulting in their low numbers of fatalities.

That said I have no idea where "non-binary" individuals fit or if they get every day (or no days).

Ian

also how many foreigner visit the country? Why Europe has been hit so hard and Africa not? Shows that Europe is still a centre of the world?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mercalia wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

also how many foreigner visit the country? Why Europe has been hit so hard and Africa not? Shows that Europe is still a centre of the world?

Or just a question of timing. There is a very large Chinese presence in many African countries. Also, speed and extent of response. Some SE Asian countries are doing pretty well given the Chinese tourism they host (at least doing pretty well last time I heard things, maybe I'm out of date).

Ian
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Anyone who works weekends will of course have to fight it with the non workers who couldn’t shop at the weekend.
What a special world you must inhabit.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Good idea. Also let's penalise cycle-shoppers who can't carry such a big load in one trip, while we're about it. The absolute bounders! - why don't they eat their bicycles if they're that hungry?!

For the record, we're not going shopping at weekends at present. Nor are we going at the priority times allocated to health workers.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

if any one here shops at Lidl and looking for easycook white rice look out for this pkt as it seems no one is buying it atleast at Streatham lidl probably thinking it already contains the water ( that type of rice is foul IMHO). it doesnt is just perforated sachets of dried rice , best before 24/12/2021. Could be useful for camping? no messy pans?

easy cook rice not what it seems ( good)
easy cook rice not what it seems ( good)

also at Streatham lidl they actually had some liquid hand soap - in fact quite a few
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

mercalia wrote:

hmm I suppose you are a "worker"? I think the need to queue is having an effect at my lidls, ie they aint, why there is meat in the store and tins, and stuff in the freezers now, unlike out side my Santander where the queue was half way down the street.

cetainly nhs staff etc should be able to register at a store and give a list of things they need and the trolly ready for them to collect when they want or are able.

I am a key worker.

I have to shop for myself and my elderly father who lives a few miles away. There is no doubt that my shopping trips are made much more difficult and time consuming because a lot of people with non-essential jobs are now not working and have lots of time to strip the shelves. With a full time job to do my limited leisure time is now increasingly devoted to shopping while millions of others with with no work to do at the moment have huge amounts of leisure time to shop or do anything else they choose.

Hoarders are very selfish people.

It makes no sense to let idle people who are not essential to the health and the economy of the nation at this time have the most access to food.

If the hoarders continue their selfishness much longer I'll simply quit my 'key worker' job and join them. I could easily get my job back and I can easily do without a few month's pay.

Why should I work hard to provide an essential service for selfish people who show no consideration for me or anyone else?